Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Odds to be traded
Yeah, I'm totally fine with this.

Our team baseball IQ just went up 20 points.
So, are we done now? Strange that guys like Nady or Fontenot were never brought up in any rumors recently, even just as pure salary dumps. Then again, we can always do waiver deals in August.
Kerry Wood to the Yankees...
Baseball America's Review

The more I read about it, the more I like the deal. Smit's struggled in his career, but it's his first year as a reliever, which could be the difference in his success. Wallach's walks are up there, but 92 K's in 85 IP is nice. And DeWitt is a younger, better fielding Fontenot. I think it's a good return for Lilly and Theriot.
The thing you need to remember is that all Cardinals fans and all White Sox fans are very bad people. It's a fact that has been scientifically proven beyond a shadow of a doubt. Being a Cubs fan is the only path to rightousness and piousness. Cardinal and White Sox fans exist to be the dark, diabolical forces that oppose us. They are the yin to our yang, the Joker to our Batman, the demon to our angel, the insurgence to our freedom, the oil to our water, the club to our baby seal. Their happiness occurs only in direct conflict with everything that is pure and good in this world.
-Dirk
<!--quoteo(post=109053:date=Jul 31 2010, 01:32 PM:name=Kid)-->QUOTE (Kid @ Jul 31 2010, 01:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Can you imagine how happy Ruby will be when he hears?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I love the deal. DeWitt can play 2B, but is better at 3B. It gives the Cubs the opportunity to have an actual backup at 3B if Ramirez gets hurt again. It also allows them the possibility to try to deal ARam or possibly move him to 1B (if that's a possibility). Theriot is a douchnozzle and a piss poor baseball player. The fact that there's a bunch of know-nothing Cubs fans stuck with Theriot jerseys makes me happy. The pitching prospects are just that, we'll see if they pan out. However, I think it's a pretty decent haul for 2 months of Lilly and a dump of a shitty MI that wasn't gonna be offered arbitration anyway.
<!--quoteo(post=109078:date=Jul 31 2010, 03:18 PM:name=ruby23)-->QUOTE (ruby23 @ Jul 31 2010, 03:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=109053:date=Jul 31 2010, 01:32 PM:name=Kid)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kid @ Jul 31 2010, 01:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Can you imagine how happy Ruby will be when he hears?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I love the deal. DeWitt can play 2B, but is better at 3B. It gives the Cubs the opportunity to have an actual backup at 3B if Ramirez gets hurt again. It also allows them the possibility to try to deal ARam or possibly move him to 1B (if that's a possibility). Theriot is a douchnozzle and a piss poor baseball player. The fact that there's a bunch of know-nothing Cubs fans stuck with Theriot jerseys makes me happy. The pitching prospects are just that, we'll see if they pan out. However, I think it's a pretty decent haul for 2 months of Lilly and a dump of a shitty MI that wasn't gonna be offered arbitration anyway.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If the Cubs have DeWitt at 3rd base for significant time, the offense will be seriously lacking in power.
I like the reports I'm hearing on Wallach. Seems like he might be a solid pick up. I also like Ruby's use of douchnozzle.
Sigh...
http://espn.go.com/blog/chicagocubs/post/_...th-cubs-pickups
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->According to major league sources, Hendry and the Cubs were close to trading Mike Fontenot and Xavier Nady at the deadline, but that deal was never consummated.

“We had dialogues with quite a few clubs the last few days,” Hendry said. “There were all different kinds of deals. But I can’t say for certain how close things might have been today. Sometimes the deals that we were close an hour or two before the deadline are done in August.”<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
<!--quoteo(post=109089:date=Jul 31 2010, 04:01 PM:name=Scarey)-->QUOTE (Scarey @ Jul 31 2010, 04:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=109078:date=Jul 31 2010, 03:18 PM:name=ruby23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ruby23 @ Jul 31 2010, 03:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=109053:date=Jul 31 2010, 01:32 PM:name=Kid)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kid @ Jul 31 2010, 01:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Can you imagine how happy Ruby will be when he hears?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If the Cubs have DeWitt at 3rd base for significant time, the offense will be seriously lacking in power.

I was looking at his minor league numbers and yeah he isn't a power hitter but he had a decent SLG in the minors. Maybe it will improve with time - he hasn't turned 25 yet.
<!--quoteo(post=109106:date=Jul 31 2010, 05:49 PM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Jul 31 2010, 05:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Sigh...
<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->According to major league sources, Hendry and the Cubs were close to trading Mike Fontenot and Xavier Nady at the deadline, but that deal was never consummated.

“We had dialogues with quite a few clubs the last few days,” Hendry said. “There were all different kinds of deals. But I can’t say for certain how close things might have been today. Sometimes the deals that we were close an hour or two before the deadline are done in August.”<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
There will be more trades. I would expect those 2, maybe Baker, and possibly Fukudome could still be dealt. An injury to a SP on a team in contention and Silva could be looked at as a stopgap too. I suspect more things happen in the coming 2 weeks.
<!--quoteo(post=109125:date=Jul 31 2010, 07:00 PM:name=ruby23)-->QUOTE (ruby23 @ Jul 31 2010, 07:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=109106:date=Jul 31 2010, 05:49 PM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Jul 31 2010, 05:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Sigh...
<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->According to major league sources, Hendry and the Cubs were close to trading Mike Fontenot and Xavier Nady at the deadline, but that deal was never consummated.

There will be more trades. I would expect those 2, maybe Baker, and possibly Fukudome could still be dealt. An injury to a SP on a team in contention and Silva could be looked at as a stopgap too. I suspect more things happen in the coming 2 weeks.
Yeah, all of those things could happen. Playoff teams usually address their bench last anyway, so we have some nice pieces in that regard.

I'm just really impatient.
And if there is any chance that any dumb team is willing to take Fukhead off of our hands, we'd better make it happen. He is atrocious.
<!--quoteo(post=109141:date=Jul 31 2010, 09:09 PM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Jul 31 2010, 09:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->And if there is any chance that any dumb team is willing to take Fukhead off of our hands, we'd better make it happen. He is atrocious.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You're atrocious.
<!--quoteo(post=109143:date=Jul 31 2010, 09:17 PM:name=Rappster)-->QUOTE (Rappster @ Jul 31 2010, 09:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=109141:date=Jul 31 2010, 09:09 PM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Jul 31 2010, 09:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->And if there is any chance that any dumb team is willing to take Fukhead off of our hands, we'd better make it happen. He is atrocious.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You're atrocious.
Then I know what I'm talking about.
<!--quoteo(post=109148:date=Jul 31 2010, 09:27 PM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Jul 31 2010, 09:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=109143:date=Jul 31 2010, 09:17 PM:name=Rappster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rappster @ Jul 31 2010, 09:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=109141:date=Jul 31 2010, 09:09 PM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Jul 31 2010, 09:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->And if there is any chance that any dumb team is willing to take Fukhead off of our hands, we'd better make it happen. He is atrocious.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You're atrocious.
Then I know what I'm talking about.

Don't try to make friends with me...