Sons of Ivy
The likelyhood of Peavy - Printable Version

+- Sons of Ivy (https://sonsofivy.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Chicago Cubs (https://sonsofivy.com/forum/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: The Friendly Confines (https://sonsofivy.com/forum/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: The likelyhood of Peavy (/thread-7908.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

The likelyhood of Peavy - Captain - 01-23-2009

This is the big question right now. I'd like to know if you guys think its gonna happen.
I dont.
I guess I'm pessimistic in regards to great things happening.
I know all the signs are there with all the recent transactions but I just cant fall for it again.
Alderson has been quoted that the payroll thing (40 mill) is overblown. And he said that Feb.1 is the deadline.

I want Peavy as much or more than anyone,I just doubt it happens.Maybe I'm looking for some reassurance.

Do you think we trade for Peavy or not?

The likelyhood of Peavy - PcB - 01-23-2009

I think we get him a little after the new owner is announced.

The likelyhood of Peavy - Clapp - 01-23-2009

I think it's going to happen. I'm dead serious when I say I'd be shocked if it didn't. That's not optimism at all, it's being realistic and seeing what's going on. I'm the same person that says that I don't think they'll win a playoff game again in my lifetime.

Gammons said today he thinks it will happen and thinks Ricketts is perfect for us.

Just look at this situation. Why the fuck else would we trade Marquis? As I posted, Randy Wolf had a 3 year 28.5 million dollar offer from the Astros. Marquis is a more valuable pitcher than that guy. He goes out every year and will give you 190+ innings of solid pitching. These guys aren't cheap. Now we're looking to acquire another pitcher like this? Why would we deal Marquis? And don't tell me to get Luis Vizcaino. When you have Rich Harden in your rotation, you need 4 other guys you can count on to go out there every 5th day and rack up innings. Sean Marshall has never done that at a professional level.

We've acquired 5(?) pitchers since these initial talks. Now we've added depth to our system to allow us to trade some of these guys we were hesitant to before, or to give a couple of these guys to them. They've been known to want Garrett Olson.

We wouldn't give up DeRosa and Marquis solely for Milton Bradley. There's no way I'll believe that. This is a guy you can't expect to play more than 90 games and DeRo was our MVP last year.

Ricketts knows that if he allows the Cubs to spend an extra 15 million(which is nothing after youve spent 900 million), he'll get on the good side of fans right away. He knows he has to do this. He could give us the freedom to make that move and not give us a payroll bump for a few years and he can still point back to this.

If it doesn't happen, it wasn't because Hendry didn't try. This has been is plan all along, no question.

The likelyhood of Peavy - Ace - 01-23-2009

I'd say it's definitely better than 50/50. As Clapp said, the DeRosa, Pie, and Marquis deals, taken together, are the proof for me.

The likelyhood of Peavy - kbwsb - 01-23-2009

I think it's certainly a possibility. However, Clapp, there are two reasons that I'm a little more thinking like Captian:
1-Almost an exact replica of the Peavy scenario played out all winter long, last year. And yet Mr. Brian Roberts remained an Oriole.
2-Assuming that Mr. Hendry always has a rhyme or reason for some of his bizarre moves is a disease I was cured of back in about '05.

The likelyhood of Peavy - Mikey - 01-23-2009

<!--quoteo(post=13380:date=Jan 23 2009, 08:37 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Jan 23 2009, 08:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I think it's going to happen. I'm dead serious when I say I'd be shocked if it didn't. That's not optimism at all, it's being realistic and seeing what's going on. I'm the same person that says that I don't think they'll win a playoff game again in my lifetime.

Gammons said today he thinks it will happen and thinks Ricketts is perfect for us.

Just look at this situation. Why the fuck else would we trade Marquis? As I posted, Randy Wolf had a 3 year 28.5 million dollar offer from the Astros. Marquis is a more valuable pitcher than that guy. He goes out every year and will give you 190+ innings of solid pitching. These guys aren't cheap. Now we're looking to acquire another pitcher like this? Why would we deal Marquis? And don't tell me to get Luis Vizcaino. When you have Rich Harden in your rotation, you need 4 other guys you can count on to go out there every 5th day and rack up innings. Sean Marshall has never done that at a professional level.

We've acquired 5(?) pitchers since these initial talks. Now we've added depth to our system to allow us to trade some of these guys we were hesitant to before, or to give a couple of these guys to them. They've been known to want Garrett Olson.

We wouldn't give up DeRosa and Marquis solely for Milton Bradley. There's no way I'll believe that. This is a guy you can't expect to play more than 90 games and DeRo was our MVP last year.

