Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
White Sox trying hard to get Adam Dunn
<!--quoteo(post=106830:date=Jul 21 2010, 09:23 AM:name=BT)-->QUOTE (BT @ Jul 21 2010, 09:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=106767:date=Jul 21 2010, 04:19 AM:name=cherp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cherp @ Jul 21 2010, 04:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=106587:date=Jul 20 2010, 04:07 PM:name=funkster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (funkster @ Jul 20 2010, 04:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->They have absolutely nothing in their minor league system to give up for him...with the exception of the kid they took this year.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You think they'd rather have two draft picks than Hudson and Flowers?
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hudson may or may not be a solid prospect (I doubt he is in anyone's mlb top 50 right now). Flowers has been pretty bad this year.

Do you think that is the best offer anyone would give them for Dunn?

Further, do you think Kenny makes that deal?

The Sox have exactly one and a half prospects worth anything. Hudson is on the major league squad filling in for Peavy. Morel might interest someone. After that, not so much. Danks is being compared with Sam Fuld right now, Flowers can't hit, and I can't even think of anyone else worth mentioning. Is Viciedo a prospect?

Agreed on Danks...might be more than Fuld - but not more than a B prospect at this point. Jared Mitchel was going to be a player - but his knee injury puts his value close to zero. Agreed on the rest of the system. Viciedo has potential - but he is without a position. He looks like a potentially very good hitter....just no idea where he can play. 3B is not the answer. Not sure about OF or 1B.

Hudson projects to the middle of most rotations....that's ok. I'd agree - he's not a top 50.

You are probably right on Flowers. His D has improved - but he's still a below average defensive catcher. He's slugging .475 in Charlotte - which is ok. It's just his average is low (.228) and would project to be inadequate at the major league level today.

So three questions remain...

Is this better than what Rizzo would get offered?

Is this better than taking compensation picks?

Would KW do it?

I think the first one is a definite maybe. I don't think we know. Right now, I haven't heard that there are offers out there that he has declined....but of course we see only a small piece of information.

I think the answer is yes to the second one. A middle first to middle second plus a compensation pick has a very high chance of being 2 busts. Hudson, at worst, looks like he will make the back of a rotation much stronger.

The third one...that's tricky. KW is a gambler. He's always proven willing to trade prospects for a chance to go at it. And the team is missing a big LH thumper and a full time DH. If Peavy didn't go down, then this deal would make even more sense - before Hudson was needed to hold down the #5 spot. Carlos Torres would be a major risk as a #5 if a team wants to contend - and if they go ahead and trade Hudson, I can't see having enough remaining bullets in the gun to get a Lilly type pitcher in the middle of the rotation behind Buehlre/Danks/Floyd.

So BT, in short, I have no fricking clue...
<!--quoteo(post=106837:date=Jul 21 2010, 09:39 AM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Jul 21 2010, 09:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->They have a 3.5 game lead. The Tigers have lost 7 in a row and the Twins (despite taking 3 of 4 from the Sox) haven't been playing well lately. They're going to <b>coast </b>into the playoffs. Once again, I'm in hell.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't see that Butch...None of these teams are good enough to coast anywhere. The Sox are one injury to Konerko/CarlosQ/Rios away from completely sucking offensively again.

They have been hot for a month or so - but I sure they won't play like this the rest of the way. The question is how much the rest of the teams in the division play well or shitty.

I think this will be a 3 horse race, all limping to the finish line, only to get plastered by the Yanks. Winning the Central or the West in the AL is a cruel fate - because it means you are most likely to get slapped down by one of the two Evil Empires of the 200mm+ payroll type. Sure - it's better than not making the playoffs, and anything can happen in a short series, but that's betting on luck...
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the White Sox are "trying to accelerate talks" for the Brewers' Prince Fielder.
The major hurdle, according to Rosenthal, is that the Brewers want pitching in return and only view Daniel Hudson as a future No. 3 or No. 4 starter. The 23-year-old right-hander is impressive, but he's hardly an ideal centerpiece for a player of Fielder's caliber.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

There's a head scratcher. If they don't have enough to get Dunn...
<!--quoteo(post=106964:date=Jul 21 2010, 01:43 PM:name=ColoradoCub)-->QUOTE (ColoradoCub @ Jul 21 2010, 01:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the White Sox are "trying to accelerate talks" for the Brewers' Prince Fielder.
The major hurdle, according to Rosenthal, is that the Brewers want pitching in return and only view Daniel Hudson as a future No. 3 or No. 4 starter. The 23-year-old right-hander is impressive, but he's hardly an ideal centerpiece for a player of Fielder's caliber.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I am guessing they think Rizzo is overvaluing Dunn and are looking to what Mil wants back. I'd agree that Hudson is a #2-#4, somewhere in that zone, and clearly not a #1. Can they get a #1 from someone? Teams with lock #1s who are not yet arb elig. don't trade them often.

