Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Serbian Film
It sounds like this one puts the Human Centipede to shame. The trailer is fucked, but apparently it goes way beyond what you see in the trailer. I don't want to give away any spoilers, and they're hard to come by, but I don't think there's any way I could sit through it. It's an artsy film, and is supposed to be some sort of social commentary on government censorship in Serbia, but I doubt this thing gets released ANYWHERE, let alone Serbia. The trailer is very NSFW. I wouldn't even watch it at home with the wife or kid in the house:

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="http://www.trailerspy.com/xmoov_flv/player/8035/va_blue/" width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.trailerspy.com/xmoov_flv/player/8035/va_blue/" /><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="FlashVars" value="content_title=Serbian Film Red Band Trailer&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp" /></object>

And a review:

http://twitchfilm.net/reviews/2010/03/sxsw...film-review.php
looks trippy. if some of the weird gore/violence has any sort of purpose it might be cool. guess i should read that review.
Life is a bitch, but she's totally doable.
I actually did read about this a while back and just shrugged it off. It sounded like a blatant attempt to piss people off.

The only part that blew me away was the scene with the fetus, but I assume there is much more to this. That is just wrong on so many levels. That said, this kind of thing generally does not interest me on a serious art-film level (movies like Man Bites Dog are the exception). Snuff films freak me out, and I'm not sure what the end game of all this is. I can't be sure of this, but I also doubt that this would disturb me on a personal level as much as Antichrist or leave me feeling as saddened as when I watched Irreversible, or as ashamed for humanity as in Salo. Yes, I'm intrigued, but still think I will avoid this at all costs.
i'm intrigued
I could have done without seeing ol Milosh's wang.
I like that techno song a lot.
If Angelo had picked McClellin, I would have been expecting to hear by training camp that kid has stage 4 cancer, is actually 5'2" 142 lbs, is a chick who played in a 7 - 0 defensive scheme who only rotated in on downs which were 3 and 34 yds + so is not expecting to play a down in the NFL until the sex change is complete and she puts on another 100 lbs. + but this is Emery's first pick so he'll get a pass with a bit of questioning. - 1060Ivy
Against my better judgment, I downloaded a perfect dvd rip of the screener and will watch it sometime in the next few days.

I'm frightened.
Godspeed and good luck.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." - George Carlin 

"That was some of the saddest stuff I've ever read. Fuck cancer and AIDS, ignorance is the scourge of the land." - tom v

Salo was pure shit (no pun intended.) And not because I was shocked, as I'm pretty desensitized, but because there was no point. Antichrist was just pointless, also. I actually enjoyed Irreversible because it had a point. Let me know if this has a point (more than an intended point.)
If Angelo had picked McClellin, I would have been expecting to hear by training camp that kid has stage 4 cancer, is actually 5'2" 142 lbs, is a chick who played in a 7 - 0 defensive scheme who only rotated in on downs which were 3 and 34 yds + so is not expecting to play a down in the NFL until the sex change is complete and she puts on another 100 lbs. + but this is Emery's first pick so he'll get a pass with a bit of questioning. - 1060Ivy
<!--quoteo(post=113757:date=Sep 8 2010, 04:10 PM:name=bz)-->QUOTE (bz @ Sep 8 2010, 04:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Salo was pure shit (no pun intended.) And not because I was shocked, as I'm pretty desensitized, but because there was no point. Antichrist was just pointless, also. I actually enjoyed Irreversible because it had a point. Let me know if this has a point (more than an intended point.)<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I agree with just about all of the above, for the most part. Salo is just an excruciating mess. I only watched it because the film was banned for so many years and I was curious as to what all the fuss was about. I'm convinced that Pasolini was a degenerate who only was able to make films because his wealthy friends were as sick as he was, and they got off on snuff films and garbage like Salo. On the other hand, Antichrist had a point and actually the story can be deconstructed into some fairly meaningful allegories about relationships and humanity in general, only it spent too much time trying to shock viewers. The ultraviolence didn't fit with all the psychobabble. Now, Irreversible, if viewed in chronological order, wouldn't be nearly as effective, but is still not a movie I'd watch again mainly for the rape scene. Saying I enjoyed it would be a stretch, but I admired most of it, and the acting, direction and the editing was all excellent. Gaspar Noe makes some interesting movies, but they all fall short IMO. His latest, Enter the Void, could change my mind on him though, if all the praise is warranted.

Anyway, I only skimmed through the first 30 minutes of Serbian Film, and it appears that most of the controversial parts (in European tradition) are in the final act, so I'll finish it up when I have more free time in a few days.
You're right about Antichrist having a point. But it was completely wasted/hidden/took a back seat