Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scott Pilgrim vs the World
This could be awesome, considering it's pedigree.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/57saocQSQDo&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/57saocQSQDo&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
I wish that I believed in Fate. I wish I didn't sleep so late. I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders.
I watched the trailer a few months back. I'm kind of torn. I like the concept and the actors/director involved, but the trailer was a bit over the top and bizarre for me, and usual for me, the more bizarre the better. I'm still interested to see it though.
<!--quoteo(post=92042:date=Apr 22 2010, 09:53 AM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Apr 22 2010, 09:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I watched the trailer a few months back. I'm kind of torn. I like the concept and the actors/director involved, but the trailer was a bit over the top and bizarre for me, and usual for me, the more bizarre the better. I'm still interested to see it though.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think it's based on a comic or graphic novel, hence the over the topness.
I wish that I believed in Fate. I wish I didn't sleep so late. I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders.
<!--quoteo(post=92067:date=Apr 22 2010, 11:58 AM:name=BT)-->QUOTE (BT @ Apr 22 2010, 11:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=92042:date=Apr 22 2010, 09:53 AM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Apr 22 2010, 09:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I watched the trailer a few months back. I'm kind of torn. I like the concept and the actors/director involved, but the trailer was a bit over the top and bizarre for me, and usual for me, the more bizarre the better. I'm still interested to see it though.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Yep, and I was aware of that. I guess I've grown tired of the way in which action sequences are overdone and cartoonish these days. I hate that trend so much. I blame the Matrix and 300.
<!--quoteo(post=92102:date=Apr 22 2010, 12:54 PM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Apr 22 2010, 12:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=92067:date=Apr 22 2010, 11:58 AM:name=BT)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BT @ Apr 22 2010, 11:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=92042:date=Apr 22 2010, 09:53 AM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Apr 22 2010, 09:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I watched the trailer a few months back. I'm kind of torn. I like the concept and the actors/director involved, but the trailer was a bit over the top and bizarre for me, and usual for me, the more bizarre the better. I'm still interested to see it though.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yep, and I was aware of that. I guess I've grown tired of the way in which action sequences are overdone and cartoonish these days. I hate that trend so much. I blame the Matrix and 300.

It's a shame that The Matrix is seen this way. When the movie first came out it was so original. The sequels and the fact that half of every modern day comedies parodies it has watered it down so much though. The original movie really doesn't get as much credit as it deserves.
<!--quoteo(post=92337:date=Apr 23 2010, 11:13 AM:name=Scarey)-->QUOTE (Scarey @ Apr 23 2010, 11:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=92102:date=Apr 22 2010, 12:54 PM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Apr 22 2010, 12:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=92067:date=Apr 22 2010, 11:58 AM:name=BT)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BT @ Apr 22 2010, 11:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=92042:date=Apr 22 2010, 09:53 AM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Apr 22 2010, 09:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I watched the trailer a few months back. I'm kind of torn. I like the concept and the actors/director involved, but the trailer was a bit over the top and bizarre for me, and usual for me, the more bizarre the better. I'm still interested to see it though.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's a shame that The Matrix is seen this way. When the movie first came out it was so original. The sequels and the fact that half of every modern day comedies parodies it has watered it down so much though. The original movie really doesn't get as much credit as it deserves.

My only two problems with The Matrix are that it makes no fucking sense...and Keanu Reeves.
<!--quoteo(post=92338:date=Apr 23 2010, 11:16 AM:name=jstraw)-->QUOTE (jstraw @ Apr 23 2010, 11:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=92337:date=Apr 23 2010, 11:13 AM:name=Scarey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scarey @ Apr 23 2010, 11:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=92102:date=Apr 22 2010, 12:54 PM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Apr 22 2010, 12:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=92067:date=Apr 22 2010, 11:58 AM:name=BT)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BT @ Apr 22 2010, 11:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=92042:date=Apr 22 2010, 09:53 AM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Apr 22 2010, 09:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I watched the trailer a few months back. I'm kind of torn. I like the concept and the actors/director involved, but the trailer was a bit over the top and bizarre for me, and usual for me, the more bizarre the better. I'm still interested to see it though.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

My only two problems with The Matrix are that it makes no fucking sense...and Keanu Reeves.
The concept of the first Matrix was a whole lot more interesting than the reality of it. I thought the 1st half was near perfect. It all went downhill once Keanu was unplugged from the Matrix though and then it became more or less a straight action movie. The sequels are nearly unwatchable for me. I like the existentialism and much of the story, and the action is nice and all, but they leave me wondering what the hell was the point of it all.

