Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2010 Oscar Nominations
This topic came up in the Hurt Locker discussion, but it deserves its own thread.

What a strange list. I'm not sure that I understand the new 10 nominee rule, but other than being a blatant trick simply to get more people interested in the awards, I don't get it. How many of these movies actually deserve to be nominated at all?

I loved Hurt Locker, District 9 and Basterds, but haven't seen the rest, nor do I really care to see most of these. I've heard good things about An Education, Up In the Air and A Serious Man, and I hope to check those out eventually, but still, this is silly.

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->BEST PICTURE:
The Blind Side
District 9
An Education
The Hurt Locker
Inglourious Basterds
Precious: Based on the Novel “Push” by Sapphire
A Serious Man
Up
Up in the Air

DIRECTING:
Kathryn Bigelow - The Hurt Locker
James Cameron - Avatar
Lee Daniels - Precious: Based on the Novel “Push” by Sapphire
Jason Reitman - Up in the Air
Quentin Tarantino - Inglourious Basterds

ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE:
Jeff Bridges - Crazy Heart
George Clooney - Up in the Air
Colin Firth - A Single Man
Morgan Freeman - Invictus
Jeremy Renner - The Hurt Locker

ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE:
Sandra Bullock - The Blind Side
Helen Mirren - The Last Station
Carey Mulligan - An Education
Gabourey Sidibe - Precious: Based on the Novel “Push” by Sapphire
Meryl Streep - Julie & Julia

ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE:
Matt Damon - Invictus
Woody Harrelson - The Messenger
Christopher Plummer - The Last Station
Stanley Tucci - The Lovely Bones
Christoph Waltz - Inglourious Basterds

ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE:
Penelope Cruz - Nine
Vera Farmiga - Up in the Air
Maggie Gyllenhaal - Crazy Heart
Anna Kendrick - Up in the Air
Mo’Nique - Precious: Based on the Novel “Push” by Sapphire

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY:
Neill Blomkamp and - District 9
Nick Hornby - An Education
Jesse Armstrong, Simon Blackwell, Armando Iannucci and Tony Roche - In the Loop
Geoffrey Fletcher - Precious: Based on the Novel “Push” by Sapphire
Jason Reitman and Sheldon Turner - Up in the Air

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY:
Mark Boal - The Hurt Locker
Quentin Tarantino - Inglourious Basterds
Oren Moverman and - The Messenger
Joel and Ethan Coen - A Serious Man
Pete Docter and Bob Peterson - Up

FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM:
Ajami - Israel
El Secreto de sus Ojos - Argentina
The Milk of Sorrow
Une Prophéte - France
The White Ribbon - Germany

ANIMATED FEATURE FILM:
Coraline
Fantastic Mr. Fox
The Princess and the Frog
The Secret of the Kells
Up

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY:
Maurio Fiore - Avatar
Bruno Delbonnel - Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Barry Ackroyd - The Hurt Locker
Robert Richardson - Inglourious Basterds
Christian Berger - The White Ribbon

FILM EDITING:
Stephen Rivkin, John Refoua and James Cameron - Avatar
Julian Clarke - District 9
Bob Murawski and Chris Innis - The Hurt Locker
Sally Menke - Inglourious Basterds
Joe Klotz - Precious: Based on the Novel ‘Push’ by Sapphire<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
It doesn't have a chance in hell of winning but I'm glad to see District 9 being nominated for Best Picture. It's my favorite movie of anything I've seen in the past year.

The 10 movies being nominated sure is stupid though. I mean, Up? Really? It was ok for a Pixar movie but Best Picture? Come on.

And don't even get me started on my hatred for Sandra Bullock.
<!--quoteo(post=78355:date=Feb 2 2010, 01:54 PM:name=Brock)-->QUOTE (Brock @ Feb 2 2010, 01:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->It doesn't have a chance in hell of winning but I'm glad to see District 9 being nominated for Best Picture. It's my favorite movie of anything I've seen in the past year.

The 10 movies being nominated sure is stupid though. I mean, Up? Really? It was ok for a Pixar movie but Best Picture? Come on.

And don't even get me started on my hatred for Sandra Bullock.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Sandra Bullock is a total hack. She is awful.

