Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Maddux Back for Another Tour...
<!--quoteo(post=75643:date=Jan 12 2010, 08:22 AM:name=veryzer)-->QUOTE (veryzer @ Jan 12 2010, 08:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->In the grand scheme of things, I believe this has little, if any, impact on whether or not the Cubs win a championship.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Unless he's being groomed for something bigger.
I dont see how having him around would be a bad thing.

This is a no risk, potential big reward move.
Someone mentioned earlier in the thread about him possibly being in training to eventually be a GM. While he definitely has the smarts to be a GM I think he would do his best work by being in the dugout with the team. He just doesn't strike me as the kind of guy that would be happy wearing a suit and sitting above the action.
I picture a pissed-off Amazon bitch; uncontrollable, disobedient, boldly resisting any kind of emotional shackles...angrily begging for more ejaculate. -KB

Showing your teeth is a sign of weakness in primates. Whenever someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for its life. - Dwight

RIP Sarge
<!--quoteo(post=75650:date=Jan 12 2010, 09:44 AM:name=1060Ivy)-->QUOTE (1060Ivy @ Jan 12 2010, 09:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->It's a nice, feel good story that happened days before the convention but I don't know if the move translates to wins in 2010.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Paint me cynical and color me badd, but this move smacks of just enough "feelgoodery" and comes just in time before the Cubs Convention so that questions from fans dealing with disappointing player performances and GM moves can be softened by bringing a popular lamb back into the fold. How often will the Maddux singing be used as the turning point in response to criticisms?
One dick can poke an eye out. A hundred dicks can move mountains.
--Veryzer

<!--quoteo(post=75767:date=Jan 12 2010, 08:13 PM:name=VanSlawAndCottoCheese)-->QUOTE (VanSlawAndCottoCheese @ Jan 12 2010, 08:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=75650:date=Jan 12 2010, 09:44 AM:name=1060Ivy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (1060Ivy @ Jan 12 2010, 09:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->It's a nice, feel good story that happened days before the convention but I don't know if the move translates to wins in 2010.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Paint me cynical and color me badd, but this move smacks of just enough "feelgoodery" and comes just in time before the Cubs Convention so that questions from fans dealing with disappointing player performances and GM moves can be softened by bringing a popular lamb back into the fold. How often will the Maddux singing be used as the turning point in response to criticisms?
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Tell me which song Greg's singing, and I'll give you an answer.
<!--quoteo(post=75767:date=Jan 12 2010, 08:13 PM:name=VanSlawAndCottoCheese)-->QUOTE (VanSlawAndCottoCheese @ Jan 12 2010, 08:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=75650:date=Jan 12 2010, 09:44 AM:name=1060Ivy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (1060Ivy @ Jan 12 2010, 09:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->It's a nice, feel good story that happened days before the convention but I don't know if the move translates to wins in 2010.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thank you.

That's where I am with this.
<!--quoteo(post=75771:date=Jan 12 2010, 09:27 PM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Jan 12 2010, 09:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=75767:date=Jan 12 2010, 08:13 PM:name=VanSlawAndCottoCheese)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (VanSlawAndCottoCheese @ Jan 12 2010, 08:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=75650:date=Jan 12 2010, 09:44 AM:name=1060Ivy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (1060Ivy @ Jan 12 2010, 09:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->It's a nice, feel good story that happened days before the convention but I don't know if the move translates to wins in 2010.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Tell me which song Greg's singing, and I'll give you an answer.
Damn. Must have been that Color Me Badd reference. Did my shit in.

And, for the record, I foresee Greg singing Petula Clark's "Downtown."
--Veryzer

Wow, I thought I was cynical. Guys, just enjoy the small stuff whenever it happens, because that's all we have left as fans. There is nothing bad about bringing Maddux back into the organization. He is a classy individual and a great baseball mind. What's the downside here?
What do the Cubs have to gain from having a feel good story right before the Cubs convention? Will it add people to the waiting list for season tickets? Will it get them over the 3 million attendenance mark? Will it help them dominate the White Sox in television and radio ratings?

