Sons of Ivy
These upcoming horror movies may not end up sucking - Printable Version

+- Sons of Ivy (https://sonsofivy.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Other (https://sonsofivy.com/forum/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: Movies, Music, Books, and Otters (https://sonsofivy.com/forum/forum-10.html)
+--- Thread: These upcoming horror movies may not end up sucking (/thread-4693.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

These upcoming horror movies may not end up sucking - Butcher - 02-06-2015

I was a big fan of the original, but I have to say...it hasn't held up all that well. I watched it with my kids recently (11 and 9) and a lot of it seemed kind of hokey. The effects haven't aged well, either. And, I'm not sure what this means, neither of them were scared at all; they were mostly just bored. I'm sure that's a side-effect of being raised on Harry Potter and LOTR movies where everything is so loud and intense, but still...

I'm torn on the whole thing. I'm pretty tired of reboots, but I think Poltergeist is old enough and could benefit from a reboot, if done well. We'll see...

These upcoming horror movies may not end up sucking - Butcher - 02-13-2015

I watched Tusk tonight. I regret it.

These upcoming horror movies may not end up sucking - rok - 02-13-2015

Quote:I watched Tusk tonight. I regret it.
I think I'm done with Kevin Smith too.

These upcoming horror movies may not end up sucking - Butcher - 02-13-2015

Quote: 

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Butcher" data-cid="235768" data-time="1423809543">
I watched Tusk tonight. I regret it.
I think I'm done with Kevin Smith too.

</blockquote>

There were some fairly effective moments, but a lot of it seemed amateurish and lazy. I guess given the origins of the movie, that isn't surprising. But mostly it was just a waste of time.

These upcoming horror movies may not end up sucking - Butcher - 02-19-2015

It Follows is getting all sorts of good reviews. I'm pretty excited about that one.

These upcoming horror movies may not end up sucking - rok - 02-19-2015

Yes it has. So are Spring and Knock Knock. I hope this year is much better for horror than last year, which aside from a few pleasant surprises, totally blew.

These upcoming horror movies may not end up sucking - rok - 02-28-2015

Just watched "Starry Eyes" last night and was very pleasantly surprised. If you can get through the slow first 30 minutes or so, it is worth it. Definitely pays homage to Lynch (weird Hollywood) and to a lesser extent Cronenberg (body horror) in an interesting way. Nothing groundbreaking here, but still pretty well done. My only gripe was with the ending, which didn't resonate with me, but also didn't completely ruin the experience for me either.

These upcoming horror movies may not end up sucking - BT - 02-28-2015

Quote:Just watched "Starry Eyes" last night and was very pleasantly surprised. If you can get through the slow first 30 minutes or so, it is worth it. Definitely pays homage to Lynch (weird Hollywood) and to a lesser extent Cronenberg (body horror) in an interesting way. Nothing groundbreaking here, but still pretty well done. My only gripe was with the ending, which didn't resonate with me, but also didn't completely ruin the experience for me either.

that's odd. I read a review of it a few days ago who said the first 60 minutes were great, but then it sort of went to hell. He didn't mention the very end though.

These upcoming horror movies may not end up sucking - rok - 02-28-2015

Quote: 

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="rok" data-cid="236382" data-time="1425138859">
<div>
Just watched "Starry Eyes" last night and was very pleasantly surprised. If you can get through the slow first 30 minutes or so, it is worth it. Definitely pays homage to Lynch (weird Hollywood) and to a lesser extent Cronenberg (body horror) in an interesting way. Nothing groundbreaking here, but still pretty well done. My only gripe was with the ending, which didn't resonate with me, but also didn't completely ruin the experience for me either.

that's odd. I read a review of it a few days ago who said the first 60 minutes were great, but then it sort of went to hell. He didn't mention the very end though.

</div>
</blockquote>
The 1st half is a dark anti-Hollywood slow-burn, not quite horror, setup. The 2nd half is more of a body-horror/slasher film. You pretty much see it all coming. I thought both halves were done well, until the final 5 minutes or so. I wasn't looking for a nice, tidy ending, but it was just a bit of a head-scratcher.

These upcoming horror movies may not end up sucking - chshdsck - 03-06-2015

You'll have to excuse me, I'm still somewhat obsessed about seeing Rec. Every time I come across it I find out it's the English dubbed version, and I'm kind of holding out for the Spanish (with English subtitles) one.

Has anyone seen (and enjoyed) the English dubbed version? Or is it lame with the voice over?

These upcoming horror movies may not end up sucking - Butcher - 03-06-2015

I would avoid the dubbed version at all costs, if possible. I can't speak to the quality of the dub in REC, but every time I've seen a dubbed version of a movie, it ruins it. Too often it makes an unfunny scene unintentionally hilarious.

These upcoming horror movies may not end up sucking - rok - 03-06-2015

Dubbing is almost always awful. I avoid it at all costs. I have no problem reading subtitles.

These upcoming horror movies may not end up sucking - Butcher - 03-11-2015

rok (or anyone else) -- on a whim, I watched The Den on Netflix last night. Have you seen it? I thought it was pretty effective and unsettling. At times it felt like I was watching a snuff film (which I'm sure was the intent). I had to work a little hard to suspend my disbelief a few times, but overall it was a pleasant surprise.

These upcoming horror movies may not end up sucking - rok - 03-11-2015

No, I've been holding off on watching it, but has been in my queue for a while. I probably will give it a shot soon. Thanks for the tip.

These upcoming horror movies may not end up sucking - rok - 03-17-2015

Not a move, but this could have possibilities....if some hack who makes MTV series wasn't behind it. Loved the original, but never saw the remake.

http://www.avclub.com/article/teen-wolf-showrunner-adapting-let-right-one-tv-216707?utm_medium=RSS&utm_campaign=feeds