Pixar movies *always* get nominated. This isn't anything new -- and they're pretty much always fantastic.
The Blind Side movie looks like such a blatant attempt at an Oscar nomination, it's laughable. It has all the elements of a corny, unoriginal tearjerker, it should have been a Lifetime movie of the week or something. I used to think Bullock was harmless early in her career, but now it's obvious that she must be eliminated.
<!--quoteo(post=78357:date=Feb 2 2010, 02:41 PM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Feb 2 2010, 02:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->The Blind Side movie looks like such a blatant attempt at an Oscar nomination, it's laughable. It has all the elements of a corny, unoriginal tearjerker, it should have been a Lifetime movie of the week or something. I used to think Bullock was harmless early in her career, <i>but now it's obvious that she must be eliminated.</i><!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]

'.
<!--quoteo(post=78358:date=Feb 2 2010, 02:46 PM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Feb 2 2010, 02:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=78357:date=Feb 2 2010, 02:41 PM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Feb 2 2010, 02:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->The Blind Side movie looks like such a blatant attempt at an Oscar nomination, it's laughable. It has all the elements of a corny, unoriginal tearjerker, it should have been a Lifetime movie of the week or something. I used to think Bullock was harmless early in her career, <i>but now it's obvious that she must be eliminated.</i><!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So sayeth your inside movie reviewer...

ROK...THE UNMERCIFUL.
<!--quoteo(post=78356:date=Feb 2 2010, 02:26 PM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Feb 2 2010, 02:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=78355:date=Feb 2 2010, 01:54 PM:name=Brock)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Brock @ Feb 2 2010, 01:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->It doesn't have a chance in hell of winning but I'm glad to see District 9 being nominated for Best Picture. It's my favorite movie of anything I've seen in the past year.

And don't even get me started on my hatred for Sandra Bullock.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Pixar movies *always* get nominated. This isn't anything new -- and they're pretty much always fantastic.

Not for Best Picture, I don't think.
<!--quoteo(post=78361:date=Feb 2 2010, 03:30 PM:name=Brock)-->QUOTE (Brock @ Feb 2 2010, 03:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=78356:date=Feb 2 2010, 02:26 PM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Feb 2 2010, 02:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=78355:date=Feb 2 2010, 01:54 PM:name=Brock)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Brock @ Feb 2 2010, 01:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->It doesn't have a chance in hell of winning but I'm glad to see District 9 being nominated for Best Picture. It's my favorite movie of anything I've seen in the past year.

Not for Best Picture, I don't think.
You're right. Brain fart.
I will be ridiculed for this...but....I think Up might be one of the greatest movies of all time.
I love how the talk was that Nine would win everything at the Oscars, but it's hardly nominated for anything at all. They talked the shit out of that film, and it almost seems it was a big flop. I love Daniel Day Lewis, but Nine appears to be his first "meh" movie in quite some time.
<!--quoteo(post=78365:date=Feb 2 2010, 03:58 PM:name=vegascub)-->QUOTE (vegascub @ Feb 2 2010, 03:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I love how the talk was that Nine would win everything at the Oscars, but it's hardly nominated for anything at all. They talked the shit out of that film, and it almost seems it was a big flop. I love Daniel Day Lewis, but Nine appears to be his first "meh" movie in quite some time.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Yeah, I assumed Nine would be given the "Chicago" treatment. A lazy, safe choice with a star-studded cast in a year where no film really stood out.

And I thought Up was great, but I'm not sure if it is a classic.
<!--quoteo(post=78364:date=Feb 2 2010, 03:50 PM:name=dk123)-->QUOTE (dk123 @ Feb 2 2010, 03:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I will be ridiculed for this...but....I think Up might be one of the greatest movies of all time.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I loved it a lot. Still, I think that if the Oscars weren't complete bullshit...and I cared who won or was nominated...I'd want "Where The Wild Things Are" to win everything. I realize that voice actors can't win contested acting prizes but James Gandolfini deserved Best Actor for that film.

These rules already got weird with Gollum and in a post Avatar and Tim Burton's Alice In Wonderland world, they'll have to be rethought. The line is gonna get really blurry.
I thought Up was possibly the strangest Pixar movie to date. Just a bizarre story. But I did enjoy it.
<!--quoteo(post=78364:date=Feb 2 2010, 03:50 PM:name=dk123)-->QUOTE (dk123 @ Feb 2 2010, 03:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I will be ridiculed for this...but....I think Up might be one of the greatest movies of all time.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Pixar's impact on animation cannot be overstated...they've changed everything; including to our expectations.