Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Splice
rok -- did you ever get around to seeing this one?

I enjoyed the movie for the most part. It's a weird one, though. I'd say the first hour and change isn't really horror/suspense. It's more of a sci-fi metaphor of the perils of being first time inexperienced parents. But it was actually pretty interesting and I really enjoyed the creature effects.

********PARTIAL SPOILER ALERT***********

At about 1:15, the movie takes an absolutely insane turn. It is so bizarre that it almost plays like dark humor (it's possible the filmmakers were going for this).

*******END SPOILER*********

There are definitely some chills and shocks in the final act. There were a few moments that were a little hard for me to suspend disbelief for and the dialogue wasn't outstanding. The leads did a decent job with the material they were given, though.

3.5/5
No, I haven't seen it yet, but I am a big fan of Natali from his Cube days. Your review is pretty much in line with how Ebert and the A.V. Club described it. What is interesting is that many horror sites were praising this movie for almost a year as it was moving through the festival circuit, but then it was re-edited before its wide release, and many of them now are disowning it. Very odd, but it sounds like it is right up my alley. I am expecting the drastic change from drama to something more extreme in the final act to be very similar to Sunshine from a few years ago, but I really shouldn't go in with any expectations like that.

I'm a big fan of Sarah Polley, so I have a feeling I will enjoy this no matter what. And thanks for the heads up.
Finally got around to watching this. It has a very dark Cronenbergian feel to it, like Dead Ringers and Videodrome in terms of grotesque body horror, and parts of it even reminded me quite a bit of Eraserhead when they are raising this creature. It definitely isn't traditional horror at all, though some parts are gory and others a bit jarring to the senses. I did not see that strange turn of events coming in that specific way, though I suspected something similar might happen. Still fairly original, even though it missed a few opportunities to be really good. And for some reason, I found myself less attracted to Sarah Polley in this than usual.

Anyway, I'm giving it 3.5/5 stars as well. It could have been a 4 though with a few minor changes.
It's ok. Adrien Brody's...ahem...indiscretion was a little creepy.
<!--quoteo(post=119172:date=Nov 8 2010, 09:21 AM:name=funkster)-->QUOTE (funkster @ Nov 8 2010, 09:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->It's ok. Adrien Brody's...ahem...indiscretion was a little creepy.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
A little?
Ok it was creepier than a mexican donkey show.
Yeah, that part bugged me so much that I had to pause it right then and hold off on finishing it until the next day, because I wasn't ready for what might come next (no pun intended).

Still, this is nothing compared to similar films that I've watched in the past, ie early Cronenberg as I mentioned, just that it came out of nowhere and threw me a bit. When the creature returned the favor on Polley's character, that actually bugged me even moreso.

Strangely enough, I actually like this more now that I've had a few days to digest it.
<!--quoteo(post=119181:date=Nov 8 2010, 09:43 AM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Nov 8 2010, 09:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->returned the favor on Polley's character, that actually bugged me even moreso.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I forgot about that. Yeah that was definitely way worse. Seemed incredibly unnecessary.
"Inside you. Inside you."
Is a gratuitous sex scene really needed in EVERY flick these days?
<!--quoteo(post=102021:date=Jun 17 2010, 03:49 PM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Jun 17 2010, 03:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->rok -- did you ever get around to seeing this one?

I enjoyed the movie for the most part. It's a weird one, though. I'd say the first hour and change isn't really horror/suspense. It's more of a sci-fi metaphor of the perils of being first time inexperienced parents. But it was actually pretty interesting and I really enjoyed the creature effects.

********PARTIAL SPOILER ALERT***********

At about 1:15, the movie takes an absolutely insane turn. It is so bizarre that it almost plays like dark humor (it's possible the filmmakers were going for this).

*******END SPOILER*********

There are definitely some chills and shocks in the final act. There were a few moments that were a little hard for me to suspend disbelief for and the dialogue wasn't outstanding. The leads did a decent job with the material they were given, though.

3.5/5<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Butch, the twist in the movie was definitely a risk to the entire film. Imo, the risk was not worth it. I enjoyed it up until that part but then I just couldn't keep myself from laughing.

2/5