Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Carlos Marmol
In case you're wondering if it's just your imagination that every Marmol appearance is a high-wire act, uh...no. Jayson Stark talks about Marmol's historic weirdness in this article...here are some highlights:

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->The On A Roll Award
Winner: Carlos Marmol

There are certain qualities you'd ordinarily look for in a closer that you're never going to get from Carlos Marmol.

Strike-throwing, for example.

In case you'd never noticed, no pitcher in the history of his sport has walked more hitters per nine innings than the Cubs' trusty thrill-a-minute closer (who's running away from the field, at 5.82). So fine. We've established that Dennis Eckersley he's not.

But that's not why Marmol is collecting his first career Sandwich Award this week. He ascended to Sandwich-level fame for his other unprecedented talent in life:

This man can flat out strike you out.

He has pitched 24 2/3 innings this season -- and has 49 strikeouts. That means<b> he's whiffing 17.9 hitters for every nine innings</b> he's out there. And friends, that ought to be impossible. Here's what you need to know about that insane stat:

• Not only would 17.9 K's per nine innings be the greatest strikeout rate in history if Marmol could keep it up. It would be the greatest by almost three strikeouts. The all-time record for pitchers with at least 30 innings in a season is "only" 14.98, by Eric Gagne in 2003.

• Besides Gagne, just five other relievers in history ever had seasons in which they came within four strikeouts per nine innings of Marmol's current rate: Billy Wagner (14.95 in his whiffingest best season, 1999), Brad Lidge (14.93 in 2004), Armando Benitez (14.77 in 1999), Byung-Hyun Kim (14.14 in 2000) and Rob Dibble (14.08 in 1992). Crazy.

• Finally, Marmol is already up to five saves this year in which all three of his outs came on strikeouts. So before he even got to Memorial Day weekend, he was more than halfway to the record for strike-out-the-side one-inning saves. Gagne holds that record, with nine saves like that in 2003. Robb Nen had eight in 2000. The only other closers with more than six are Lidge in 2005, Wagner in 1999 and good old John Rocker in 2000 (all with seven).

So what are we to make of Carlos Marmol? Well, it's hard to overlook the fact that, thanks to all those pitches he forgets to throw for strikes, the ride can get a little rocky now and then.

<b>"It's not always domination," laughed one scout. "Sometimes it's abomination.</b> Every time Lou [Piniella] calls out there to the 'pen, I can see more gray in his beard."

But unhittability is always good. That's our motto.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
5.82 BB/9 is the most ever? Maybe it's me, but that doesn't seem out of this world, nor so bad that it's a record of some sort.
I hate my pretentious sounding username too.
<!--quoteo(post=99133:date=May 30 2010, 02:41 AM:name=Destined)-->QUOTE (Destined @ May 30 2010, 02:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->5.82 BB/9 is the most ever? Maybe it's me, but that doesn't seem out of this world, nor so bad that it's a record of some sort.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
5.82 is nowhere close to the most ever. The first guy who popped into my head was Mitch Williams, I looked him up and he had a 7.1 BB/9 ratio during his 12 year career, so Marmol isn't even close and that was just the first guy who popped into my head.
Yep. I just did the same thing, at 4:25 in the morning. The first guy who popped into my head was Nolan Ryan, and he walked 6 batters per 9 innings frequently. The difference is that he was throwing 300+ innings a year!

So Stark must have screwed up. I'm guessing that since all the other players he mentions are closers, he was just comparing other closers. But that still wouldn't explain Mitch Williams.

Mitch, Farns, Carlos...is there no end to the lunacy of being a Cub fan? At least Carlos is effective, in his roundabout way.
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
Wow, wanna know a weird stat? On the list of FEWEST walks-per-nine innings in a season, the record books show Carlos Silva to be #7. Yeah, <i>that</i> Carlos Silva...apparently, in 2005, he challenged batters to a historic degree. What's especially interesting about that stat is that every other pitcher in the Top 20 of this list is from the 1800's.

The only modern guys in the top 50 or 60 are Bret Saberhagen and Greg Maddux. That's pretty elite company.
Heh, heh...more Silva stuff...current CAREER leaders, Least walks per 9:

Player (age) Bases On Balls per 9 IP
1. Carlos Silva (31) 1.7127
2. Dan Haren (29) 1.9721
3. Roy Halladay (33) 1.9791
4. Mark Buehrle (31) 2.0564
5. Roy Oswalt (32) 2.0621
6. Ben Sheets (31) 2.0653
7. Mariano Rivera (40) 2.1170
8. Carl Pavano (34) 2.3356
9. Javier Vazquez (34) 2.3815
10. Cliff Lee (31) 2.4288
11. Aaron Harang (32) 2.4581
12. Johan Santana (31) 2.4862

Wow. Suddenly, I really like Silva a lot more.
<!--quoteo(post=99135:date=May 30 2010, 04:26 AM:name=KBwsb)-->QUOTE (KBwsb @ May 30 2010, 04:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->So Stark must have screwed up. I'm guessing that since all the other players he mentions are closers, he was just comparing other closers. But that still wouldn't explain Mitch Williams.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Carlos himself walked 7.9 per nine innings last year. I have no idea why he said that.
By the way KB, I think that article is an insider article, you may want to trim it up a bit as to not wake the ESPN beast.
<!--quoteo(post=99137:date=May 30 2010, 04:55 AM:name=KBwsb)-->QUOTE (KBwsb @ May 30 2010, 04:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Heh, heh...more Silva stuff...current CAREER leaders, Least walks per 9:

Player (age) Bases On Balls per 9 IP
1. Carlos Silva (31) 1.7127
2. Dan Haren (29) 1.9721
3. Roy Halladay (33) 1.9791
4. Mark Buehrle (31) 2.0564
5. Roy Oswalt (32) 2.0621
6. Ben Sheets (31) 2.0653
7. Mariano Rivera (40) 2.1170
8. Carl Pavano (34) 2.3356
9. Javier Vazquez (34) 2.3815
10. Cliff Lee (31) 2.4288
11. Aaron Harang (32) 2.4581
12. Johan Santana (31) 2.4862

Wow. Suddenly, I really like Silva a lot more.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yup...Jim Hendry did a good job.
<!--quoteo(post=99142:date=May 30 2010, 06:46 AM:name=Scarey)-->QUOTE (Scarey @ May 30 2010, 06:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->By the way KB, I think that article is an insider article, you may want to trim it up a bit as to not wake the ESPN beast.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Done.
Though I'm wondering if I should delete the whole article; besides making the point that Marmol strikes out a stunning amount of batters, it doesn't have much else to say.

And we already knew that.