Sons of Ivy
2024 Cubs - Printable Version

+- Sons of Ivy (https://sonsofivy.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Chicago Cubs (https://sonsofivy.com/forum/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: The Friendly Confines (https://sonsofivy.com/forum/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: 2024 Cubs (/thread-8469.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

RE: 2024 Cubs - Butcher - 01-24-2024

Even if they add Bellinger, right now this team looks worse than the team that finished the 2023 season. Candelario is gone. Stroman is gone. Who knows what we have with the Dodgers prospect we got. And if they don't add Bellinger, this team might finish below .500. At this point, adding Chapman or Bellinger is almost a must unless there's a trade Hoyer has up his sleeve. Also need some bullpen pieces. Again...there's obviously plenty of time and Hoyer has shown that he's incredibly patient. So we'll see.

2024 Cubs - Willbaseball - 01-25-2024

(01-24-2024, 04:58 PM)Butcher Wrote: Even if they add Bellinger, right now this team looks worse than the team that finished the 2023 season. Candelario is gone. Stroman is gone. Who knows what we have with the Dodgers prospect we got. And if they don't add Bellinger, this team might finish below .500. At this point, adding Chapman or Bellinger is almost a must unless there's a trade Hoyer has up his sleeve. Also need some bullpen pieces. Again...there's obviously plenty of time and Hoyer has shown that he's incredibly patient. So we'll see.

This feels like Kris Bryant again. I didn’t want him to leave but turned out great!

And Hoyers patience has maybe outlasted me - I don’t even know if i want bellinger at the price he will obviously cost seeing as he’s still a free agent.

The plan is looking like the cupboard of prospects? Hopefully they prove my thoughts wrong.

A trade would be awesome. I’ll take… Devers? Second half of HOF career Mike Trout and give up a lot for him? Jose Ram (no trade clause actually) and Bieber? Idk. It’s not hard to get excited, just do something excitable instead of banking on percentage points above average while charging for the greatest show on earth.

RE: 2024 Cubs - Butcher - 01-27-2024

Neris — nice pickup.

RE: 2024 Cubs - mrfelina - 01-27-2024

Wonder if he becomes the closer or if Alzolay sticks there.

RE: 2024 Cubs - MrSheps - 01-29-2024

I'm guessing they'll keep Alzolay the closer, Neris as set-up. But good insurance if Alzolay falters.

If the Cubs could somehow add both Belli and Chapman, it'll be a pretty impressive off-season. If they get one of the two, (and the deal(s) are decent, which they will be because Jed never seems willing to overpay) it'll be a fine off-season. If no other bats similar to them or better come in a trade or signing, we're going to really need a prospect or two to hit to score runs.

RE: 2024 Cubs - Butcher - 01-29-2024

IIRC, the team's offense wasn't the issue last season. I think the Cubs finished 8th overall in runs scored, believe it or not. So getting Belli back, and getting anything better than replacement-level at 1B would actually be pretty solid. There are still a lot of questions marks across the board, though.

RE: 2024 Cubs - 1060Ivy - 01-29-2024

Cubs offense last year was strong enough for a playoff team on the cusp.

Agreed that first base was an offensive black hole for last year but Cubs had great production from a couple players that Cubs should not count on recurring in 2024 from Gomes and Tauchman. In addition, Candelario had a ridiculous month for Cubs

Without Bellinger, Cubs lose their top offensive threat - best defensive player and clubhouse leader.

Assuming Belli returns, Cubs will likely rely on same players at 3rd base and a prospect at 1st and hope that Tauchman and Gomes can continue to have near career years

RE: 2024 Cubs - funkster - 01-29-2024

I'm not particularly interested in signing Chapman.

RE: 2024 Cubs - Butcher - 01-30-2024

(01-29-2024, 09:17 PM)funkster Wrote: I'm not particularly interested in signing Chapman.

I'm not either. His bat doesn't excite me at all, but at least you get elite defense from him. Getting another LH bat would be great.

RE: 2024 Cubs - 1060Ivy - 01-30-2024

What’s frustrating is that Jed was likely aware that Boras would play his usual waiting game to sign his clients so either he decided that Boras’ players were the best options for improving this roster rather than additional trades or other free agents.

If that’s the case, Jed should have better communicated to fans that roster would likely be slowly developing and not be complete till spring training.

As Butch has noted even with Belli, the roster has not improved over the roster at end of last season which still missed the playoffs

2024 Cubs - rok - 01-30-2024

I don’t think it’s Jed’s job (or in his best interest) to telegraph his activities (or lack thereof) to the fans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: 2024 Cubs - 1060Ivy - 01-30-2024

Not saying telegraph set of offseason plans but if Rickets wants to sell more tix it helps to provide communications to manage fans expectations

RE: 2024 Cubs - MrSheps - 01-30-2024

Jed did have that quote about the off-season being the "4th or 5th inning" back at the convention, so he did at least communicate that he wasn't done after getting Imanaga and Busch and there was plenty left to do/time to go. This happened a few seasons back as a I recall, lots of guys not signed and there was talk of a spring training being set up for them by their agents. Maybe we're in for that again.

RE: 2024 Cubs - funkster - 02-02-2024

Cubs with the number 4 farm system according to BA.

Cubs adjacent, looks like Theo is now part of the Red Sox ownership group.

RE: 2024 Cubs - Butcher - 02-02-2024

Number 4 system is impressive. It seems like the farm is better balanced with pitching and position player prospects -- way more than it used to be. Still not sure there are any "can't miss" prospects in the system, but hopefully we can get a handful of these guys developed (or traded for proven talent)...