Sons of Ivy
Farm System - Printable Version

+- Sons of Ivy (https://sonsofivy.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Chicago Cubs (https://sonsofivy.com/forum/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: The Friendly Confines (https://sonsofivy.com/forum/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Farm System (/thread-2732.html)

Farm System - Auz - 08-28-2019

Am I missing something? Garcia demoted to AA to play in their playoffs and Hatch back in a Smokies uniform after we traded him away?

Farm System - rok - 08-28-2019

Garcia is batting now for Iowa.

Farm System - Auz - 08-28-2019

Its a fuck up with milb game day. I should have looked at the date. Its dated 5th April for some strange reason.

So forget the above

Farm System - rok - 08-28-2019

The MiLB app was messed up for me too until I clicked on the scores section.

Farm System - rok - 08-29-2019

The Cubs announced they are sending SS/2B/CF Nico Hoerner, C Miguel Amaya, 1B/OF Jared Young, RHP Keegan Thompson, RHP Erich Uelmen and LHRP Jordan Minch to the AFL.

Farm System - Dirk - 08-29-2019

What is Hoerner's defense like? Unless he's a complete butcher I'm inclined to call him up in May next season and see what he can do at 2B.

Farm System - Kid - 08-29-2019

He hasn't exactly lit the world on fire this season.  In 66 games at AA Tennessee he is slashing .281/.343/.406/.749.

It's not at all to say he can't be an excellent major leaguer, but I think he's still living off some hype from last year where he put up huge numbers in a handful of games each for Eugene and South Bend after being drafted, and then he went insane with a 1.609 OPS at spring training this year.

But with a .750-ish OPS at AA this year, he may be slotted to start 2020 there as well.  Even if he gets to start the season at Iowa, he would seemingly have to put up significantly better numbers to get called up that early.

Farm System - Dirk - 08-29-2019

Quote:He hasn't exactly lit the world on fire this season.  In 66 games at AA Tennessee he is slashing .281/.343/.406/.749.

It's not at all to say he can't be an excellent major leaguer, but I think he's still living off some hype from last year where he put up huge numbers in a handful of games each for Eugene and South Bend after being drafted, and then he went insane with a 1.609 OPS at spring training this year.

But with a .750-ish OPS at AA this year, he may be slotted to start 2020 there as well.  Even if he gets to start the season at Iowa, he would seemingly have to put up significantly better numbers to get called up that early.
I guess it's all predicated on what kind of AFL stats he puts up as well as ST and again, I know little about his defense. But could he outhit the slop we've had at 2nd this year? That wouldn't be hard to do.

Farm System - Kid - 08-29-2019

Quote: 

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Kid" data-cid="349994" data-time="1567092040">
<div>
He hasn't exactly lit the world on fire this season.  In 66 games at AA Tennessee he is slashing .281/.343/.406/.749.

I guess it's all predicated on what kind of AFL stats he puts up as well as ST and again, I know little about his defense. But could he outhit the slop we've had at 2nd this year? That wouldn't be hard to do.

</div>
</blockquote>

Who knows, but you don't want to interfere with his development.  Ultimately, I do wonder whether some of the reason that some Cubs didn't develop the way that we had hoped (Russell and, to a lesser degree, Schwarber) is that they didn't get as much time in the minors as you'd like.  Russell had 11 games in Iowa before he was called up in 2015.  Schwarber had 17 (and that was after he was called up for a week from Tennessee to DH).  

Farm System - rok - 08-29-2019

Hoerner has also dealt with injuries during both years in the Cubs system, so his development period has been condensed somewhat. Hopefully next year will be a fresh start. Hard to look at AFL stats and project out from there, but he definitely needs the ABs.

Farm System - rok - 09-16-2019

https://twitter.com/Cubs/status/1173631558156214272

Farm System - rok - 11-07-2019

Quote:15 Cubs Declared Minor League Free-Agents

Submitted by Arizona Phil on Thu, 11/07/2019 - 4:19am

CUBS 2019 MLB RULE 55 MINOR LEAGUE FREE-AGENTS:

Gioskar Amaya, INF

Yasiel Balaguert, 1B-OF (served as a coach with AZL Cubs #1 in 2019)

Trevor Clifton, RHP

Taylor Davis, C-1B

Enrique de los Rios, RHP

Phillip Evans, INF

Johnny Field, OF

Chih-Wei Hu, RHP

Erick Leal, RHP

Dixon Machado, INF

Chris Pieters, OF (served as a coach with AZL Cubs #2 in 2019)

Will Remillard, C (served as a coach with AA Tennessee in 2019)

Manuel Rondon, LHP

Allen Webster, RHP (was sent outright to AAA Iowa just prior to the 5 PM deadline)

Alex Wilson, RHP

RHP Corey Black (who spent the 2019 season on the AA Tennessee 60-day Injured List after undergoing TJS for the second time in his career in April), OF Charcer Burks, OF Roberto Caro, C Erick Castillo, RHP Oscar de la Cruz, LHP Luke Hagerty (who spent the 2019 season on the Myrtle Beach 60-day Injured List after undergoing surgery to repair a torn left flexor tendon in April), LHP Luis Lugo, and C Jhonny Pereda were eligible to be a Rule 55 minor league 6YFA, but each of them signed a 2020 minor league successor contract prior to being declared a 6YFA.

NOTE: All eight of these players will now be eligible for selection in next month's Rule 5 Draft, so it is possible that one or more could be added to the Cubs MLB Reserve List (40-man roster) when minor league reserve lists are established on 11/20 in preparation for the Rule 5 Draft.

LHP Danny Hultzen and RHP Colin Rea were eligible to be Rule 55 minor league 6YFA post-2019, but Hultzen's contract was selected and he was added to the Cubs MLB Reserve List (40-man roster) in September, and Rea had his contract selected and was added to the Cubs MLB 40-man roster Monday afternoon (just prior to the 5 PM Eastern deadline).

Farm System - rok - 01-20-2020

A bit of a head scratcher, but we'll see if he sticks with the A's.

https://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2020/1/20/21072600/mlb-oakland-athletics-chicago-cubs-vimael-machin-jurickson-profar-rule-5-draft

Farm System - VanSlawAndCottoCheese - 01-22-2020

Another example of why SBNation articles are not worth the paper they are printed on.

Quote:Beginning in the 2016 season Machín has not posted an OBP below .343. With the exception of the blip on the radar that was his 2018 season, he’s never had a batting average below .274.

So that OBP is nice--and certainly the Cubs could use at the top of their line-up. But the next sentence is deceptive and just plain wrong. If we are to consider "never" as literal, that would include his 2015 (the year in which Machin was drafted and had his first work in the minors) BA, which was .179. If we are to apply the "beginning in the 2016 season condition", that "never" would span exactly 4 seasons, which reduces the impressiveness a tad and makes 2016 a little larger blip. Reducing it more is the fact that Machin actually had a composite .267 BA across the 3 levels of minors he played at in 2016, and last I checked, .267 is below .274. So a more honest version of that sentence would read "In his 5 seasons in the minors, Machin had a BA of .274 or higher 2 times."

I like Machin and thought he might make a good utility guy in the majors, despite that he's already 26. But I haven't even read past the quoted passage in the SB Nation article to see if they acknowledge his age simply because of how transparently crappy that passage is.

Farm System - VanSlawAndCottoCheese - 01-22-2020

Oh, fuck me, I kept reading.

Quote:Come the end of the 2020 MLB season the A’s will be happy with the trade they made while the Cubs will wonder how they

could ever of
left Machín unprotected.