Or, could the Maddux hire be because he was considered the most cerebral player of his time, and has exprressed an interest in getting into the front office of the game he mastered? It wasn't just that he has a great library of scouting reports on older players. He recognized strengths and weaknesses, and new how to exploit the latter and deal with the former. If he were to spend ten years in the Cubs broadcast booth, the reaction to his arrival in the front office would be applauded. My appologies to the new wave stat crowd who believe that MIT in your resume would trump the twenty plus years of professional baseball experience that Maddux has accumulated, but you are taking yourselves way too seriously. To even think that every major league organization does not have access to, and use on a daily basis statistics that would blow the minds of any propeller head is either huburis or ignorance but more likely equal parts of both.
"Drink Up and Beat Off!"
-KBWSB

"Will I be looked on poorly if my religion involved punting little people?"
-Jody
<!--quoteo(post=75775:date=Jan 12 2010, 08:43 PM:name=savant)-->QUOTE (savant @ Jan 12 2010, 08:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->What do the Cubs have to gain from having a feel good story right before the Cubs convention? Will it add people to the waiting list for season tickets? Will it get them over the 3 million attendenance mark? Will it help them dominate the White Sox in television and radio ratings?

Or, could the Maddux hire be because he was considered the most cerebral player of his time, and has exprressed an interest in getting into the front office of the game he mastered? It wasn't just that he has a great library of scouting reports on older players. He recognized strengths and weaknesses, and new how to exploit the latter and deal with the former. If he were to spend ten years in the Cubs broadcast booth, the reaction to his arrival in the front office would be applauded. My appologies to the new wave stat crowd who believe that MIT in your resume would trump the twenty plus years of professional baseball experience that Maddux has accumulated, but you are taking yourselves way too seriously. To even think that every major league organization does not have access to, and use on a daily basis statistics that would blow the minds of any propeller head is either huburis or ignorance but more likely equal parts of both.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Sav8nt gets it long time. Very well said.
I'm by no means saying that I don't Maddux nor his acumen as part of the Cubs organization. It's great, really. I'm really not sure what the tangent of stats geeks (for the record, I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Word Nerd, not really a math guy) vs. people with "baseball know-how" has to do with anything. I just can't help but wonder how much of this is done with the main intent to deflect criticism.

Maddux is back, swell. I'd love for him to be in the organization for a long time. I just know a P.R. move when I smell it.
--Veryzer

Vans, the stat thing was aimed at 1060's post. Just a pet peeve of mine, the internet stat superiority complex syndrome is easily the most annoying effect of the information age.
"Drink Up and Beat Off!"
-KBWSB

"Will I be looked on poorly if my religion involved punting little people?"
-Jody
<!--quoteo(post=75780:date=Jan 12 2010, 09:02 PM:name=VanSlawAndCottoCheese)-->QUOTE (VanSlawAndCottoCheese @ Jan 12 2010, 09:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I'm by no means saying that I don't Maddux nor his acumen as part of the Cubs organization. It's great, really. I'm really not sure what the tangent of stats geeks (for the record, I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Word Nerd, not really a math guy) vs. people with "baseball know-how" has to do with anything. I just can't help but wonder how much of this is done with the main intent to deflect criticism.

Maddux is back, swell. I'd love for him to be in the organization for a long time. I just know a P.R. move when I smell it.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Yeah, because Maddux is exactly the type of guy who would allow himself to be pimped in this manner for PR reasons.

Seriously, I think you guys are looking for conspiracies where there are none.
<!--quoteo(post=75786:date=Jan 12 2010, 10:28 PM:name=savant)-->QUOTE (savant @ Jan 12 2010, 10:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Vans, the stat thing was aimed at 1060's post. Just a pet peeve of mine, the internet stat superiority complex syndrome is easily the most annoying effect of the information age.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Gotcha. I dig.
--Veryzer

<!--quoteo(post=75787:date=Jan 12 2010, 09:29 PM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Jan 12 2010, 09:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=75780:date=Jan 12 2010, 09:02 PM:name=VanSlawAndCottoCheese)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (VanSlawAndCottoCheese @ Jan 12 2010, 09:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I'm by no means saying that I don't Maddux nor his acumen as part of the Cubs organization. It's great, really. I'm really not sure what the tangent of stats geeks (for the record, I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Word Nerd, not really a math guy) vs. people with "baseball know-how" has to do with anything. I just can't help but wonder how much of this is done with the main intent to deflect criticism.

Maddux is back, swell. I'd love for him to be in the organization for a long time. I just know a P.R. move when I smell it.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Yeah, because Maddux is exactly the type of guy who would allow himself to be pimped in this manner for PR reasons.

Seriously, I think you guys are looking for conspiracies where there are none.

It was my gut reaction. I'm a cynic too. Sue me.