Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It's time for a winning streak
It's mid-June and just about everybody has given up on this team and are working out firesale plans. That tells me we're due for the annual "suck you back in" winning streak.

You know they're not going to let us off the hook this easily.

<!--quoteo(post=101106:date=Jun 13 2010, 04:42 PM:name=phan)-->QUOTE (phan @ Jun 13 2010, 04:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->It's mid-June and just about everybody has given up on this team and are working out firesale plans. That tells me we're due for the annual "suck you back in" winning streak.

You know they're not going to let us off the hook this easily.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I hate to say it, but I hope you're wrong. I would hate for this team to think they are in it and then not do anything at the deadline.
<!--quoteo(post=101106:date=Jun 13 2010, 04:42 PM:name=phan)-->QUOTE (phan @ Jun 13 2010, 04:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->It's mid-June and just about everybody has given up on this team and are working out firesale plans. That tells me we're due for the annual "suck you back in" winning streak.

You know they're not going to let us off the hook this easily.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I hope you're right.

You know what I want out of any baseball season? As many days as possible where I feel positive about the Cubs.

Being a Cubs fan IS being Charlie Brown kicking the football.
I'm sure they have a few winning streaks in them. But I've seen enough from this team to know that 2010 isn't the year. I'd rather them be far enough out of first place by the deadline that there is no doubt if we are buyers or sellers.
I'm still going heavily for the team as much as they piss me off. I just can't hope they lose, no matter if the playoffs are probably unrealistic and trading away some guys would be better off for our future. I just can't do it.

Unless you're blown away with an offer, it's too early to do anything. It's a win-now team, as much as we see that winning now most likely won't happen. This team is full of flaws, but they're also way more talented than a bunch of teams with better records currently. Now there's obvious reasons for that as well(terrible fundamentals, clutch hitting, bullpen etc.), but you never know.

I like to consider the team "in it" at like 7 games out by mid-July. And when you haven't won a World Series in over a century, you can't just give up like that. It might be the right thing to do and please some of the smarter fans, but it would anger many, especially season ticket holders.
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=101110:date=Jun 13 2010, 05:16 PM:name=Runnys)-->QUOTE (Runnys @ Jun 13 2010, 05:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=101106:date=Jun 13 2010, 04:42 PM:name=phan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (phan @ Jun 13 2010, 04:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->It's mid-June and just about everybody has given up on this team and are working out firesale plans. That tells me we're due for the annual "suck you back in" winning streak.

I hate to say it, but I hope you're wrong. I would hate for this team to think they are in it and then not do anything at the deadline.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

this is precisely why I think they'll start winning.
hey i made the quote of the week! look at me
I'm like Straw...I want the Cubs to win as much as possible. 2008 was a blast. Maybe it was a fluke, but I loved it.

Besides, I just don't see us making a lot of dazzling and good-for-the-long-term moves even if we ARE out of it at the deadline, so we might as well start winning.
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance