Sons of Ivy
These upcoming horror movies may not end up sucking - Printable Version

+- Sons of Ivy (https://sonsofivy.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Other (https://sonsofivy.com/forum/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: Movies, Music, Books, and Otters (https://sonsofivy.com/forum/forum-10.html)
+--- Thread: These upcoming horror movies may not end up sucking (/thread-4693.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

These upcoming horror movies may not end up sucking - Butcher - 07-09-2018

It's been interesting to me to see the massive split on the reactions to the movie. I thought it was great, but I have friends who didn't love it. I'll give it a listen...

These upcoming horror movies may not end up sucking - rok - 07-09-2018

Yeah, I thought it was great. Don't understand why a horror fan would dislike it in any way. It had me guessing all the way through, the acting was great, and holy shit was it creepy.

I wonder if part of it was the level of expectation for a lot of people. Leading up to its release, it was already crowned "the scariest movie since the exorcist" and all sorts of stuff like that. It was the talk of Sundance and almost universally praised across the board. When people saw it and it was a slow-burn, mostly psychological horror movie, maybe it didn't meet expectations?

I thought it was fantastic. When I stood up as the credits rolled, my entire back all the way down to my legs was drenched in sweat -- no exaggeration.

These upcoming horror movies may not end up sucking - rok - 07-09-2018

See, I tried not to read any reviews. Heard about the buzz and saw a couple of trailers, but I really tried to go in cold. The slow burn didnt bother me, as the family dynamics kept me interested throughout. And the images from the final scene still haunt me.

Quote:See, I tried not to read any reviews. Heard about the buzz and saw a couple of trailers, but I really tried to go in cold. The slow burn didnt bother me, as the family dynamics kept me interested throughout. And the images from the final scene still haunt me.

I didn't read any articles, but I was very aware of the buzz and the headlines.

These upcoming horror movies may not end up sucking - Butthead - 07-12-2018

Just back from Hereditary. That's the scariest film I've seen for ages. I really, really enjoyed it.

These upcoming horror movies may not end up sucking - Butcher - 07-12-2018

Quote:Just back from Hereditary. That's the scariest film I've seen for ages. I really, really enjoyed it.

I'm glad to hear you liked it so much. Did you see it with a group? Did everyone you were with liked it or was it a mixed reaction?

These upcoming horror movies may not end up sucking - Butthead - 07-12-2018

I just went with my wife after work to an afternoon screening. There were only about half a dozen other people there.

See loved it too. Think she was almost too scared to look towards the end judging by the little yelps and gasps she was letting out Haha.

It's funny, the most memorable bit for me, and probably the part I found most unsettling, was after the incident in the car. The lingering silence was terrifying.

These upcoming horror movies may not end up sucking - Butcher - 07-12-2018

Quote:I just went with my wife after work to an afternoon screening. There were only about half a dozen other people there.

See loved it too. Think she was almost too scared to look towards the end judging by the little yelps and gasps she was letting out Haha.

It's funny, the most memorable bit for me, and probably the part I found most unsettling, was after the incident in the car. The lingering silence was terrifying.

That scene was incredibly effective. The kid's reaction where he knows something unspeakably horrendous has just happened and doesn't have the will to face it was so well executed. Bone-chilling...

These upcoming horror movies may not end up sucking - rok - 07-12-2018

Yeah, it took me a good 30 minutes to shake off the feeling from that car incident.

These upcoming horror movies may not end up sucking - 1060Ivy - 07-21-2018

Very different than the Hereditary discussion and not a horror but a sci-fi.  The following trailer made me anxious for a Godzilla picture. 

There have been much better Godzilla trailers - the trailer for the 2014 movie with Bryan Cranston with the soldiers jumping out of the plane over San Francisco comes to mind - but expecting a solid movie with most likely far too much CGI but a solid cast and storyline.  Most likely reading too much into the trailer - like the 2014 Godzllla movie. 

https://youtu.be/wVDtmouV9kM

These upcoming horror movies may not end up sucking - rok - 09-17-2018

Gareth Evans is pretty great. Really want this to be good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZ9TXxIohZk

These upcoming horror movies may not end up sucking - rok - 10-06-2018

So I went to a midnight screening of "Mandy" last night. Really fun and trippy horror/revenge movie, the 2nd half anyway, and would recommend it for sure. That said, I don't understand some of the online talk about it becoming the next cult classic, Rocky Horror Picture Show-type phenomenon. The hype has been way overblown. Still worth seeing. Great visuals, score and early-80s vibe, and the good Nic Cage made an appearance, but nothing ground-breaking though.

These upcoming horror movies may not end up sucking - Butcher - 10-06-2018

I saw it at the music box last weekend and really enjoyed it. It was so ridiculous and over the top and Nick Cage was awesome and hilarious. I dont need to see it again, but definitely worth checking out once.

These upcoming horror movies may not end up sucking - rok - 10-06-2018

Butch, did you stick around post-credits? Kind of puts the movie in a different light.