Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
13 Tzameti
I just watched this movie. Netflix suggested it based on my preferences so I decided to blindly check it out. If popped it in to find that it's French and subtitled. No big deal. But the opening few scenes done in French and black and white, set up a plot twist that was completely left field. I mean...for knowing nothing of this movie, it is easily a top 10 that I've seen in the last couple years. See it now. Don't reveal too much to yourself beforehand, though.

Here's a brief summary of the beginning of the movie if you really need to have one:

WARNING:

A poor 22 year old works as a repair man on the roof of a affluent morphine addict. The addict is broke, but keeps this from the kid. The kid overhears the addict and his wife arguing over finances and about a letter that is to arrive soon in the mail. The kid becomes curious when the addict reveals that its contents will provide a lot of money. Then the addict ODs and dies. The kid steals the letter and uses it's contents (a train ticket and a hotel room registration) to make whatever money is available, despite not knowing anything else about what he has to do. He calls a number in the envelope from which he gets instructions on what he has to do. His instructions are to take the train and get off on the stop before the one listed on his ticket and find a locker that's contents will provide further information on his task. Then, it gets crazy.

Honestly, I think this movie deserves somewhere between 3.5 and 4 stars.
If Angelo had picked McClellin, I would have been expecting to hear by training camp that kid has stage 4 cancer, is actually 5'2" 142 lbs, is a chick who played in a 7 - 0 defensive scheme who only rotated in on downs which were 3 and 34 yds + so is not expecting to play a down in the NFL until the sex change is complete and she puts on another 100 lbs. + but this is Emery's first pick so he'll get a pass with a bit of questioning. - 1060Ivy
<!--quoteo(post=79551:date=Feb 14 2010, 02:05 PM:name=bz)-->QUOTE (bz @ Feb 14 2010, 02:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I just watched this movie. Netflix suggested it based on my preferences so I decided to blindly check it out. If popped it in to find that it's French and subtitled. No big deal. But the opening few scenes done in French and black and white, set up a plot twist that was completely left field. I mean...for knowing nothing of this movie, it is easily a top 10 that I've seen in the last couple years. See it now. Don't reveal too much to yourself beforehand, though.

Here's a brief summary of the beginning of the movie if you really need to have one:

WARNING:

A poor 22 year old works as a repair man on the roof of a affluent morphine addict. The addict is broke, but keeps this from the kid. The kid overhears the addict and his wife arguing over finances and about a letter that is to arrive soon in the mail. The kid becomes curious when the addict reveals that its contents will provide a lot of money. Then the addict ODs and dies. The kid steals the letter and uses it's contents (a train ticket and a hotel room registration) to make whatever money is available, despite not knowing anything else about what he has to do. He calls a number in the envelope from which he gets instructions on what he has to do. His instructions are to take the train and get off on the stop before the one listed on his ticket and find a locker that's contents will provide further information on his task. Then, it gets crazy.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree, I thought it was great.
"I'm not sure I know what ball cheese or crotch rot is, exactly -- or if there is a difference between the two. Don't post photos, please..."

- Butcher
I've had a copy of this sitting at home for several months now. Not sure why I've waited this long to watch it, but I think I will need to do so this week. Thanks for reminding me.

BTW, this is being remade for American audiences starring Jason Statham, Mickey Rourke..............and 50 Cent. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/unsure.gif[/img]
Adding it to my queue now...
<!--quoteo(post=79557:date=Feb 14 2010, 07:34 PM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Feb 14 2010, 07:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I've had a copy of this sitting at home for several months now. Not sure why I've waited this long to watch it, but I think I will need to do so this week. Thanks for reminding me.

BTW, this is being remade for American audiences starring Jason Statham, Mickey Rourke..............and 50 Cent. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/unsure.gif[/img]<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well that is going to be fucking awful. I wish it could just be left as it is.
If Angelo had picked McClellin, I would have been expecting to hear by training camp that kid has stage 4 cancer, is actually 5'2" 142 lbs, is a chick who played in a 7 - 0 defensive scheme who only rotated in on downs which were 3 and 34 yds + so is not expecting to play a down in the NFL until the sex change is complete and she puts on another 100 lbs. + but this is Emery's first pick so he'll get a pass with a bit of questioning. - 1060Ivy
I finally sat down to watch it the other night. I'm a little torn on it. It was well made and one of the more tension filled movies I've seen in a while. The story kept me interested, and even the slow parts were necessary to develop the plot. The only problem I have with it is that I'm not sure if it is trying to be a modern French New Wave film or sort of a Hostel-like squirmer. The human element of the film is kind of buried somewhere. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it overall, but it seemed like something was missing.

3.5/5 stars
Normally, PCB and BZ are know-nothing douchebags (at least when it comes to cartoons about secret agents). But in this case, they were actually right. I really liked this movie. I can't stress enough how important it is to go into it knowing as little as possible, but if you do, it's totally worth it. I agree with a lot of what Rok said as well, but I think I'd go 4 stars out of 5.
I wish that I believed in Fate. I wish I didn't sleep so late. I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders.
Watched this last night. I liked it a lot. When it was revealed what the "game" was, I was completely caught off guard. And yes -- the tension was orchestrated perfectly.

I would have liked a little more character development. I feel like I knew very little about the main character and I think if I was more emotionally invested in him, it would have been even better. Still -- a very good movie. Thanks for the recommendation, bz.
WARNING: Trailer contains spoilers...

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Y41fFj-P4jI" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>
<!--quoteo(post=127362:date=Jan 19 2011, 09:39 PM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Jan 19 2011, 09:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Y41fFj-P4jI" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe><!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Looks good, but I would NOT watch the trailer if you have not yet seen the original. It gives far too much away.
I wish that I believed in Fate. I wish I didn't sleep so late. I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders.
Yeah, that gives away pretty much the entire story, and I can't imagine it being as effective unless you go in cold. Also, the trailer almost makes it seem like something more character driven that it actually is, so I guess that could be misleading in a good way for those unfamiliar with the original, unless the story was revised for domestic audiences.