Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cricket?
I watch SkySports all the time, so I know of Flintoff and Vaughan and I kept up with the ashes last year. But what I don't get it is when they say "England was 58 for 6" or what not. And I don't understand what an over is.
I hate my pretentious sounding username too.
<!--quoteo(post=100591:date=Jun 9 2010, 05:54 PM:name=Destined)-->QUOTE (Destined @ Jun 9 2010, 05:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I watch SkySports all the time, so I know of Flintoff and Vaughan and I kept up with the ashes last year. But what I don't get it is when they say "England was 58 for 6" or what not. And I don't understand what an over is.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

58 for 6 means that the team batting have 58 runs but have lost 6 wickets (that is quite frankly a rubbish score by the way). So 224 for 9 would mean the batting team has 224 runs for 9 wickets down, and 334 all out would mean they got 334 runs for their 10 wickets in that inning.

An over is 6 balls bowled by one bowler. A bowler bowls one over from an end, and then the next over is bowled from the other end (if that sentence doesn't make sense, you'll have to watch a game for it to...I don't know how to explain it better!) by another bowler, because the same bowler cannot bowl to consecutive overs. So, unlike baseball, where you have one pitcher working alone, in cricket you have bowlers working together, and it adds a whole other dimension to the game, because you get some great partnerships. For example, back in the late 90's and early 2000's, the two England opening quick bowlers were Darren Gough and Andrew Caddick. Gough was short, and so had quite a 'skiddy' action, tend to bowl full of length and swing the ball, whereas Caddick was tall and gangly, and would tend to bang the ball in short. This meant that together they tested the batsmen against full balls and short balls and worked really well together.

Guess I should explain the different types of bowlers you can get. Put simply, they're split between 'fast' bowlers and 'spin' bowlers. Fast bowlers come in off a long run up and basically hurl the ball down as fast as they can (up to about 100mph, similar to baseball). Some (easier the slower they are) get the ball to 'swing', which basically means it moves in the air, much like a 2-seam fast ball I guess. Makes it much harder for the batsman to play, especially if the bowler can swing it either way (towards or away from the batsman). Spinners are either 'off-spinners' (the ball will spin towards a right-handed batsmen after it hits the ground) or 'leg-spinners' (the ball will turn away from the batsmen after it hits the ground). A googly is when a spinner turns the ball in the 'wrong' direction (so an off-spinner turning the ball like a leg-spinner or vice-versa, thus deceiving the batsman).
A few days ago, I saw a large group of black men playing cricket at a nearby park. I'm not exaggerating. I'm not being racist. I'm not trying to stereotype. Maybe they weren't American. All I know is it was quite a strange sight. They were even wearing their white Sunday-best dress clothes. This is Hammond, IN, just off the southeast border of Chicago. Cricket!!
<!--quoteo(post=100654:date=Jun 9 2010, 11:08 PM:name=vegascub)-->QUOTE (vegascub @ Jun 9 2010, 11:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->A few days ago, I saw a large group of black men playing cricket at a nearby park. I'm not exaggerating. I'm not being racist. I'm not trying to stereotype. Maybe they weren't American. All I know is it was quite a strange sight. They were even wearing their white Sunday-best dress clothes. This is Hammond, IN, just off the southeast border of Chicago. Cricket!!<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Gotta be from Jamaica or the Bahamas.
<!--quoteo(post=100625:date=Jun 9 2010, 03:32 PM:name=LondonCub)-->QUOTE (LondonCub @ Jun 9 2010, 03:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=100591:date=Jun 9 2010, 05:54 PM:name=Destined)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Destined @ Jun 9 2010, 05:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I watch SkySports all the time, so I know of Flintoff and Vaughan and I kept up with the ashes last year. But what I don't get it is when they say "England was 58 for 6" or what not. And I don't understand what an over is.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

58 for 6 means that the team batting have 58 runs but have lost 6 wickets (that is quite frankly a rubbish score by the way). So 224 for 9 would mean the batting team has 224 runs for 9 wickets down, and 334 all out would mean they got 334 runs for their 10 wickets in that inning.

An over is 6 balls bowled by one bowler. A bowler bowls one over from an end, and then the next over is bowled from the other end (if that sentence doesn't make sense, you'll have to watch a game for it to...I don't know how to explain it better!) by another bowler, because the same bowler cannot bowl to consecutive overs. So, unlike baseball, where you have one pitcher working alone, in cricket you have bowlers working together, and it adds a whole other dimension to the game, because you get some great partnerships. For example, back in the late 90's and early 2000's, the two England opening quick bowlers were Darren Gough and Andrew Caddick. Gough was short, and so had quite a 'skiddy' action, tend to bowl full of length and swing the ball, whereas Caddick was tall and gangly, and would tend to bang the ball in short. This meant that together they tested the batsmen against full balls and short balls and worked really well together.

Guess I should explain the different types of bowlers you can get. Put simply, they're split between 'fast' bowlers and 'spin' bowlers. Fast bowlers come in off a long run up and basically hurl the ball down as fast as they can (up to about 100mph, similar to baseball). Some (easier the slower they are) get the ball to 'swing', which basically means it moves in the air, much like a 2-seam fast ball I guess. Makes it much harder for the batsman to play, especially if the bowler can swing it either way (towards or away from the batsman). Spinners are either 'off-spinners' (the ball will spin towards a right-handed batsmen after it hits the ground) or 'leg-spinners' (the ball will turn away from the batsmen after it hits the ground). A googly is when a spinner turns the ball in the 'wrong' direction (so an off-spinner turning the ball like a leg-spinner or vice-versa, thus deceiving the batsman).
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I got it now. You explained the best you could and I think I get it now. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]
This has to be a joke.
<!--quoteo(post=105064:date=Jul 12 2010, 08:21 AM:name=juli888)-->QUOTE (juli888 @ Jul 12 2010, 08:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->At me the younger brother plays this game. It is simply dragged from not. It is simply enamoured. I do not understand than this game, usual banal game can hook?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Anal games can hook even moreso.
i got into it quite a bit while i was in ireleand/scotland last year. nowhere to watch it here though.
<!--quoteo(post=100660:date=Jun 10 2010, 04:33 PM:name=Destined)-->QUOTE (Destined @ Jun 10 2010, 04:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=100654:date=Jun 9 2010, 11:08 PM:name=vegascub)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (vegascub @ Jun 9 2010, 11:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->A few days ago, I saw a large group of black men playing cricket at a nearby park. I'm not exaggerating. I'm not being racist. I'm not trying to stereotype. Maybe they weren't American. All I know is it was quite a strange sight. They were even wearing their white Sunday-best dress clothes. This is Hammond, IN, just off the southeast border of Chicago. Cricket!!<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Gotta be from Jamaica or the Bahamas.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

West Indies used to be the powerhouse cricket nation during the 80's and 90's. But now days they are shithouse which is a shame.

The Indians and Paki's treat cricket like a religion. Biggest thing in those nations outside of curries and bombings. Those nations are plagued by corruption in the sport.