Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fire Lou
I just don't see how this team is any better than 2 wins better even if Patches O'Houlihan is manager.
<!--quoteo(post=98961:date=May 29 2010, 09:02 AM:name=Scarey)-->QUOTE (Scarey @ May 29 2010, 09:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I just don't see how this team is any better than 2 wins better even if Patches O'Houlihan is manager.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Better or worse isn't my concern, I just want a manager who is willing to make the correct in game decision, player role decision, and has the ability to properly fill out a lineup card. Oh, and someone who has a fucking clue how a player's stats are trending would be a good idea too.
Let's put it this way, this team is within sniffing area of .500 despite what Lou's brought to the table.
<!--quoteo(post=98959:date=May 29 2010, 09:46 AM:name=ruby23)-->QUOTE (ruby23 @ May 29 2010, 09:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=98951:date=May 29 2010, 07:25 AM:name=Ace)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ace @ May 29 2010, 07:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I thought Ruby was being sarcastic with the biggest problem part.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Nope.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Aramis Ramirez is hurting the Cubs far, far, far more than Lou Piniella is right now.

(and I also think Lou should probably have been fired a few weeks ago)
Cubs News and Rumors at Bleacher Nation.
<!--quoteo(post=98968:date=May 29 2010, 09:18 AM:name=Ace)-->QUOTE (Ace @ May 29 2010, 09:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=98959:date=May 29 2010, 09:46 AM:name=ruby23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ruby23 @ May 29 2010, 09:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=98951:date=May 29 2010, 07:25 AM:name=Ace)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ace @ May 29 2010, 07:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I thought Ruby was being sarcastic with the biggest problem part.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Nope.

Aramis Ramirez is hurting the Cubs far, far, far more than Lou Piniella is right now.

(and I also think Lou should probably have been fired a few weeks ago)
Of course, it's hyperbole.

And I never wanted Lou hired in the first place.
After Ramirez and the 7th/8th inning bullpen situation, Lou is next on the list of things that need improvement on this team. He's been out to lunch all season (and probably last season as well). He should have been fired after the last Pittsburgh series, but if it didn't happen then, it won't now.
The fact that Lou had to be told that Theriot has only taken one walk in the last month says everything you need to know about Lou. I feel like he he's already retired and he just doesn't know it yet. And as much as BT tries to defend it, the Zambrano debacle was just brutal.

I liked the Lou hire when it happened, not because I thought his in-game/strategy/motivational skills were spectacular, but because I thought he was gonna bring a little fire, hold players accountable, show some emotion.....all the things Dusty didn't do, and in that department, he's been a major disappointment. He's just a dottering old fool now. Time to go.
Wang.
<!--quoteo(post=98981:date=May 29 2010, 10:16 AM:name=veryzer)-->QUOTE (veryzer @ May 29 2010, 10:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->The fact that Lou had to be told that Theriot has only taken one walk in the last month says everything you need to know about Lou. I feel like he he's already retired and he just doesn't know it yet. And as much as BT tries to defend it, the Zambrano debacle was just brutal.

I liked the Lou hire when it happened, not because I thought his in-game/strategy/motivational skills were spectacular, but because I thought he was gonna bring a little fire, hold players accountable, show some emotion.....all the things Dusty didn't do, and in that department, he's been a major disappointment. He's just a dottering old fool now. Time to go.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This "Lou didn't know about Theriot's walks" thing is so fucking blown out of proportion. Everyone acts like he thinks Theriot's been getting on base without a problem. I'm sure he knows that Theriot hasn't been getting on base, but just didn't keep up with the amount of times he's walked. I know that's complete conjecture, but so is the idea that he has been living in a cave in the clubhouse without any knowledge as to how much Theriot's been getting on base.