Ricketts knows that if he allows the Cubs to spend an extra 15 million(which is nothing after youve spent 900 million), he'll get on the good side of fans right away. He knows he has to do this. He could give us the freedom to make that move and not give us a payroll bump for a few years and he can still point back to this.

If it doesn't happen, it wasn't because Hendry didn't try. This has been is plan all along, no question.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Hope so.

The likelyhood of Peavy - veryzer - 01-23-2009

the good lord shall provide, my friend. the good lord shall provide.

<!--quoteo(post=13384:date=Jan 23 2009, 07:58 PM:name=KBwsb)-->QUOTE (KBwsb @ Jan 23 2009, 07:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I think it's certainly a possibility. However, Clapp, there are two reasons that I'm a little more thinking like Captian:
1-Almost an exact replica of the Peavy scenario played out all winter long, last year. And yet Mr. Brian Roberts remained an Oriole.
2-Assuming that Mr. Hendry always has a rhyme or reason for some of his bizarre moves was a disease I was cured of back in about '05.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
It's one reason for you: you don't believe in Hendry.

The Roberts situation is completely different. MacPhail completely fucked with us and wanted half the farm system.

<!--quoteo(post=13386:date=Jan 23 2009, 09:00 PM:name=veryzer)-->QUOTE (veryzer @ Jan 23 2009, 09:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->the good lord shall provide, my friend. the good lord shall provide.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

WHEN?
Its been 100.

The likelyhood of Peavy - veryzer - 01-23-2009

the lord works in mysterious ways, my friend. the lord works in mysterious ways.

The likelyhood of Peavy - kbwsb - 01-23-2009

<!--quoteo(post=13388:date=Jan 23 2009, 09:01 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Jan 23 2009, 09:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=13384:date=Jan 23 2009, 07:58 PM:name=KBwsb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KBwsb @ Jan 23 2009, 07:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I think it's certainly a possibility. However, Clapp, there are two reasons that I'm a little more thinking like Captian:
2-Assuming that Mr. Hendry always has a rhyme or reason for some of his bizarre moves was a disease I was cured of back in about '05.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The Roberts situation is completely different. MacPhail completely fucked with us and wanted half the farm system.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
1-Do I think Hendry works in a linear manner? No. I think his methods are similar to a drunk man driving in the bumper-car ride. But, occasionally, that drunk man comes out unscathed.

I do think Jim has worked the Peavy thing pretty well, and I agree with Ace that our chances are at least 50/50, probably better.

2-The Roberts thing was actually <i>very</i> similar. Almost identical, right down to the opposing GM asking for the moon. And if you think that little Andy MacPhail is in the same league as the Padres brain trust of Kevin Towers/Sandy Alderson/Paul DePodesta, then I guess you weren't aware of the goings-on concerning the Chicago Cub baseball team during the years 1994-2006.

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->No. I think his methods are similar to a drunk man driving in the bumper-car ride. But, occasionally, that drunk man comes out unscathed.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]

The likelyhood of Peavy - ruby23 - 01-23-2009

I don't think it happens.

<!--quoteo(post=13396:date=Jan 23 2009, 08:14 PM:name=KBwsb)-->QUOTE (KBwsb @ Jan 23 2009, 08:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=13388:date=Jan 23 2009, 09:01 PM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ Jan 23 2009, 09:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=13384:date=Jan 23 2009, 07:58 PM:name=KBwsb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KBwsb @ Jan 23 2009, 07:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I think it's certainly a possibility. However, Clapp, there are two reasons that I'm a little more thinking like Captian:

1-Do I think Hendry works in a linear manner? No. I think his methods are similar to a drunk man driving in the bumper-car ride. But, occasionally, that drunk man comes out unscathed.

I do think Jim has worked the Peavy thing pretty well, and I agree with Ace that our chances are at least 50/50, probably better.

2-The Roberts thing was actually <i>very</i> similar. Almost identical, right down to the opposing GM asking for the moon. And if you think that little Andy MacPhail is in the same league as the Padres brain trust of Kevin Towers/Sandy Alderson/Paul DePodesta, then I guess you weren't aware of the goings-on concerning the Chicago Cub baseball team during the years 1994-2006.
You know that the Padres have to cut at least 5 million dollars right? They have to trade somebody.

And it looks like Brian Giles is the only other guy on the team making at least that much this year. There's not too many teams lining up to trade for Giles and his 9 million dollars this year when hes 38.