Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dawson and the HOF
I'm never for lowering the bar for the HOF but Andre is clearly over the bar, where it's currently set. In...as a Cub.

Then again, the way I feel about the '84 Cubs, I'd probably support Bobby Dernier.
<!--quoteo(post=74151:date=Jan 5 2010, 04:03 PM:name=jstraw)-->QUOTE (jstraw @ Jan 5 2010, 04:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I'm never for lowering the bar for the HOF but Andre is clearly over the bar, where it's currently set. In...as a Cub.

Then again, the way I feel about the '84 Cubs, I'd probably support Bobby Dernier.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Dawson wasn't on the 84 Cubs, just saying.
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Some of his numbers speak loudly. There aren't too many Hall of Famers who won a rookie of the year and an MVP, finished second in the MVP race in two other seasons, started seven All-Star Games and won eight Gold Gloves and four Silver Sluggers. Dawson was one of the greatest combinations of speed, power and defense in history. He had 438 home runs and 314 steals; Barry Bonds and Willie Mays are the only others in the 400-300 club.

Dawson finished with 2,774 hits (more than Ted Williams and Billy Williams), 1,591 RBIs (more than Willie Stargell and Willie McCovey) and 438 home runs (more than anyone eligible for the Hall except Jose Canseco, Dave Kingman and Mark McGwire). There are 18 players eligible for Cooperstown who have 1,500 RBIs and 400 homers, and they are all in. There are 11 eligible players with 2,700 hits, 1,500 RBIs and 400 homers. They're all in.

Dawson was as good defensively as offensively. He, Mays, Mike Schmidt, Ken Griffey Jr. and Bonds are the only players to hit 400 homers and win eight Gold Gloves.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

ESPN article
Jim Rice getting in is going to open the door for a lot of borderline players, Dawson included, to get in. Which I don't like, but whatever.

Do the Expos have an inductee yet?
<!--quoteo(post=74182:date=Jan 5 2010, 05:27 PM:name=FlyAtTheThigh)-->QUOTE (FlyAtTheThigh @ Jan 5 2010, 05:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Jim Rice getting in is going to open the door for a lot of borderline players, Dawson included, to get in. Which I don't like, but whatever.

Do the Expos have an inductee yet?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Gary Carter.
<!--quoteo(post=74182:date=Jan 5 2010, 06:27 PM:name=FlyAtTheThigh)-->QUOTE (FlyAtTheThigh @ Jan 5 2010, 06:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Do the Expos have an inductee yet?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Gary Carter, which was decided for him:

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->In his sixth year on the ballot, Gary Carter was elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame along with Eddie Murray on January 7, 2003. Carter had originally requested if he could have the plaque as half an Expo and half a Met, and though the media took it as one of his jokes, it was a legitimate debate as to with which team he would be associated.[10] Carter himself had expressed a preference to be inducted as an Expo during his final season, however, with the uncertainty of the franchise, and Carter working for the Mets organization since retiring as a player, winning his only World Series title with the Mets, and became a media celebrity during his stint in New York, Carter had changed his mind by the time the moment arrived, and expressed a preference toward the Mets. However, Carter played twelve seasons in Montreal, as opposed to only five in New York. The final decision rested with the Hall of Fame, and Hall president Dale Petroskey declared that Carter's achievements with the Expos had earned his induction, whereas his play with the Mets by itself would not have.[11] At the induction ceremony, Carter spoke a few words of French, thanking fans in Montreal for the great honor and pleasure of playing in that city. Carter is so far the only Expo to be inducted into Cooperstown.[12]<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
One dick can poke an eye out. A hundred dicks can move mountains.
--Veryzer

1. Expos are no more, so no push for that

2. Best years as a Cub

3. "Hall of Very Good", are you fucking kidding me?
Dawson was the Best in baseball for about 6 years.
Should be in HOF for sure.
Fat Bastard is an immensely obese, hardly able to walk (weighing a metric ton) gardener and henchman hailing from Scotland. His extreme size endows Fat Bastard with super-human strength as exhibited by his prowess in the Sumo ring from Goldmember. This makes him a formidable enemy for Austin Powers. Fat Bastard is noted for his foul temper, his frequent flatulence, his vulgar and revolting bad manners and his unusual eating habits, which include taste for Human infants (which he calls "the other other white meat") or anything that looks like a baby, e.g. small people. Fat Bastard has been a regular at Cub games since the early 80's when he tried several times (unsuccessfully) to eat the visiting San Diego Chicken.
<!--quoteo(post=74155:date=Jan 5 2010, 03:06 PM:name=Coldneck)-->QUOTE (Coldneck @ Jan 5 2010, 03:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=74151:date=Jan 5 2010, 04:03 PM:name=jstraw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jstraw @ Jan 5 2010, 04:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I'm never for lowering the bar for the HOF but Andre is clearly over the bar, where it's currently set. In...as a Cub.

Then again, the way I feel about the '84 Cubs, I'd probably support Bobby Dernier.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Dawson wasn't on the 84 Cubs, just saying.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's embarrassing. I have a full set of the '84 Topps Cubs cards in a display sheet hanging on the wall.
Dawson was an all star with the Expos, but he was a superstar with the Cubs. If he gets in, he's wearing a Cub hat. No doubt about it.

When I look at his stats, I don't think he should get in, but when I see what he's accomplished in the context of other inductees before him, he clearly belongs. The stolen base/home run club that he shares with Mays and Bonds and the home run/gold glove club that was mentioned in another post tells me he needs to be there.

In the end, when you look at the careers of Stargell and McCovey and even reggie jackson, his number compare favorably. He deserves to be there.

Plus, I practically worshipped him as a kid, so I may be a little biased.
Wang.
Jay Mariotti is the biggest douchebag sports writer in the history of sports writers. I hope he does get himself kicked out of the BBWAA
I really hope Dawson gets in today. I could use some good news.
He's in. the only one. How did Alomar not make it? How does Tim Raines only get 30 percent of the vote. How does Dale Murphy only get 11?
I wish that I believed in Fate. I wish I didn't sleep so late. I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders.
<!--quoteo(post=74335:date=Jan 6 2010, 02:17 PM:name=BT)-->QUOTE (BT @ Jan 6 2010, 02:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->He's in. the only one. How did Alomar not make it? How does Tim Raines only get 30 percent of the vote. How does Dale Murphy only get 11?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Because the system is fucking broken. I'm thrilled Hawk got in, but the voting process is fucked.
<!--quoteo(post=74335:date=Jan 6 2010, 02:17 PM:name=BT)-->QUOTE (BT @ Jan 6 2010, 02:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->He's in. the only one. How did Alomar not make it? How does Tim Raines only get 30 percent of the vote. How does Dale Murphy only get 11?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I can't figure Alomar, Blyleven, Raines, and even Larkin...I thought it might be a big class.

Murphy was so awesome...but, he didn't maintain. He did, however, have all-world intangibles. Sort of akin to Mattingly.

Blyleven is a mystery. He has nearly first-ballot numbers. People don't give longevity enough credit.

Alomar must have been crushed because of the spitting incident.

And Raines? I just don't get it...he's ALMOST Lou Brock.
Out of all of those guys, Alomar and Dawson are the only ones that would get my vote. Alomar is a shoo-in for me.

Thank God dawson got in though. Best news I've heard in a while. Class act all the way.
Wang.