Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jon Lester -- Hall of Famer?
Now that he's retired, what do you think? Based on his numbers, it looks like he just misses. But when you factor in his ridiculous postseason record and what he did for two storied franchises (plus the fact that he always seemed to elevate his performance when in a big game), I think you can make a case.

Also, a lot of the metrics by which we used to measure pitching performance has gone out the window. Not many pitchers are going to accumulate 200 wins after this group of 30-somethings retire. And nobody is ever going to even approach 300 wins again.

Obviously I have a heavy bias, but I'd put him in.

No way in hell am I going to be objective regarding Lester - and the free beer he purchased for me and another 1,000 or so fans last year is going to add to my partiality.

3 World Series for 2 historic franchises, great playoff performances, old school pitcher who showed up - despite the beer and fried chicken incident - who will require a few rounds but gets into the Hall
I dont think he'll get in to be honest.

Most likely not, but I could see him getting in via the Veterans' Committee one day. I think his peers respect him way more than the baseball writers do. Too bad he had to retire with the Cardinals.

Mixed feelings on this. Titles in both Boston and Chicago mean a lot, and his playoff numbers are great. On the flip side, as a Cubs fan it has bugged when our guys get overlooked or downplayed in favor of Yankees and other players from clubs that won a lot because of what their guys did in the post season, if that make sense. 

Quote:Most likely not, but I could see him getting in via the Veterans' Committee one day. I think his peers respect him way more than the baseball writers do. 

Yeah, not the first go around, it's going to take time to drop these fixed ideas about what numbers a pitcher should have. One day though...hopefully. 

On another completely irrelevant note---thanks Jon for never letting us know if you voted for Trump. Keep it up, I really want to always love you. 

(smiley face)

Love me some Johnny Lester but he isnt Hall of Fame worthy to be honest.