The attitude around here is fucked up. People are<i> finding </i>things to complain about. Nobody's happy about being a sub .500 ball club, but when we're combing through interviews to pick on the slightest fuck-up of a comment by the manager, it's pretty fucked up. I know it's not just us, it's the media and every other sports fan. All the knee jerk responses to every little thing is just getting tiresome in my eyes. What's wrong with waiting things out? I mean, we're on a streak where we've won 8 of 12 from mostly very good teams. Is it the worst thing in the world to see where things go in the next 2 months rather than picking apart every little thing that can be dug up?

I'm not trying to tell anyone they're wrong for voicing their opinions (and I don't want anyone to feel like they're being singled out, especially you Tom since I quoted your comment as an example). It's just disappointing to me that Butcher is probably one of the least negative personalities on this board lately. I'm not expecting anyone to shit sunshine, but making a big deal about a throw away comment? Come the fuck on. Does nobody else feel this way?

Yeah yeah, I know I'll get the lines about "waiting my whole life" and how "the Cubs owe me", yada yada yada. I'm not trying to shame anyone for voicing their opinion. But maybe just take a step back and look at the grand scheme of things and realize there's a reason you watch and follow this team the way you do.
<!--quoteo(post=98983:date=May 29 2010, 11:44 AM:name=Scarey)-->QUOTE (Scarey @ May 29 2010, 11:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=98981:date=May 29 2010, 10:16 AM:name=veryzer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (veryzer @ May 29 2010, 10:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->The fact that Lou had to be told that Theriot has only taken one walk in the last month says everything you need to know about Lou. I feel like he he's already retired and he just doesn't know it yet. And as much as BT tries to defend it, the Zambrano debacle was just brutal.

I liked the Lou hire when it happened, not because I thought his in-game/strategy/motivational skills were spectacular, but because I thought he was gonna bring a little fire, hold players accountable, show some emotion.....all the things Dusty didn't do, and in that department, he's been a major disappointment. He's just a dottering old fool now. Time to go.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This "Lou didn't know about Theriot's walks" thing is so fucking blown out of proportion. Everyone acts like he thinks Theriot's been getting on base without a problem. I'm sure he knows that Theriot hasn't been getting on base, but just didn't keep up with the amount of times he's walked. I know that's complete conjecture, but so is the idea that he has been living in a cave in the clubhouse without any knowledge as to how much Theriot's been getting on base.

The attitude around here is fucked up. People are<i> finding </i>things to complain about. Nobody's happy about being a sub .500 ball club, but when we're combing through interviews to pick on the slightest fuck-up of a comment by the manager, it's pretty fucked up. I know it's not just us, it's the media and every other sports fan. All the knee jerk responses to every little thing is just getting tiresome in my eyes. What's wrong with waiting things out? I mean, we're on a streak where we've won 8 of 12 from mostly very good teams. Is it the worst thing in the world to see where things go in the next 2 months rather than picking apart every little thing that can be dug up?

I'm not trying to tell anyone they're wrong for voicing their opinions (and I don't want anyone to feel like they're being singled out, especially you Tom since I quoted your comment as an example). It's just disappointing to me that Butcher is probably one of the least negative personalities on this board lately. I'm not expecting anyone to shit sunshine, but making a big deal about a throw away comment? Come the fuck on. Does nobody else feel this way?

Yeah yeah, I know I'll get the lines about "waiting my whole life" and how "the Cubs owe me", yada yada yada. I'm not trying to shame anyone for voicing their opinion. But maybe just take a step back and look at the grand scheme of things and realize there's a reason you watch and follow this team the way you do.

You're wrong for voicing your opinion.
Cubs News and Rumors at Bleacher Nation.
<!--quoteo(post=98983:date=May 29 2010, 09:44 AM:name=Scarey)-->QUOTE (Scarey @ May 29 2010, 09:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->This "Lou didn't know about Theriot's walks" thing is so fucking blown out of proportion. Everyone acts like he thinks Theriot's been getting on base without a problem. I'm sure he knows that Theriot hasn't been getting on base, but just didn't keep up with the amount of times he's walked. I know that's complete conjecture, but so is the idea that he has been living in a cave in the clubhouse without any knowledge as to how much Theriot's been getting on base.

