Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spring Training 2010
Fuck Dick Harden. I'm glad he is gone.
Harden is a frustrating talent but for a period of time in 2009, Harden was the Cubs best starter.

From mid July to August 2009, Harden averaged 6 1/3 innings per start, ERA of 2.45, 69 K to 22 BB in 55 innings of work. He didn't skip or miss a start in these 9 games. Unfortunately, the Cubs didn't hit worth shit during this stretch and went 4 - 5. BTW, if you drop off the final game against the Astros where he gave up 5 ER in 5 innings, his ERA during the period drops to 1.80.

I'm fine with the Cubs decision not to sign him due to his inability to stay healthy but the Cubs were a much better team with a healthy Rich Harden.
<!--quoteo(post=85617:date=Apr 2 2010, 01:32 PM:name=1060Ivy)-->QUOTE (1060Ivy @ Apr 2 2010, 01:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Harden is a frustrating talent but for a period of time in 2009, Harden was the Cubs best starter.

From mid July to August 2009, Harden averaged 6 1/3 innings per start, ERA of 2.45, 69 K to 22 BB in 55 innings of work. He didn't skip or miss a start in these 9 games. Unfortunately, the Cubs didn't hit worth shit during this stretch and went 4 - 5. BTW, if you drop off the final game against the Astros where he gave up 5 ER in 5 innings, his ERA during the period drops to 1.80.

I'm fine with the Cubs decision not to sign him due to his inability to stay healthy but the Cubs were a much better team with a healthy Rich Harden.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
All else being equal, as a 5th starter, sure, but you don't pay a 5th starter who can't stay healthy and can't consistently go 6 innings a start close to $10 mil.

Harden wasn't right from September of 2008 on. He showed flashes of being the guy we first acquired, but not much else. I'm still glad he's gone. What a frustrating pitcher to watch.
<!--quoteo(post=85623:date=Apr 2 2010, 11:59 AM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Apr 2 2010, 11:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=85617:date=Apr 2 2010, 01:32 PM:name=1060Ivy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (1060Ivy @ Apr 2 2010, 01:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Harden is a frustrating talent but for a period of time in 2009, Harden was the Cubs best starter.

I'm fine with the Cubs decision not to sign him due to his inability to stay healthy but the Cubs were a much better team with a healthy Rich Harden.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
All else being equal, as a 5th starter, sure, but you don't pay a 5th starter who can't stay healthy and can't consistently go 6 innings a start close to $10 mil.

Harden wasn't right from September of 2008 on. He showed flashes of being the guy we first acquired, but not much else. I'm still glad he's gone. What a frustrating pitcher to watch.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
That being said, would you rather have Gallagher right now?
I hate my pretentious sounding username too.
I don't see the 2010 rotation being any different than the 2009 rotation, on the whole. I expect Zambrano to be better than last year, Lilly and Dempster to be about the same, Wells to be a little worse, and the 5th spot to be as productive as the 5th spot was last year.
<!--quoteo(post=85624:date=Apr 2 2010, 02:01 PM:name=Destined)-->QUOTE (Destined @ Apr 2 2010, 02:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=85623:date=Apr 2 2010, 11:59 AM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Apr 2 2010, 11:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=85617:date=Apr 2 2010, 01:32 PM:name=1060Ivy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (1060Ivy @ Apr 2 2010, 01:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Harden is a frustrating talent but for a period of time in 2009, Harden was the Cubs best starter.

Hell no. I'm glad we made that trade, and would do it again 10x over.
<!--quoteo(post=85627:date=Apr 2 2010, 12:05 PM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Apr 2 2010, 12:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=85624:date=Apr 2 2010, 02:01 PM:name=Destined)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Destined @ Apr 2 2010, 02:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=85623:date=Apr 2 2010, 11:59 AM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Apr 2 2010, 11:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=85617:date=Apr 2 2010, 01:32 PM:name=1060Ivy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (1060Ivy @ Apr 2 2010, 01:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Harden is a frustrating talent but for a period of time in 2009, Harden was the Cubs best starter.

Hell no. I'm glad we made that trade, and would do it again 10x over.
Agreed. It was worth the risk, especially considering the garbage we gave up.
I hate my pretentious sounding username too.
Wells will have a higher ERA this season but will get more wins if the offense is more productive. I could give a shit how many wins a pitcher gets but the offense blew a ton of quality starts. We lost games we should have been able to win...it's not just that Wells didn't get a win.
Just looked it up, and Gallagher is still only 24 yet out of options with SD. I'm not saying he will ever amount to anything, but I'm not going to call his career over just yet. Some team might take a chance on him and straighten him out. I have a feeling he could have been decent had he stayed in our organization, and was showing some promise when we traded him. Doesn't change the fact that it was a great trade at the time, and I was happy to get Gaudin too.
<!--quoteo(post=85632:date=Apr 2 2010, 02:19 PM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Apr 2 2010, 02:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Just looked it up, and Gallagher is still only 24 yet out of options with SD. I'm not saying he will ever amount to anything, but I'm not going to call his career over just yet. Some team might take a chance on him and straighten him out. I have a feeling he could have been decent had he stayed in our organization, and was showing some promise when we traded him. Doesn't change the fact that it was a great trade at the time, and I was happy to get Gaudin too.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Good post, all the way around.