Williams has always been willing to trade prospects for the present. I just don't know if Rizzo or the Brewers are ready to take what the Sox have to offer.
No way they get Fielder. Sounds like their typical PR push.
<!--quoteo(post=106964:date=Jul 21 2010, 01:43 PM:name=ColoradoCub)-->QUOTE (ColoradoCub @ Jul 21 2010, 01:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the White Sox are "trying to accelerate talks" for the Brewers' Prince Fielder.

If they get Fielder, they are World Series contenders. But I can't imagine what they could give the Brewers for TWO years of Fielder.
I wish that I believed in Fate. I wish I didn't sleep so late. I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders.
<!--quoteo(post=106965:date=Jul 21 2010, 01:48 PM:name=cherp)-->QUOTE (cherp @ Jul 21 2010, 01:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=106964:date=Jul 21 2010, 01:43 PM:name=ColoradoCub)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ColoradoCub @ Jul 21 2010, 01:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the White Sox are "trying to accelerate talks" for the Brewers' Prince Fielder.

I am guessing they think Rizzo is overvaluing Dunn and are looking to what Mil wants back. I'd agree that Hudson is a #2-#4, somewhere in that zone, and clearly not a #1. Can they get a #1 from someone? Teams with lock #1s who are not yet arb elig. don't trade them often.

Williams has always been willing to trade prospects for the present. I just don't know if Rizzo or the Brewers are ready to take what the Sox have to offer.

I'd be hard pressed to take Hudson for Lilly. In the end, I'd probably do it, but it wouldn't be a slam dunk. So I don't see how he could be the centerpiece for any deal.

Now if the Sox are willing to part with Beckham and/or Quentin, you might have a fit.
I wish that I believed in Fate. I wish I didn't sleep so late. I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders.
<!--quoteo(post=106969:date=Jul 21 2010, 01:53 PM:name=BT)-->QUOTE (BT @ Jul 21 2010, 01:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=106965:date=Jul 21 2010, 01:48 PM:name=cherp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cherp @ Jul 21 2010, 01:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=106964:date=Jul 21 2010, 01:43 PM:name=ColoradoCub)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ColoradoCub @ Jul 21 2010, 01:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the White Sox are "trying to accelerate talks" for the Brewers' Prince Fielder.

I'd be hard pressed to take Hudson for Lilly. In the end, I'd probably do it, but it wouldn't be a slam dunk. So I don't see how he could be the centerpiece for any deal.

Now if the Sox are willing to part with Beckham and/or Quentin, you might have a fit.

Why would the Cubs want to trade Lilly for Hudson? I guess the answer is assuming they see him as a #3/#4, they might be better off with the draft pick compensation. If they see him as a #2/#3, then they might be better off taking him...it's a thin hair to shave - so I guess it depends on the organizations' scouts' opinions of Daniel.

Another issue at play, at least with Washington, is that they have spent a lot of money on their last 2 #1s and have guys who are going to be stars. Do they want more draft picks or do they want some guys who are a bit closer? They don't need Flowers (just remembered who they drafted this year) I think they need OFs. The Sox farm is not loaded with good OF prospects...

and if they trade Beckham or Quentin, then they create a big hole elsewhere... I don't see them doing that. In fact, I am guessing both of those guys are as close to untouchable as KW has...

I'm guessing the Sox don't get one of these guys - but it won't be for a lack of effort on KWs part. It will be because teams decide they are better off with draft pick compensation than with Sox prospects. In the case of Fielder, it may depend on how much the Brewers value getting out from under what is going to be a very big arbitration award this year and even bigger next year vs how they value his performance vs the value they put on a Sox package of Viciedo/Hudson + maybe some detritus.

Another name that might interest teams is Sergio Santos. For those who don't know, he's a converted IF who is now a reliever. He's pitched at the major league level this year - very effectively. The Sox would probably want someone to send back a serviceable veteran reliever, but Santos easily could be someone's target as a future closer. In fact, if the Sox non-tender or trade Jenks this offseason, either he or Putz probably end up closing. (Thornton is so good as the lefty....) Lots of teams could use a guy like Santos...

The other name you may hear is Morel. He's a good fielding 3B who may grow into power. He'd be useful also - but not a centerpiece for a Dunn/Fielder unless those teams decide they would rather not play the draft crapshoot...(and would rather the prospect crapshoot)