Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Couldn't find another thread about this. Just saw this the other day in 3D. Looked good, but i'm hearing that it may be the front runner for best picture. If this happens I will be deeply saddened. No WAY is it anymore than entertaining.
I'm boycotting.
I hate my pretentious sounding username too.
If the Academy gives it to Avatar their credibility is done with me.
Seven posts down. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img]

http://www.thecubsbrickyard.com/sonsofivy/...30&start=30
Cubs News and Rumors at Bleacher Nation.
<!--quoteo(post=78148:date=Jan 31 2010, 04:31 PM:name=funkster)-->QUOTE (funkster @ Jan 31 2010, 04:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->If the Academy gives it to Avatar their credibility is done with me.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
That happened when Shakespeare in Love beat Saving Private Ryan, and Life is Beautiful.
I hate my pretentious sounding username too.
Lol whoops...i guess this can be merged.
<!--quoteo(post=78153:date=Jan 31 2010, 07:39 PM:name=funkster)-->QUOTE (funkster @ Jan 31 2010, 07:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Lol whoops...i guess this can be merged.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Eh, fuck it. It ain't no big thing. I was just being a douche.
The academy has screwed up countless times. One more time won't change my opinion of the Oscars.
<!--quoteo(post=78156:date=Jan 31 2010, 07:35 PM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Jan 31 2010, 07:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->The academy has screwed up countless times. One more time won't change my opinion of the Oscars.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Yeah...but this would be a REALLY bad screw up.
Some historical Oscar travesties (I'm only including movies I've seen):

1976: Rocky over Taxi Driver

1979: Kramer vs. Kramer over Apocalypse Now

1980: Ordinary People over Raging Bull

1989: Driving Miss Daisy over every other movie made in 1989

1990: Dances with Wolves over Goodfellas

1994: Forrest Gump over Pulp Fiction

1996: The English Patient over Fargo

1997: Titanic over L.A. Confidential

1998: Shakespeare in Love over Saving Private Ryan and The Thin Red Line

2002: Chicago (what a steaming pile of shit) over every other nominee -- Gangs of New York, The Hours, The Two Towers, and The Pianist

2005: I think Crash was incredibly overrated, but I know I'm in the minority on this one...so I won't say which films should have beat it

Obviously, this is somewhat subjective (and I'm sure some of you will disagree with me), but it's pretty easy to see which movies on this list have stood the test of time and which ones haven't.

Anyway, I'll have to think about it a little, but I'm pretty sure Hurt Locker was the best movie I've seen this year. However, I haven't seen Avatar so it wouldn't be fair for me to complain if it wins. I have my suspicions about it, though (all spectacle and no substance).
Ron Artest is a lock for best actor after tonight.
What does it mean to be the "best" picture?
<!--quoteo(post=78169:date=Feb 1 2010, 06:54 AM:name=Ace)-->QUOTE (Ace @ Feb 1 2010, 06:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->What does it mean to be the "best" picture?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Better than every other movie that year?
Butch, you need to see Avatar and give it a chance. The stroy is nothing new but it was a thouroughly enjoyable movie to see. I don't consider myself a sophisticated movie critic, but I thought it was a great movie and would say I liked it better than The Hurt Locker (I saw both of them in the last two weeks). I can't think of another movie I enjoyed more than Avatar in the last year, but I haven't seen a lot of movies recently (maybe Inglorious Basterds).

The HL and Avatar are two very different films. I really enjoyed them both but it's hard to compare the two. I also know that Oscar isn't a mainstream award (the Oscar doesn't usually go to the movie that earned the most of was most popular). There are some Oscar winning movies that I think were terribly boring like the English Patient.
I'll probably cave eventually and see it. I just happen to think James Cameron is a giant douche and would rather not give him my $10. Also -- everyone tells me I *have* to see it on the big screen and in 3D, which means to get the "full experience," I have to fork over more money (rather than waiting to see it on Netflix).