Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will anyone on the roster hit 20 homers this season?
We're almost into July -- close to halfway through the season -- and it's possible that we won't have a single player hit 20 homers.

Here are the most likely candidates to break the 20 HR barrier:

- Soriano -- 11
- Lee -- 10
- Colvin -- 10
- Byrd -- 9
- Soto -- 8

How fucking sad and pathetic is this team?
Soriano......maybe.

It is terribly sad though.
Lee and Soriano will hit 20 if they are still with the team.

Doesn't matter as the team is still pathetic.
If he continues to play everyday I could see Colvin possibly hitting 20.
Man, I didn't realize just how bad it was. We're 26th in MLB in hitting (runs scored).
Wrigley is a hitter's park! WTF?

Home runs are down throughout baseball, ...that's not our biggest problem (we actually rank in the upper half of all teams -13th in MLB, 7th in the NL).

Our biggest problem? The usual. In the most important stat, we rank near the bottom of the league; ahead of only San Diego (worst hitter's park in the big leagues), the Pirates (worst professional franchise of the past 2 decades), and the Astros (an Ed Wade-constructed team). Actually, the Astros are gonna probably set some kind of on-base futility record...their entire team OBP is below the Mendoza line for OBP (a stunning .292).

So that's the silver lining...here's the rallying cry that Cub fans can take from the 2010 season:

"At least we're not the Astros!"
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
Colvin's averaging 13.9 ab/hr. If he had the at bats to qualify, that would be tied with Corey Hart for best in the NL. Hart has 18 homers already.

I'm not saying Colvin's going to keep up this ridiculous pace by any means, but there's no reason to think he won't hit 10+ more homers with starter's playing time from here on out.

And each Lee and Soriano will if they're still on the team. But yes, in general it's been quite sad to say the least.
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=103588:date=Jun 29 2010, 04:45 PM:name=KBwsb)-->QUOTE (KBwsb @ Jun 29 2010, 04:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Man, I didn't realize just how bad it was. We're 26th in MLB in hitting (runs scored).
Wrigley is a hitter's park! WTF?

Home runs are down throughout baseball, ...that's not our biggest problem (we actually rank in the upper half of all teams -13th in MLB, 7th in the NL).

Our biggest problem? The usual. In the most important stat, we rank near the bottom of the league; ahead of only San Diego (worst hitter's park in the big leagues), the Pirates (worst professional franchise of the past 2 decades), and the Astros (an Ed Wade-constructed team). Actually, the Astros are gonna probably set some kind of on-base futility record...their entire team OBP is below the Mendoza line for OBP (a stunning .292).

So that's the silver lining...here's the rallying cry that Cub fans can take from the 2010 season:

"At least we're not the Astros!"<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You mean the Astros, the team that has beaten the Cubs 4 out of 6 games so far this season?

Although overall Wrigley is a hitters park, I believe that I've read that the winds have blown in more frequently during home games this season than blown out. With this team it really hasn't made a freakin' difference.
I think Byrd and Soriano will be the only ones to hit 20. Byrd's power has disappeared lately, but a couple of hot streaks will get him back on track. Colvin will probably come close. I'm guessing he'll finish with about 18-22. I don't expect Lee to still be with the team in a few weeks.
Butch,

Way to get Fonzi off his ass a hitting bombs again.

Now can you work on the rest of the mess of a team?
<!--quoteo(post=103621:date=Jun 30 2010, 03:39 AM:name=1060Ivy)-->QUOTE (1060Ivy @ Jun 30 2010, 03:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Butch,

Now can you work on the rest of the mess of a team?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Maybe I should start a thread titled, "Will this team fire off a ridiculous winning streak all the way to the World Series?"
<!--quoteo(post=103636:date=Jun 30 2010, 09:32 AM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Jun 30 2010, 09:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=103621:date=Jun 30 2010, 03:39 AM:name=1060Ivy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (1060Ivy @ Jun 30 2010, 03:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Butch,

Now can you work on the rest of the mess of a team?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Maybe I should start a thread titled, "Will this team fire off a ridiculous winning streak all the way to the World Series?"
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Could you open a "Will jstraw get a blowjob tonight?" thread first?

Thanks.
<!--quoteo(post=103637:date=Jun 30 2010, 09:36 AM:name=jstraw)-->QUOTE (jstraw @ Jun 30 2010, 09:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=103636:date=Jun 30 2010, 09:32 AM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Jun 30 2010, 09:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=103621:date=Jun 30 2010, 03:39 AM:name=1060Ivy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (1060Ivy @ Jun 30 2010, 03:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Butch,

Thanks.
Even my supernatural Internet powers have their limitations.
<!--quoteo(post=103639:date=Jun 30 2010, 09:39 AM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Jun 30 2010, 09:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=103637:date=Jun 30 2010, 09:36 AM:name=jstraw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jstraw @ Jun 30 2010, 09:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=103636:date=Jun 30 2010, 09:32 AM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Jun 30 2010, 09:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=103621:date=Jun 30 2010, 03:39 AM:name=1060Ivy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (1060Ivy @ Jun 30 2010, 03:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Butch,

Thanks.
Even my supernatural Internet powers have their limitations.

Bastard.
<!--quoteo(post=103533:date=Jun 29 2010, 12:08 PM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Jun 29 2010, 12:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->We're almost into July -- close to halfway through the season -- and it's possible that we won't have a single player hit 20 homers.

- Soriano -- 11
- Lee -- 10
- Colvin -- 10
- Byrd -- 9
- Soto -- 8

How fucking sad and pathetic is this team?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think Sorio, Lee and Colvin will hit 20. Isn't it strange though, that only a few years ago Utility guys were hitting 20, and the real bench mark for a slugger was 40. Are we to believe that EVERYONE was using?
<!--quoteo(post=103651:date=Jun 30 2010, 12:31 PM:name=vitaminB)-->QUOTE (vitaminB @ Jun 30 2010, 12:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=103533:date=Jun 29 2010, 12:08 PM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Jun 29 2010, 12:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->We're almost into July -- close to halfway through the season -- and it's possible that we won't have a single player hit 20 homers.

- Soriano -- 11
- Lee -- 10
- Colvin -- 10
- Byrd -- 9
- Soto -- 8

How fucking sad and pathetic is this team?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think Sorio, Lee and Colvin will hit 20. Isn't it strange though, that only a few years ago Utility guys were hitting 20, and the real bench mark for a slugger was 40. Are we to believe that EVERYONE was using?

Yes. I'd honestly guess that 75% used. Especillay the utility and lower level players. There's a huge incentive to earn an MLB salary as oopposed to a Minor League salary. It was such an advantage you'd be left behind if you didn't.