Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Our biggest trade chips?
<!--quoteo(post=101374:date=Jun 14 2010, 08:32 PM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Jun 14 2010, 08:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=101373:date=Jun 14 2010, 09:29 PM:name=Kid)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kid @ Jun 14 2010, 09:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Lee's a free agent after the season and I don't think too many teams would balk at his price. In fact, if we're sellers, we'd probably pick up most of his salary for the rest of the season (since we've budgeted for it) in order to get more in return. The question is whether he'd waive his NTC.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
If Lee were hitting, I don't think many teams would balk at his salary even for just a half season.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I put this on The Friendly Blogfines recently...

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Through May of 2009, Lee was hitting just .248 with five home runs and a .736 OPS. He'd finish the season with MVP-like numbers: .306 average, 35 home runs, 115 RBI, and a .972 OPS.

His numbers right now are pretty similar to what they were at this time last year, so it's really difficult to figure out what to do with the veteran first baseman. In every full season since 2000, Lee's finished with at least a .270 batting average, 20 homers, 70 RBI, and an .820 OPS. So at the end of the year, at least very good numbers have always been there for Lee.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm not saying he'll do <i>that</i> again. He's 34 and it's possible he's on quite a decline. But I think he's at least still quite a bit better than he's been so far and will pick it up. Teams will buy into his track record.

If nothing else, he's still going to get on base and be a great defensive 1b. I think you could still get a pretty good return for Lee right now.
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal reports that the Cubs have made outfielder Kosuke Fukudome available for trade.
A move, though, seems highly unlikely. Fukudome is owed $13 million this year, $13.5 million in 2011, and has hit just .261/.367/.408 in his two-plus seasons with the Cubs. He also has a no-trade clause and is able to block a deal to 15 of baseball's 30 major league teams.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
@TheBlogfines
Well, let the speculation begin. Who is in desperate need of an outfielder that is currently in contention and has a high contract player to send us back?
A few months ago, the Nats seemed to be interested, but I read somewhere that Fuk has them in his no-trade list.
<!--quoteo(post=101512:date=Jun 15 2010, 02:20 PM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Jun 15 2010, 02:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->A few months ago, the Nats seemed to be interested, but I read somewhere that Fuk has them in his no-trade list.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Maybe he'd reconsider for the chance to be on the same team as SS.
The Angels actually make a lot of sense. They could probably take on Fukudome's contract as is, they don't have a lot of financial obligations. However, they may want to unload Fuentes. It looks like he's going to enable his option and he hasn't been very good since pitching for the Angels. I wouldn't be thrilled about taking on Fuentes for 9 million next year, but it would save a little money and free up an outfield spot. Plus, it doesn't hurt to have a nice bullpen arm despite the fact that he's 35 years old.
<!--quoteo(post=101514:date=Jun 15 2010, 02:25 PM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Jun 15 2010, 02:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=101512:date=Jun 15 2010, 02:20 PM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Jun 15 2010, 02:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->A few months ago, the Nats seemed to be interested, but I read somewhere that Fuk has them in his no-trade list.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Maybe he'd reconsider for the chance to be on the same team as SS.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Yeah, and especially since he wouldn't have to face him and look foolish. A lot has changed in the past 2 months, and especially in the 2 years since he signed on. Plus, given that he will be starting less and less here, you'd think Fuk would be a bit less picky at this point.
Why do I foresee Fuk being traded, Colvin turning into a pumpkin, and the Cubs looking for another right fielder?
<!--quoteo(post=101518:date=Jun 15 2010, 02:43 PM:name=Brock)-->QUOTE (Brock @ Jun 15 2010, 02:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Why do I foresee Fuk being traded, Colvin turning into a pumpkin, and the Cubs looking for another right fielder?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
That may turn out to be the case, but Fuk has no future here and he sucks balls. I would rather bomb with a cheaper and younger internal RF option for now.