Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Assistant GMs...
Here...there are 30 MLB teams. This means 30 (or more) Assistant GMs, as well as Scouting Directors, Minor League operations people, etc.

But...if we're looking for the next "young gun", it should be pretty easy to get a bio on these guys.

The Twins Asst. GM is Rob Antony. I love the Twins system, and I suppose he could be a candidate...but, he looks more like a back-end detail guy. He's into contract analysis, PR, operations, and communications, as opposed to negotiations, development, and trades.

I'm assuming we want a baseball guy, right?

Rob Antony Interview...
<!--quoteo(post=104305:date=Jul 7 2010, 10:54 AM:name=Rappster)-->QUOTE (Rappster @ Jul 7 2010, 10:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Here...there are 30 MLB teams. This means 30 (or more) Assistant GMs, as well as Scouting Directors, Minor League operations people, etc.

But...if we're looking for the next "young gun", it should be pretty easy to get a bio on these guys.

The Twins Asst. GM is Rob Antony. I love the Twins system, and I suppose he could be a candidate...but, he looks more like a back-end detail guy. He's into contract analysis, PR, operations, and communications, as opposed to negotiations, development, and trades.

Rob Antony Interview...<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think we'd want a baseball guy...but if Ricketts put a director of baseball operations in place, how does that redifine the GM's job description? Or does it?
<!--quoteo(post=104312:date=Jul 7 2010, 11:03 AM:name=jstraw)-->QUOTE (jstraw @ Jul 7 2010, 11:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=104305:date=Jul 7 2010, 10:54 AM:name=Rappster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rappster @ Jul 7 2010, 10:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Here...there are 30 MLB teams. This means 30 (or more) Assistant GMs, as well as Scouting Directors, Minor League operations people, etc.

I think we'd want a baseball guy...but if Ricketts put a director of baseball operations in place, how does that redifine the GM's job description? Or does it?
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
If we hired a true VP/Director of Baseball Operations, then we could go with more of a glorified stats/scouting type person as GM. I'd be fine with that, as long as the roles are defined and they collaborate well on the big picture issues. Heck, we could even promote from within in that scenario, but I'd still prefer an outsider with a fresh perspective.
<!--quoteo(post=104315:date=Jul 7 2010, 11:07 AM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Jul 7 2010, 11:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=104312:date=Jul 7 2010, 11:03 AM:name=jstraw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jstraw @ Jul 7 2010, 11:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=104305:date=Jul 7 2010, 10:54 AM:name=Rappster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rappster @ Jul 7 2010, 10:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Here...there are 30 MLB teams. This means 30 (or more) Assistant GMs, as well as Scouting Directors, Minor League operations people, etc.

If we hired a true VP/Director of Baseball Operations, then we could go with more of a glorified stats/scouting type person as GM. I'd be fine with that, as long as the roles are defined and they collaborate well. Heck, we could even promote from within, but I'd still prefer an outsider with a fresh perspective.

OK...I know I'm using the Twins as a model, a lot...but, they're close to home and pretty well-respected from an operational standpoint.

The current GM is Bill Smith...he was Ryan's deputy. Ryan was a scout at heart, but Smith is more an operations and finance guy. Their baseball direction must be coming from somewhere else.

His moves...he traded Johan Santana, Matt Garza, Jason Bartlett, and re-signed Joe Mauer. All big risks, but he's played by their rules, and it has paid off thus far.

Can we do it the same way? Do we need to?
Since the other thread is just a bunch of arguing over nothing, I'll repost here. I know he's not officially considered an Assistant GM, but he's the Brave's Director of Baseball Administration.

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->I kinda like John Coppolella from the Braves. He's worked with both the Yankees and Braves, so he's seen both the deep-pockets and growth from within models. He's currently in charge of the Braves' statistics and arbitration. So he's a numbers guy, but he also worked as a scout under the Yankees.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I got nothin'.

Andy
<!--quoteo(post=104329:date=Jul 7 2010, 12:05 PM:name=Andy)-->QUOTE (Andy @ Jul 7 2010, 12:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Since the other thread is just a bunch of arguing over nothing, I'll repost here. I know he's not officially considered an Assistant GM, but he's the Brave's Director of Baseball Administration.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->I kinda like John Coppolella from the Braves. He's worked with both the Yankees and Braves, so he's seen both the deep-pockets and growth from within models. He's currently in charge of the Braves' statistics and arbitration. So he's a numbers guy, but he also worked as a scout under the Yankees.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Good stuff, Andy...is this the kind of guy we would want?

I guess we'd also need to know his interpersonal intangibles...