I know this was mentioned in another thread, but I've always preferred Dark City to Matrix. Very similar idea that came before Matrix, the action isn't overly stylized, and I could relate to the characters a lot more. Plus, the studio didn't ruin it with sub-par sequels.
<!--quoteo(post=92377:date=Apr 23 2010, 01:23 PM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Apr 23 2010, 01:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=92338:date=Apr 23 2010, 11:16 AM:name=jstraw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jstraw @ Apr 23 2010, 11:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=92337:date=Apr 23 2010, 11:13 AM:name=Scarey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scarey @ Apr 23 2010, 11:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=92102:date=Apr 22 2010, 12:54 PM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Apr 22 2010, 12:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=92067:date=Apr 22 2010, 11:58 AM:name=BT)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BT @ Apr 22 2010, 11:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=92042:date=Apr 22 2010, 09:53 AM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Apr 22 2010, 09:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I watched the trailer a few months back. I'm kind of torn. I like the concept and the actors/director involved, but the trailer was a bit over the top and bizarre for me, and usual for me, the more bizarre the better. I'm still interested to see it though.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The concept of the first Matrix was a whole lot more interesting than the reality of it. I thought the 1st half was near perfect. It all went downhill once Keanu was unplugged from the Matrix though and then it became more or less a straight action movie. The sequels are nearly unwatchable for me. I like the existentialism and much of the story, and the action is nice and all, but they leave me wondering what the hell was the point of it all.

I know this was mentioned in another thread, but I've always preferred Dark City to Matrix. Very similar idea that came before Matrix, the action isn't overly stylized, and I could relate to the characters a lot more. Plus, the studio didn't ruin it with sub-par sequels.
Our robot overlords will not use humans for batteries. It's just plain dumb.
The Matrix fucking sucked.
I hate my pretentious sounding username too.
The first Matrix was great, the sequels were awful.
Wang.
I enjoyed the first Matrix and I really liked the fight with all of the replicated dudes in the 2nd one. I haven't seen the 3rd one.
Did any of you guys ever see this? I watched it the other night and it was extremely strange, yet pretty entertaining at the same time. Not sure I'd recommend it, but it was interesting at least.
I didn't like it.
I loved it. It did comical violence the way it should be done. It was whimsical, a fantasy from the start. I also went to see it a day after watching the abomination <i>Kickass</i>, and fortunately, <i>Scott Pilgrim</i> cleansed my palette.
One dick can poke an eye out. A hundred dicks can move mountains.
--Veryzer

<!--quoteo(post=124149:date=Dec 21 2010, 01:59 PM:name=VanSlawAndCottoCheese)-->QUOTE (VanSlawAndCottoCheese @ Dec 21 2010, 01:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I loved it. It did comical violence the way it should be done. It was whimsical, a fantasy from the start. I also went to see it a day anfter watching the abomination <i>Kickass</i>, and fortunately, <i>Scott Pilgrim</i> cleansed my palette.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I thought it was excellent, and much more my style than Kickass, but I actually enjoyed both movies for different reasons. Kickass would have been a horrible mess if not for Chloe Moretz's performance, as the rest of the cast and storyline was pure crap. Scott Pilgrim, on the other hand, hit all the right notes, and especially toward the end took some turns that I didn't expect. Edgar Wright is one of my favorites, and he hasn't made a bad film yet, as far as I can tell. I'd give it 4/5 stars.