• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2022 Team
Because why not?

Here are some free agents I hope the Cubs would consider pursuing:

- Trevor Story

- Corey Seager

- Carlos Correa

- Javy

They need a shortstop. Madrigal/Hoerner ain't it. Get one of those 4 guys listed.

It might be interesting to go after Castellanos or bring Schwarber back, but they're both 29 and this team isn't going to be good for a bit.

There's zero starting pitching out there that I'd be coveting. All of the good pitchers on the free agent market are going to be old as fuck.

Rebuilding this team through free agency isn't going to happen; there isn't a quick fix for this problem. It's probably going to be 2024 or 2025 at least before this team is fun to watch again...

Not going to happen, but Correa sure would be a fun signing.

The thing is, Story and Javy will both be 29 too very soon. So one could argue for not going after them the same as Castellanos or Schwarber (though at SS their value is obviously greater). On the other hand, with so much money off the books, it seems weird not to rebuild through free agency because you're waiting on a now fine but still not great farm system to field you a team. It's a tough spot to be in.

We aren't signing anyone with a QO attached, so that narrows the list down to maybe 1? And I won't say who that is.
And without 2 - 3 quality starters its not going to matter for 2023 nor 2024

My hope is they rebuild the outfield, pick up a middle infielder and a great starter this season and then continue rebuild into next offseason

My guess is for free agent acquisitions this season: one corner outfielder in Joc Pederson mold, a strong SS, a utility infielder and 4 reclamation project starters while management blames the late signing of CBA for not being more aggressive and signing other more talented free agents.

Dont worry fans - payroll flexibility will be maintained and powder will be dry to acquire during the season

Im really excited to go into neighborhood bars and brag about Cubs payroll flexibility for next 2-3 seasons as all fans know payroll flexibility is really more important than winning baseball or a talented roster
Quote:And without 2 - 3 quality starters its not going to matter for 2023 nor 2024

My hope is they rebuild the outfield, pick up a middle infielder and a great starter this season and then continue rebuild into next offseason

My guess is for free agent acquisitions this season: one corner outfielder in Joc Pederson mold, a strong SS, a utility infielder and 4 reclamation project starters while management blames the late signing of CBA for not being more aggressive and signing other more talented free agents.

Dont worry fans - payroll flexibility will be maintained and powder will be dry to acquire during the season

Im really excited to go into neighborhood bars and brag about Cubs payroll flexibility for next 2-3 seasons as all fans know payroll flexibility is really more important than winning baseball or a talented roster
Did you renew those season tickets?
Might keep the 2 bleachers but unless they are willing to cut prices by 65% not the Catalina Club - those were amazing seats and a good club
Lol sucker!

Not surprised to see all finalists coming from small market teams with player development backgrounds.

Quote:Cubs president Jed Hoyer is narrowing his search for a new general manager, focusing on candidates with a strong history in player development. A decision could come after the divisional round of the playoffs. Per The Athletics Sahadev Sharma and Patrick Mooney, among the final candidates are Carlos Rodriguez of the Rays, Carter Hawkins and James Harris of Cleveland, and Jeremy Zoll of the Twins. There may be other candidates, but these four at least are in the running.

Hawkins and Harris both have a hand in building Clevelands successful farm system and pitching development team. Hawkins began as an advanced scouting intern back in 2008, elevating to AGM before the 2017 season. Harris is Clevelands vice president of player development. Harris actually comes from football, having worked as Chip Kellys Chief of Staff when he was head coach of the Eagles.

Zoll is an assistant general manager in Minnesota, focusing on minor league operations. He is a Harvard alum who also worked with the Dodgers and Angels. Exposure to multiple franchises and differing ways of evaluating the game should be a boon to Zolls resume. Being a part of Minnesotas homegrown approach to team-building is also likely viewed as an asset for a Cubs team looking to create a better development engine than theyve had in recent years under Theo Epsteins reign.

As for Martinez, its not surprising to see the Cubs explore poaching a Rays executive. The Rays have proven adept at building a farm system that should keep Tampa competitive for years to come. Former Rays executives hold top positions in Los Angeles, Boston, and Houston, and theyve proven successful both in and outside of Tampa Bay. Martinez is their vice president of player development and international scouting.
Hoyer has already hinted that the purse strings will be tighter than expected and will be making more strategic signings. I'm expecting a long rebuild.

Any free agents out there, I don't expect us to sign anyone with any qualifying offers. I just see that they wouldn't want to potentially lose that draft pick in a multi-year rebuild phase. That said, our biggest weakness is pitching, its fucking terrible.

I can actually see the Cubs making a run at someone like Stroman. Won't cost a draft pick and a workhorse type pitcher.

Gausman has probably priced himself out of our range.

Synderguaard could be interesting if the Mets don't make an offer, but I can't see them not doing it. Injuries are a concern, but he did look good those last couple of outings.

Wade Miley is someone unfortunately I can see the Cubs going for. Or someone like that - cheaper player that'll pitch innings but have average stats.

I would love the Cubs to make a run at Bryant. He is my favourite player but it sounds like there is some bad blood hidden under the surface by him. With the way he talks about the Giants, he is a lock to stay there.

Honestly I would like to see the Cubs make a play for Trevor Story. He expressed a desire to play at Wrigley. But with what I expect from head office I just don't see them coughing up the money to sign a player of his calibre that will attract big dollars.

Outfield is another hole. Castellanos would be absolute ideal, however I another player that'll command big money. I could see them however making a play at someone like Starling Marte - speedy top of the order hitter, probably past his prime and be terrible playing for us but an all-star facing us. 

I'm kind of concerned that Jed will avoid even the mid-tier of the FA market and go the trade route instead to save money. I'm totally fine with trades for longer-term assets, especially if you're acquiring a large contract plus prospects from small market teams looking to shed payroll. That said, if we are just trading for short-term assets just to avoid longer-term commitments, then that is inexcusable.
Forget QAs and draft picks and sign Stroman, Syndergaard, Ray, and Gausman, along with Story, Castellanos and Schwarber. Add the DH to the NL and then bring back Rizzo to hold down 1st and Bryant to be 3B/your super utility man.  Jeez, it's pretty simple guys.

They really should make you GM.

No Javy?! Fire GM Sheps!
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." - George Carlin 

"That was some of the saddest stuff I've ever read. Fuck cancer and AIDS, ignorance is the scourge of the land." - tom v

Well, see, I was just trying to keep it realistic. B)