Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All I really feel is jealousy...
Kudos and all of that to the Blackhawks. I'm happy for them and the fans and the city of Chicago, but seeing as I've had little or no interest in hockey the vast majority of my life, I don't feel that I'm entitled to go batshit crazy over this team winning the Stanley Cup.

What I really feel is jealousy. Seeing all those people gathered around Wrigley really did nothing for me other than to make me sad.

The Cubs now stand alone as the symbol of futility in Chicago sports. In my lifetime, every Chicago team has won a Championship except for the most important one. It's hard for me to be truly happy for the Blackhawks in light of what it means for the Cubs and Cub fans.

When does this end?
Wang.
I won't lie. Last night and even in brief moments this morning I was ecstatic as a (lapsed) fan of the Hawks, but they still rank #4 as far as teams that I care most about. It is gonna sound really selfish in an otherwise happy time like this, but I am starting to feel more embarrassed than usual as a Cubs fan, and that is saying a lot. Seeing those people gathered on Clark and Addison made me a little angry, not necessarily toward the fans, but because for a half second, I tricked myself into believing that it will happen next for us, but it never will. Reality is a sonafabitch.
Bring John McDonough back to the Cubs.
<!--quoteo(post=100676:date=Jun 10 2010, 09:00 AM:name=Coldneck)-->QUOTE (Coldneck @ Jun 10 2010, 09:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Bring John McDonough back to the Cubs.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

McDonough has had very little to do with the Hawks on ice success. He has helped to make a name for the Blackhawks in this town again, but Stan Bowman, Scotty Bowman, and most of all recently dismissed Dale Tallon are the men responsible for building this team.

Damn, and I told myself I'd stay out of this thread.
<!--quoteo(post=100678:date=Jun 10 2010, 09:08 AM:name=Scarey)-->QUOTE (Scarey @ Jun 10 2010, 09:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=100676:date=Jun 10 2010, 09:00 AM:name=Coldneck)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Coldneck @ Jun 10 2010, 09:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Bring John McDonough back to the Cubs.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

McDonough has had very little to do with the Hawks on ice success. He has helped to make a name for the Blackhawks in this town again, but Stan Bowman, Scotty Bowman, and most of all recently dismissed Dale Tallon are the men responsible for building this team.

Damn, and I told myself I'd stay out of this thread.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Yep, and Wirtz for finally providing the resources to make it all happen after years of absentee ownership. McDonough is nothing but a marketing whiz. He knows very little about building a winning organization, but that wasn't why he was hired.
McDonough is responsible for a lot of the bandwagon jumpers though.
I'm glad they won it as they are my hockey team (I'll also root for the Sabres) but they are behind the Cubs and Bears for Chicago sports teams. Hopefully we can get some of these horrible contracts gone and start picking up younger talent. I hate having a $144 million payroll that is 4 games under .500.
#17 Mark Grace for the HOF

<!--quoteo(post=100676:date=Jun 10 2010, 10:00 AM:name=Coldneck)-->QUOTE (Coldneck @ Jun 10 2010, 10:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Bring John McDonough back to the Cubs.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I did notice him on the ice with the cup last night. Atleast he gets to celebrate a championship.
does this help?

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/telander/23...-rick09.article
I'm not jealous, it was a great win and a great series. I sure don't have the emotions invested into the Hawks as I do the Cubs but it still feels good. It's kinda like the Bulls, I remember after every championship turning to my friends and saying, "I'd trade all this for a Cubs WS in a heartbeat". That's still the truth. I was happy as a Bulls fan but it pales in comparison. I still enjoyed the shit out of those Bulls wins, but I know that the real dream is with the Cubs. It will always be that way.
Some men are born mediocre, some men achieve mediocrity, and some men have mediocrity thrust upon them.
IM curious, how is the team/sports ranking in chicago?

1. Cubs
2. Bears
3. Sox
4. Bulls
5. Hawks

This is how I imagine it to be, off course with the bulls maybe being #2 when Jordan was there...
Rok expressed my feelings better than I did.
Wang.
IMO:

1. Bears (not even close really)
2. Cubs (though trending down)
3. Hawks (were dead last until now)
4. Bulls (were #1 for years, most of the time are #3 though and only recently surpassed by the Hawks with all the bandwagon jumpers)
5. Sox (were as high as #3 in 2005 not that anyone noticed)
When the Bulls get LeBron, they could easily surpass the Cubs.
Wang.
<!--quoteo(post=100702:date=Jun 10 2010, 11:19 AM:name=veryzer)-->QUOTE (veryzer @ Jun 10 2010, 11:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->When the Bulls get LeBron, they could easily surpass the Cubs.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I'm Glad I am not the only one that honestly believes that.