Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This team has been awful, probably couldn't have a worse record. However, this season ain't over.
<!--quoteo(post=101820:date=Jun 16 2010, 10:05 PM:name=ruby23)-->QUOTE (ruby23 @ Jun 16 2010, 10:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->This team has been awful, probably couldn't have a worse record. However, this season ain't over.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree...it will be a death of a thousand cuts.
Don't do this to yourself.
Not buying it. This team has shown me nothing.
<!--quoteo(post=101828:date=Jun 16 2010, 11:22 PM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Jun 16 2010, 11:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Not buying it. This team has shown me nothing.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't either. This team is not going anywhere.
Not many teams that can't score runs consistently nor hold leads in the 6th, 7th or 8th innings make the playoffs.

Most of the starters have been pitchering better than expected but I don't know how long that will continue.

Hopefully the Cubs can get back to playing 500 baseball and even win some serieses but that's as far as my expectations for this team stretch
This team has been woefully underachieving. It's been documented, analyzed, picked apart, and it seems every sports punit has a different idea about how to make the team "right." The truth is that there are two things this team needs to be more competitive. First, we need D. Lee and A. Ramirez to start hitting. Until they do, it's as though we lost our 2 best hitters from the last several years... which no team can truly absorb~ not the Yankees, Phillies, Cardinals, Red Sox, and certainly not us. If they do not start to hit and do so by the All Star break, Lou can't spin straw into gold... we'll be lucky to end the year at .500 catching a lot of breaks. Second, we need Lou to be more proactive about utilizing our current strengths to build a more workable line-up. Even if it means going wholly unconventional, we need to get Theriot and Fukodome out of the top two slots.... they're killing us with their comined 1-8 (no walks) games. Even if we have to go with Colvin leading off and Fontenot in the 2 hole, it's better than starting at least 2 innings a game with 2 out and nobody on. Lou's got to stop building line-ups with dead bats in critical spots or we're going to be very lucky to win half of our games.

The season isn't lost, but unless Lou's line-up's get more realistic with what's going on and unless Lee/Ramirez start hitting, it will be a very, VERY long 2010 season. We're really no worse off than we were in 2007, and in some ways much better off; however, we need a spark to get this team moving forward. Hopefully Lee and Ramirez can provide it.
"Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods." Albert Einstein
If Lee and Ramirez begin to hit like their career averages and Lou provides better lineups, this team still just does not play fundamentally sound baseball. In addition, the tougher half of the season has yet to begin. We can forget about playoffs this year.

It's interesting that as woeful as they have been playing, the most damning stat is the Cubs record in 1 run games, 9-15. Believe 6 under is the worst in baseball. Recall reading that one of the best determining factor for teams getting into the playoffs is their record in 1 run games. Based on that record, forget about it.

The Cubs fan in me would say but if the Cubs were just 500 in these games - due to say better lineups and Aramis and Lee hitting - the Cubs would have a better than 500 record and could be threatening in a playoff race. Then I return to reality and realize that we should forget about the playoff talk. At least until the Cubs actually win a series this month.
The Cubbies are going all the way Baby!

WeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeHoooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wang.
seriously guys.... its only june 18th.

ifthe cubs are still in third or lower with a record below 500 on August 15th then i will say we are cooked. but give it until at least August 15th before giving up. There have been teams in the past that get hot in the second half and make the playoffs and end up making it to the Series.
<!--quoteo(post=102166:date=Jun 18 2010, 01:31 PM:name=doctorvood)-->QUOTE (doctorvood @ Jun 18 2010, 01:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->seriously guys.... its only june 18th.

ifthe cubs are still in third or lower with a record below 500 on August 15th then i will say we are cooked. but give it until at least August 15th before giving up. There have been teams in the past that get hot in the second half and make the playoffs and end up making it to the Series.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

We haven't even sniffed .500.
Nothing like telling SOI to chill out with your first post. That will go over well.
He's right though. The Cubs are winning this bitch!

Can I get a FUCK YEAH?
Wang.
<!--quoteo(post=102177:date=Jun 18 2010, 02:32 PM:name=veryzer)-->QUOTE (veryzer @ Jun 18 2010, 02:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->He's right though. The Cubs are winning this bitch!

Can I get a FUCK YEAH?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

no.
<!--quoteo(post=102166:date=Jun 18 2010, 01:31 PM:name=doctorvood)-->QUOTE (doctorvood @ Jun 18 2010, 01:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->seriously guys.... its only june 18th.

ifthe cubs are still in third or lower with a record below 500 on August 15th then i will say we are cooked. but give it until at least August 15th before giving up. There have been teams in the past that get hot in the second half and make the playoffs and end up making it to the Series.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I guess I have nothing to worry about then. See you in 2 months.