Sons of Ivy
2024 Cubs - Printable Version

+- Sons of Ivy (https://sonsofivy.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Chicago Cubs (https://sonsofivy.com/forum/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: The Friendly Confines (https://sonsofivy.com/forum/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: 2024 Cubs (/thread-8469.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

RE: 2024 Cubs - mrfelina - 01-14-2024

To me, it sort of feels like the Giants are going to bring out the Brinks truck for him.

RE: 2024 Cubs - Butcher - 01-14-2024

(01-14-2024, 03:44 PM)mrfelina Wrote: To me, it sort of feels like the Giants are going to bring out the Brinks truck for him.

Left-handed hitters don't love playing in SF. Home runs to RF die there. But money talks.

RE: 2024 Cubs - 1060Ivy - 01-15-2024

Seems like more writers are mentioning the Angels in connection to Bellinger. Surprised with Trout in CF but guessing that either Bellinger or Trout could simply move to RF, first and/or DH. Without Othani, Angels have need for star power and available budget.

Angels have shown willingness to spend so won’t be surprised if they are used to simply secure a longer, more expensive contract / jack up price for him nor if they truly sign him

RE: 2024 Cubs - Butcher - 01-16-2024

If I had to guess, I think Chapman at 3B is our next and last big move. I think they're going to roll the dice with PCA in center. And they'll add some bullpen pieces and call it an offseason.

RE: 2024 Cubs - 1060Ivy - 01-17-2024

Cubs are playing Boras’ waiting game for Bellinger

If they miss out on signing Bellinger, and either Chapman or Hoskins remain unsigned after Bellinger signs with another team, they will move on to one of these options even after signing Busch.

As Boras represents all 3 players - Bellinger, Hoskins, and Chapman - Hoskins and Chapman will likely remain available till Bellinger signs.

Great to state the painfully obvious. It’s been a long day

RE: 2024 Cubs - MrSheps - 01-17-2024

I think you nailed it, Ivy. Would probably be done now one way or another if Boras didn't rep all three, and not just because Boras is known to wait out the market, but because if they all had different reps one or more would have signed and that would tip the dominoes.

I get a sense most fans who follow the Cubs pretty closely don't want Chapman. It's all dependent on the deal obviously, but if we end up with Chapman I'd be happy, as long as his defensive value doesn't tank.

RE: 2024 Cubs - Butcher - 01-17-2024

Unless Hoyer can get Bellinger on a short-year, high-AVV deal, I don't think he goes after him. He plays a great CF, which is a big part of his value. And if he isn't playing CF, he's playing 1B. PCA is probably going to get a long look at CF and the dude we just got from the Dodgers looks like he's going to be manning 1B.

I'm not sold on PCA. I know he has speed, but he looked brutal on the basepaths and took pretty weird routes in CF. And he was getting blown away by what looked like fairly hittable fastballs. I know, I know -- small sample size. But my point is he didn't look anywhere close to being ready when they brought him up last year.

I just know Hoyer puts a premium on defense and Chapman is an elite defensive 3B. And if that gets Madrigal off the team, then so much the better.

RE: 2024 Cubs - MrSheps - 01-17-2024

I just read an Athletic article about Matt Shaw working this winter on arm strength and playing third. They also seemed to ask Morel to play third in winter ball. I'm sure the Cubs are looking at options.

I worry about PCA's bat too, same exact thought on the fastballs. I want to chalk it up to jitters/comfort level/etc. I don't worry about the defense, he made some outstanding plays, and with the base running he was probably trying to do too much out there to make an impression. But all that is more reason to sign Belli, if you're not sold on PCA. Same with Busch, hopefully he's going to hit, but until he does, who knows. DH opens up a spot as well to move the guys around.

RE: 2024 Cubs - 1060Ivy - 01-17-2024

(01-17-2024, 04:29 PM)Butcher Wrote: Unless Hoyer can get Bellinger on a short-year, high-AVV deal, I don't think he goes after him. He plays a great CF, which is a big part of his value. And if he isn't playing CF, he's playing 1B. PCA is probably going to get a long look at CF and the dude we just got from the Dodgers looks like he's going to be manning 1B.

Bellinger proved he can provide power and leadership for this club last season.

A longer term deal with a couple of player options can act as a short term with high AVV deal.  Of course, that transfers additional risk to the Cubs.  Current roster requires left handed power so Boras / Bellinger have the Cubs right where he/they want(s) them.  Question is, did Jed remember the lube?

RE: 2024 Cubs - Butcher - 01-17-2024

(01-17-2024, 05:10 PM)MrSheps Wrote: I just read an Athletic article about Matt Shaw working this winter on arm strength and playing third. They also seemed to ask Morel to play third in winter ball. I'm sure the Cubs are looking at options.

I worry about PCA's bat too, same exact thought on the fastballs. I want to chalk it up to jitters/comfort level/etc. I don't worry about the defense, he made some outstanding plays, and with the base running he was probably trying to do too much out there to make an impression. But all that is more reason to sign Belli, if you're not sold on PCA. Same with Busch, hopefully he's going to hit, but until he does, who knows. DH opens up a spot as well to move the guys around.

Good points, all. And Counsell can probably juggle player roles better than Rossy.

RE: 2024 Cubs - funkster - 01-17-2024

Guys, lol pretty hard to judge PCA's bat on literally 19 plate appearances in his first call up to the big leagues. Maybe he'll suck, but on that sample there's absolutely no way to know.

2024 Cubs - Willbaseball - 01-18-2024

(01-17-2024, 11:21 PM)funkster Wrote: Guys, lol pretty hard to judge PCA's bat on literally 19 plate appearances in his first call up to the big leagues. Maybe he'll suck, but on that sample there's absolutely no way to know.

You’re absolutely right, period

…Period, and I want to just leave it there, but my mind wanders and I can’t help but get Corey Patterson/ Albert Almora vibes from PCA. The 5 strikeouts to 1 walk in minors scares the crap out of me. I truly do hope I’m wrong.

2024 Cubs - rok - 01-18-2024

Overreaction or not, the kid needs more time in AAA so we can’t just plug him in CF and expect an all-star to emerge. Our depth in CF isn’t great without Bellinger. Anyway, there’s still plenty of offseason left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2024 Cubs - funkster - 01-18-2024

Not disagreeing that he’s not ready. He was called up and then left to rot on the bench by David Ross, that’s a fact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: 2024 Cubs - 1060Ivy - 01-24-2024

With Rhys Hoskins signing deal with Brewers that seems similar to Bellinger’s deal with Cubs last season, it’s clear that Jed will be relying on prospects significant development for this season.

Still hoping that Bellinger signs with Cubs but won’t be surprised if another team beats Cubs out - you know intelligent spending

It is one thing for Cubs not to be extorted by Boras. It’s another thing if they don’t improve a roster that just missed a playoff spot by a couple of wins

Didn’t realize that second year in Hoskin’s contract is guaranteed so Brewers are taking on more risk than Cubs did last season with Bellinger’s contract. Yeah, Team Boras. Baseball fans everywhere just jumped for joy as a Boras’ client improved his financial security as the 2024 baseball’s hot stove season still remains quite cool