The attitude around here is fucked up. People are<i> finding </i>things to complain about. Nobody's happy about being a sub .500 ball club, but when we're combing through interviews to pick on the slightest fuck-up of a comment by the manager, it's pretty fucked up. I know it's not just us, it's the media and every other sports fan. All the knee jerk responses to every little thing is just getting tiresome in my eyes. What's wrong with waiting things out? I mean, we're on a streak where we've won 8 of 12 from mostly very good teams. Is it the worst thing in the world to see where things go in the next 2 months rather than picking apart every little thing that can be dug up?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think BT stole Scarey's password [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]

I agree things have been quite negative for some time though, but I think people often use this as a place to vent, I know I do. I get pissed and spout off about the things I hate, but in general I'm actually pretty optimistic.

I also think Lou has been in-game managing like a crazy old man for a while now, but I don't think replacing him mid-season would do much good. I hope he isn't back next year though.
I know for me, some of the increased impatience stems from two things that are different this year. First is that it's the beginning of the Ricketts era and I want to see an ownership demonstrate some expectations for success....and that suggests some rebuilding beyond player personnel. I'm expecting Hendry will not be fired and barring some miracle between now and September, I expect to be very unhappy about that. Second is that it's the last year of Lou's contract and perhaps the last year of his career. If he looks like he's marking time (and I think it does) then he should be shown the door.

It's all well and good that Ricketts is sprucing up the ballpark. I know our contract/payroll situation is less than optimal. I realize that our farm system is about to start puking up future HOFers. But I really want to see signs of real regime change. We can't wait out out player contracts and see what Hendry can do five years from now. As those contracts run out, I want someone else with a different approach to building a roster making the decisions. Hendry needs to go more than Lou does.
I actually feel that I've been more fair and less impatient this season compared to the last 7 or 8, but oh well, you can't please everyone.
Well, what's the point of a baseball forum if it isn't nitpicking about the team? I don't mean this sarcastically. What else are we going to talk about? And there really has been plenty to bitch and moan about this year.
<!--quoteo(post=98966:date=May 29 2010, 08:17 AM:name=ruby23)-->QUOTE (ruby23 @ May 29 2010, 08:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=98961:date=May 29 2010, 09:02 AM:name=Scarey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scarey @ May 29 2010, 09:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I just don't see how this team is any better than 2 wins better even if Patches O'Houlihan is manager.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Better or worse isn't my concern, I just want a manager who is willing to make the correct in game decision, player role decision, and has the ability to properly fill out a lineup card. Oh, and someone who has a fucking clue how a player's stats are trending would be a good idea too.
This. Lou's lineups and in-game managing have been pretty piss poor.
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=98983:date=May 29 2010, 09:44 AM:name=Scarey)-->QUOTE (Scarey @ May 29 2010, 09:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=98981:date=May 29 2010, 10:16 AM:name=veryzer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (veryzer @ May 29 2010, 10:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->The fact that Lou had to be told that Theriot has only taken one walk in the last month says everything you need to know about Lou. I feel like he he's already retired and he just doesn't know it yet. And as much as BT tries to defend it, the Zambrano debacle was just brutal.

The attitude around here is fucked up. People are<i> finding </i>things to complain about. Nobody's happy about being a sub .500 ball club, but when we're combing through interviews to pick on the slightest fuck-up of a comment by the manager, it's pretty fucked up. I know it's not just us, it's the media and every other sports fan. <b>All the knee jerk responses to every little thing is just getting tiresome in my eyes. What's wrong with waiting things out?</b> I mean, we're on a streak where we've won 8 of 12 from mostly very good teams. Is it the worst thing in the world to see where things go in the next 2 months rather than picking apart every little thing that can be dug up?

You just described what bugs me most about Lou.
@TheBlogfines