Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cubs History Books
I'm looking to pick up a couple of Cubs books about the history of the club. I've seen a 'White Sox Encyclopedia' out there that would perfect (if they have one for the Cubs). Anyone know of some good Cubs books? I also wouldn't mind picking up a few memoirs by some of the best players we've had. I've seen one by Fergie that looks good.
#17 Mark Grace for the HOF

I have a book called "The Complete Chicago Cubs." It's sort of an encyclopedia of the team. It was published in 2002, though...so while it has a ton of great stuff in it -- lots of historical and little-known facts, it's obviously missing our "golden years." I'm guessing you can find something better.
<!--quoteo(post=101878:date=Jun 17 2010, 09:47 AM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Jun 17 2010, 09:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I have a book called "The Complete Chicago Cubs." It's sort of an encyclopedia of the team. It was published in 2002, though...so while it has a ton of great stuff in it -- lots of historical and little-known facts, it's obviously missing our "golden years." I'm guessing you can find something better.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thanks! I'll check that out. It's weird that as popular as the Cubs are there aren't more books on the subject. Most that I see are about "the curse" and other crap like that.

<!--quoteo(post=102102:date=Jun 18 2010, 08:22 AM:name=CUB5)-->QUOTE (CUB5 @ Jun 18 2010, 08:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=101878:date=Jun 17 2010, 09:47 AM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Jun 17 2010, 09:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I have a book called "The Complete Chicago Cubs." It's sort of an encyclopedia of the team. It was published in 2002, though...so while it has a ton of great stuff in it -- lots of historical and little-known facts, it's obviously missing our "golden years." I'm guessing you can find something better.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thanks! I'll check that out. It's weird that as popular as the Cubs are there aren't more books on the subject. Most that I see are about "the curse" and other crap like that.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
That's interesting...I'd have thought there'd be a ton of books about the team.
I'd love to read an account of the late 60's-early 70's incarnation (although the reason it hasn't been done is likely because it'd be too frustrating; a team with all-stars at almost every position, a HOF manager, and 3.5 HOF players. No pennants).
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
<!--quoteo(post=102102:date=Jun 18 2010, 08:22 AM:name=CUB5)-->QUOTE (CUB5 @ Jun 18 2010, 08:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=101878:date=Jun 17 2010, 09:47 AM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Jun 17 2010, 09:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I have a book called "The Complete Chicago Cubs." It's sort of an encyclopedia of the team. It was published in 2002, though...so while it has a ton of great stuff in it -- lots of historical and little-known facts, it's obviously missing our "golden years." I'm guessing you can find something better.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I also have that book. It's a little aged now, but it covers just about topic to do with the Cubs.
I got nothin'.

Andy
I looked it up on Amazon and it was updated in 2004. Odd that there isn't a new edition available.

<!--quoteo(post=105066:date=Jul 12 2010, 08:24 AM:name=juli888)-->QUOTE (juli888 @ Jul 12 2010, 08:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Only about encyclopaedias I know, also is in a network wikipedia<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Beat it.
Gene Wojahowssflksdjfls;jf si's book is pretty good. It's about 2004, the year we were supposed to dominate.