Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First Cubs Game Live
Hello guys!

So I'm currently on vacation with family in Colorado, about two hours out of Denver and this weekend I'm going to go and see my first ever Chicago Cubs game live in the flesh at Coors Field (yes, I planned the whole trip so that I could go...)! I can't tell you how excited I am, although with this year's Cubs that excitement isn't strictly tied to watching our team win!

So, any tips for the live experience apart from averting my gaze when Ryan Theriot is at the plate (700 at bats ffs!!) or preparing myself for a late inning pitching collapse? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img]

I'll be sitting behind the Rockies dugout with a good friend of mine (also a Cubs fan) so should have a great view and plan on going to the Sunday game as well... Cannot wait!!!

What was your first game and do you remember it?
First game was in 95 or 96 at Dodger Stadium, sitting in the bleachers and Brett Butler robbed a homer.

Anyways, get there early to take it all in. Coors Field is awesome, and they have a couple bars on site where you can get a Guinness and absorb it all. At Coors you can walk all the way around, so during batting practice I would walk around whilst the Cubs are hitting and see if you can either get close if there are any players signing, or try to get a ball off the crack of the bat.

Enjoy it, have fun and keep us posted!
I hate my pretentious sounding username too.
<!--quoteo(post=108256:date=Jul 27 2010, 02:42 PM:name=CountRushmore)-->QUOTE (CountRushmore @ Jul 27 2010, 02:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Hello guys!

So I'm currently on vacation with family in Colorado, about two hours out of Denver and this weekend I'm going to go and see my first ever Chicago Cubs game live in the flesh at Coors Field (yes, I planned the whole trip so that I could go...)! I can't tell you how excited I am, although with this year's Cubs that excitement isn't strictly tied to watching our team win!

So, any tips for the live experience apart from averting my gaze when Ryan Theriot is at the plate (700 at bats ffs!!) or preparing myself for a late inning pitching collapse? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img]

I'll be sitting behind the Rockies dugout with a good friend of mine (also a Cubs fan) so should have a great view and plan on going to the Sunday game as well... Cannot wait!!!

What was your first game and do you remember it?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Drink really hard.
Have a good time, mate.
My first Cubs game was at Wrigley -- I'm sure of that -- but a lot of the first dozen or so games I went to all sort of blend together in my head. I probably went to 20 games or more by the time I was eight years old. I distinctly remember getting a free Cubs shirt with a Thorn Apple Valley logo on the back as one of the giveaways. I loved that shirt and probably wore it twice a week that summer. I remember sitting in the bleachers with my friends and wondering why there were corn husks all over the ground (I'm still unsure why there were all those corn husks). One game we went to, my brother and I were there for batting practice and sitting right next to the entrance to the Cubs' dugout. Lee Smith was on his way back off the field and my brother and I were screaming to get his autograph. He smiled and gave my brother a broken bat. It was Keith Moreland's. That was pretty much the most awesome thing that ever happened to us. I remember trying to go to as many games as possible in September in 1982 when Buckner was trying to get his 200th hit (which was hard with, you know, school). I saw hit 197th or 198th or something around there. I videotaped every game when he got close to 200. He eventually got it against the Cardinals. I watched that game on video so many times that I literally had every word Harry and Steve spoke memorized. I went to Game 1 of the NLCS against the Padres in 1984. After that game, I was certain the Cubs were going to win it all. That year was the first of many times the Cubs brought tears to my eyes.
My first game was in 1984. I was 6 so I remember it ok. What I definitely remember is when the lineups were announced, Ryno had the day off, being my favorite player I cried like a little girl and pouted like a brat. Ha. But I did get some cool little bat and a hat as a souvenir, so that was fun. But go figure, my first game and my favorite player isn't playing. Ahhh the luck.

As for advise, definitely get there early. I have never been to coors but I hear it is very fan friendly and a great place to catch a game. Defintiely enjoy it. If you have never been to a game and are sitting that close, you will be blown away man.
Dylan McKay is my hero
Coors Field has some weird rules regarding when you can enter the stadium and at which gate. I went out there last year and we were there early and eventually were let in at a gate, only to find out that we could only walk around the bleachers while batting practice was going on and the rest of the concourse was off limits for an amount of time. I thought it was kind of stupid and didn't really understand it.

Pretty cool stadium otherwise though.
Some awesome responses - cool reading! This isn't actually my visit to Coors Field. I saw the Diamondbacks defeat the Rockies two years ago off a gem from Randy Johnson (who even had a hit!).

Not sure I'm going to be able sleep tonight (especially with the non-contest that's happening now). Have also managed to secure tickets for the Sunday game too [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]
<!--quoteo(post=108982:date=Jul 31 2010, 12:05 AM:name=CountRushmore)-->QUOTE (CountRushmore @ Jul 31 2010, 12:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Some awesome responses - cool reading! This isn't actually my visit to Coors Field. I saw the Diamondbacks defeat the Rockies two years ago off a gem from Randy Johnson (who even had a hit!).

Not sure I'm going to be able sleep tonight (especially with the non-contest that's happening now). Have also managed to secure tickets for the Sunday game too [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Glad to know that you aren't at this fiasco.
One dick can poke an eye out. A hundred dicks can move mountains.
--Veryzer

Wow. Just when you think they can't sink any lower.