Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Black Dynamite
I'm probably in the minority (no pun in intended) for liking this trailer and expecting anything out of this homage to blaxploitation flicks, but I actually think this has promise. I guess this movie has been delayed since 2008, so maybe it will suck, but who knows. This was included on a recent DVD release from this week, and I couldn't stop giggling. So sue me.

<object width="853" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6-wqmnJrOFM&hl=en_US&fs=1&hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6-wqmnJrOFM&hl=en_US&fs=1&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="853" height="505"></embed></object>
The trailer is excellent but since I first saw it my concern is, have I seen the movie if I've seen the trailer?

I'm almost more curious about the soundtrack.

What I like best about the trailer is that it appears there are no 'gags' in this movie. It looks like they tried to really recreate the genre, not spoof it. The only intentional laugh line it the suits/car thing in the voiceover. Which is actually only a joke in context. This is encouraging.
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->What I like best about the trailer is that it appears there are no 'gags' in this movie<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I haven't seen it, but I think the movie involves Black Dynamite having a nunchuck fight with Richard Nixon. So there MAY be some gags.
I wish that I believed in Fate. I wish I didn't sleep so late. I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders.
I think this will be funny, however...I have some old Dolemite movies on DVD (Human Tornado and Disco Godfather) that are funny as hell without trying so hard to be funny (or trying at all). I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around the concept of doing a parody of Blaxploitation films. It's like making a parody of a comedy.
<!--quoteo(post=76070:date=Jan 14 2010, 03:01 PM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Jan 14 2010, 03:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I think this will be funny, however...I have some old Dolemite movies on DVD (Human Tornado and Disco Godfather) that are funny as hell without trying so hard to be funny (or trying at all). I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around the concept of doing a parody of Blaxploitation films. It's like making a parody of a comedy.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
There have already been a handful of these over the years: I'm Gonna Git You Sucka, Pootie Tang, Undercover Brother, etc. Those were hit or miss (mostly miss, though I loved Sucka), but if it is true that Dynamite combines action, laughs and some old school T&A and recreates the look and feel of the 70s in a non-corny way, then I'm sold. It has that potential, just as Grindhouse worked for that genre.
That looks like it could be pretty good.
I picture a pissed-off Amazon bitch; uncontrollable, disobedient, boldly resisting any kind of emotional shackles...angrily begging for more ejaculate. -KB

Showing your teeth is a sign of weakness in primates. Whenever someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for its life. - Dwight

RIP Sarge
I've only heard good things about it.
Ok, watched it last night. I don't want to oversell it, but it was extremely entertaining. Well made all around and very true to the 70s culture and films in which it is trying to pay homage. Not sure why this never made it to theaters, but probably the hard R rating and difficulty marketing it was one of the main reasons.

It started off kind of slow, much of the humor was corny at first, but then it really picked up and had a ton of hilarious moments. The final fight scene at the White House was excellent. Ridiculous as it may be, it is one of the higher quality spoofs that I've ever watched over the years. All the details, from the language, clothing, music, settings, conspiracies and plot holes, camera style, and off the wall action sequences were done just right. There are even a few animations sprinkled throughout the movie that tied things together nicely. Many might disagree, but this could have been the 3rd part of Tarantino/Rodquguez' Grindhouse, and actually would have fit in just fine as another example of a 70s genre flick.

It isn't perfect, but worth at least one viewing IMO.

3.5/5 stars
Thanks for the review. I'm sold.

I'm 10 minutes into this, and I am hopelessly in love with it.
I wish that I believed in Fate. I wish I didn't sleep so late. I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders.
i got in from netflix and have watched it 4 times. i think it is amazing. i now model my life after the movie.
finally saw it. some funny-ass shit.
Life is a bitch, but she's totally doable.