Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ryan Theridiot
Now it all makes sense. Theriot's thinking played into it:

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->It was Ryan Theriot bobblehead doll day at Wrigley Field, but this was not your usual little baseball look-alike. Theriot (the doll) was standing in a yellow boat with a fishing pole and floppy hat.

Did he design or the sponsoring Juicy Fruit people?

"Kind of like a little bit of both," he said. "I wanted to do something a little off the cuff, kind of cool and interesting. That's what we came up with and it came out great."<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
@TheBlogfines
Theriot shouldn't be authorized to think.
Abort him now.
I don't believe Theriot has a single functioning brain cell.
I missed this Lou gem from a couple days ago.

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->2B Ryan Theriot led off again despite a .321 on-base percentage. The big problem is that the Cubs don't have a true leadoff man. "We don't have many choices," manager Lou Piniella said. "I think we've probably hit Theriot and (Kosuke) Fukudome No. 1 the most. I think (Marlon) Byrd's led off a few games. I don't remember anybody else leading off here. That's it. Theriot's leading our team in stolen bases. He's been getting on base more lately. He's been getting his basehits. We don't have that many choices is what I'm trying to tell you."<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Speed doesn't slump.
<!--quoteo(post=101974:date=Jun 17 2010, 03:14 PM:name=Brock)-->QUOTE (Brock @ Jun 17 2010, 03:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I missed this Lou gem from a couple days ago.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->2B Ryan Theriot led off again despite a .321 on-base percentage. The big problem is that the Cubs don't have a true leadoff man. "We don't have many choices," manager Lou Piniella said. "I think we've probably hit Theriot and (Kosuke) Fukudome No. 1 the most. I think (Marlon) Byrd's led off a few games. I don't remember anybody else leading off here. That's it. Theriot's leading our team in stolen bases. He's been getting on base more lately. He's been getting his basehits. We don't have that many choices is what I'm trying to tell you."<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Speed doesn't slump.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Wow.
Replace Theriot's name with Neifi, and I swear Dusty said the exact same thing several years ago.

That said, we really don't have many options after those 2, but lately Theriot deserves no consideration for any spot batting higher than 8th.
My problem is with "I think..." and "I don't remember..." I don't expect him to have an Oracle database for a brain but I expect him to base his decisions one more than his gut and shitty memory. I expect him to...you know...look at stats...old lineups...something.
<!--quoteo(post=101974:date=Jun 17 2010, 04:14 PM:name=Brock)-->QUOTE (Brock @ Jun 17 2010, 04:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I missed this Lou gem from a couple days ago.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->2B Ryan Theriot led off again despite a .321 on-base percentage. The big problem is that the Cubs don't have a true leadoff man. "We don't have many choices," manager Lou Piniella said. "I think we've probably hit Theriot and (Kosuke) Fukudome No. 1 the most. I think (Marlon) Byrd's led off a few games. I don't remember anybody else leading off here. That's it. Theriot's leading our team in stolen bases. He's been getting on base more lately. He's been getting his basehits. We don't have that many choices is what I'm trying to tell you."<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Speed doesn't slump.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Good Lord - I don't have better options, so I'm going to give an admittedly shitty option the MOST at bats on the team.
Cubs News and Rumors at Bleacher Nation.
Once Aramis is back...

Baker 1st against lefties, Fontenot 1st against righties. Just... do it. And pray Aramis is back to himself(and if he's not, the team has no chance anyway).
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=101991:date=Jun 17 2010, 03:46 PM:name=jstraw)-->QUOTE (jstraw @ Jun 17 2010, 03:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->My problem is with "I think..." and "I don't remember..." I don't expect him to have an Oracle database for a brain but I expect him to base his decisions one more than his gut and shitty memory. I expect him to...you know...look at stats...old lineups...something.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's abut exactly what I was thinking.....but Scarey's gonna defend it anyway.
Wang.
Fontenot should be getting virtually all of the starts against RHP's in my opinion. Except for Theriot's swiping bases, with which he has been much more disciplined this year, and walks, Fontenot leads Theriot in virtually every significant offensive stat. Fontenot is certainly much more than servicable with the glove out there, too. Theriot is obviously a favorite of Lou's, but a singles hitter with an .OBP of .322 is NOT really helping the offense. It's like carrying Pierre or Podsednik when they're hitting under .310~ they're a liability, regardless of the stolen bases.

Fontenot has been doing everything asked of him, and Lou's been much better at playing him to his strengths this year; that said, Theriot lost his starting SS job to a kid with better range and a slightly higher .OBP (and virtually the same number of extra-base hits and RBI's in 100+ less AB's). Fontenot did not lose HIS job to a better player... Lou took it away to play his favorite more often.

JH needs to get on the phones and make a deal to ship either Theriot of Baker to a team where they can get some AB's (and let our remaining gys get theirs', too). Theriot is clearly a better option for a team like Colorado or the Twins (with both starting middle IF's on the DL), but we might need to eat some of Theriot's salary to get something meaningful in return. I'm sure if JH wants it done, it will get done. Until then, Lou needs to get over his Dusty/Neifi-like man-crush on Theriot and play the guy with the better bat: Fontenot. I'll take Colvin's .365 .OBP leading off over Theriot's performance any day of the week, anyway, so I don't see what the heck Lou's dilema is.
"Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods." Albert Einstein
Theriot to the Red Sox? Pedroia's out 4-6 weeks and they could use some middle infield depth. Theo Epstein's no dummy though, so we couldn't sell things about Theriot that we may be able to with other teams.
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=103125:date=Jun 26 2010, 05:33 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Jun 26 2010, 05:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Theriot to the Red Sox? Pedroia's out 4-6 weeks and they could use some middle infield depth. Theo Epstein's no dummy though, so we couldn't sell things about Theriot that we may be able to with other teams.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Just fucking give him to them, we don't need anything in return.
The Red Sox would never and have never had any interest in Theriot. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dry.gif[/img]