Why did we ditch Gaudin, btw? Sure would like to have him now.
Also, I was probably the biggest Dick Harden fan on the site, but even I wouldn't have signed him for huge money. He's just too damn brittle.
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
<!--quoteo(post=85643:date=Apr 2 2010, 02:59 PM:name=KBwsb)-->QUOTE (KBwsb @ Apr 2 2010, 02:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=85632:date=Apr 2 2010, 02:19 PM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Apr 2 2010, 02:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Just looked it up, and Gallagher is still only 24 yet out of options with SD. I'm not saying he will ever amount to anything, but I'm not going to call his career over just yet. Some team might take a chance on him and straighten him out. I have a feeling he could have been decent had he stayed in our organization, and was showing some promise when we traded him. Doesn't change the fact that it was a great trade at the time, and I was happy to get Gaudin too.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Good post, all the way around.

Why did we ditch Gaudin, btw? Sure would like to have him now.
Also, I was probably the biggest Dick Harden fan on the site, but even I wouldn't have signed him for huge money. He's just too damn brittle.
He seemed to have lost his way sometime around August of the 2008 season. There was talk that Gaudin injured himself late one night while out on the town, something about falling into a dumpster (no joke) and hurting his back. There was even speculation that he had a poor attitude, and we all know how Lou despises guys like that. It was clear that the team soured on him, and his role in the pen diminished considerably from that point on. He was never the same after that, and his career has been going in the wrong direction ever since we released him in the Spring of 2009. Too bad it didn't work out, because he was solid with us until that "injury" and was pretty decent with the A's too.
Mark Grace is not a good color analyst.
<!--quoteo(post=85661:date=Apr 2 2010, 10:08 PM:name=jstraw)-->QUOTE (jstraw @ Apr 2 2010, 10:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Mark Grace is not a good color analyst.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
racist
[Image: lou.jpg]
<!--quoteo(post=83035:date=Mar 17 2010, 07:44 AM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Mar 17 2010, 07:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/dpp/news/polit...ended-3-16-2010

Update on the Bill to keep Cubs in Mesa. It is being amended as follows, which ironically now includes relief for Pima County, after the Chicago White Sox, Arizona Diamondbacks and Colorado Rockies each left their Tucson locations for new facilities. Further proof that Reinsdorf is full of shit and is the devil incarnate.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->More information on House Bill 2736, with the amendment:
• The ticket surcharge is a user fee, paid by those who choose to attend Cactus League games, and the amended bill would eliminate the concerns of the rental car industry.
• The ticket surcharge helps keep the Cactus League viable and ensures that spring training baseball, including Cubs baseball, can be enjoyed in Arizona for years to come.
• The amendment would help Pima County retire the debt from spring training facilities left empty when teams leave Tucson for Maricopa County.
• With the average spring training ticket costing approximately $20, the surcharge fans would pay is less than half the cost of a spring training hot dog.
• The amended bill would generate approximately the same amount over 30 years as the funds generated for the Cactus League by Prop. 302 (passed by Maricopa County voters in 2000) over the same number of years.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I didn't know where else to put this.

If there is a need for anymore proof Reinsdorf is a grade A hypocritcal cocksucking fuck that should get his balls ground up into meat paste and fed to rats with AIDS which would then be shoved up Reinsdorf's ass where they would nest and give birth to more AIDS rats until they all ate their way up thru his fucking pig face.

Die Jerry Die

Some men are born mediocre, some men achieve mediocrity, and some men have mediocrity thrust upon them.
<!--quoteo(post=88482:date=Apr 13 2010, 12:14 AM:name=Bricklayer)-->QUOTE (Bricklayer @ Apr 13 2010, 12:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=83035:date=Mar 17 2010, 07:44 AM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Mar 17 2010, 07:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/dpp/news/polit...ended-3-16-2010

Update on the Bill to keep Cubs in Mesa. It is being amended as follows, which ironically now includes relief for Pima County, after the Chicago White Sox, Arizona Diamondbacks and Colorado Rockies each left their Tucson locations for new facilities. Further proof that Reinsdorf is full of shit and is the devil incarnate.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->More information on House Bill 2736, with the amendment:
• The ticket surcharge is a user fee, paid by those who choose to attend Cactus League games, and the amended bill would eliminate the concerns of the rental car industry.
• The ticket surcharge helps keep the Cactus League viable and ensures that spring training baseball, including Cubs baseball, can be enjoyed in Arizona for years to come.
• The amendment would help Pima County retire the debt from spring training facilities left empty when teams leave Tucson for Maricopa County.
• With the average spring training ticket costing approximately $20, the surcharge fans would pay is less than half the cost of a spring training hot dog.
• The amended bill would generate approximately the same amount over 30 years as the funds generated for the Cactus League by Prop. 302 (passed by Maricopa County voters in 2000) over the same number of years.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I didn't know where else to put this.

If there is a need for anymore proof Reinsdorf is a grade A hypocritcal cocksucking fuck that should get his balls ground up into meat paste and fed to rats with AIDS which would then be shoved up Reinsdorf's ass where they would nest and give birth to more AIDS rats until they all ate their way up thru his fucking pig face.

Die Jerry Die

You're giving the devil a bad name. What did he/she ever do to you?