Sons of Ivy
Farm System - Printable Version

+- Sons of Ivy (https://sonsofivy.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Chicago Cubs (https://sonsofivy.com/forum/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: The Friendly Confines (https://sonsofivy.com/forum/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Farm System (/thread-2732.html)

Farm System - hansman - 07-11-2014

Quote:I wonder if Soler could be with the big club next year.

At some point, yes.  If they don't think he is ready for Opening Day, they will probably wait until Super Two has passed.

Quote:Gotta love this stat (among many others) from the left-handed hitting Schwarber:

In K.C.

vs. left: .364

vs. right: 364

I love Kyle Schwarber.  I want to have his babies.

Also, Schwarber has never had an OPS below 1.000.

Farm System - Runnys - 07-11-2014

Quote: 

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="funkster" data-cid="224417" data-time="1405054799">
<div>
I wonder if Soler could be with the big club next year.

At some point, yes.  If they don't think he is ready for Opening Day, they will probably wait until Super Two has passed.

Quote:Gotta love this stat (among many others) from the left-handed hitting Schwarber:

In K.C.

vs. left: .364

vs. right: 364

I love Kyle Schwarber.  I want to have his babies.

</div>
</blockquote>

Super Two doesn't matter for Soler.  He signed a major league contract through 2020.  So he will get called up when the FO thinks he is ready, what date it is will have no bearing on that.

Farm System - Runnys - 07-11-2014

After doing a little more research, I guess Super Two could alter what date they call him up.  It looks like Soler has a clause in his contract that he can opt for arbitration each year he is eligible for it instead of the guaranteed money in his contract for those specific years.

Of course, if he opts for arbitration that means he is doing well and I don't think the Cubs would complain.

Quote:After doing a little more research, I guess Super Two could alter what date they call him up.  It looks like Soler has a clause in his contract that he can opt for arbitration each year he is eligible for it instead of the guaranteed money in his contract for those specific years.

Of course, if he opts for arbitration that means he is doing well and I don't think the Cubs would complain.

I wonder if he opts for arbitration if that permanently changes his salary?  I imagine it would, but I think that would alter any changes to the Cubs desire to offer any sort of renegotiated contract or extension.

Farm System - funkster - 07-11-2014

Quote: 

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="funkster" data-cid="224417" data-time="1405054799">
<div>
I wonder if Soler could be with the big club next year.

Probably not out of Spring Training, but if he stays healthy and plays well, there's probably a good chance.  Free agency isn't really a consideration for him as he's signed through 2020 regardless of when he gets called up, so I assume they'll call him up as soon as they think he's ready.

</div>
</blockquote>
SSS of course, but he's not really being challenged at AA.

Farm System - willis - 07-11-2014

Seeing what he is doing in AA, I'd think he could fast track it if he can stay healthy. His results, even without a ton of baseball in the last few years have been remarkable. But, he just can't stay on the field physically (which, when seeing him, makes you scratch the head a little). But if he could get past his injuries...he could be as good as any of the prospects.

Farm System - MickKelleherWasMyHero - 07-11-2014

So Bryant, who has never got hurt and has mashed at every level at every level, shouldn't be fast-tracked or promoted, but Soler, who really hasn't had extended success due to his health, should be promoted soon?

I don't understand the logic.

Farm System - Coldneck - 07-11-2014

Quote:So Bryant, who has never got hurt and has mashed at every level at every level, shouldn't be fast-tracked or promoted, but Soler, who really hasn't had extended success due to his health, should be promoted soon?

It's somewhat logical if you consider the collective bargaining agreement. And the fact that Soler is being paid right now as if he is a major leaguer.

Farm System - Kid - 07-11-2014

Quote: 

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="MickKelleherWasMyHero" data-cid="224463" data-time="1405093384">
<div>
So Bryant, who has never got hurt and has mashed at every level at every level, shouldn't be fast-tracked or promoted, but Soler, who really hasn't had extended success due to his health, should be promoted soon?

It's somewhat logical if you consider the collective bargaining agreement. And the fact that Soler is being paid right now as if he is a major leaguer.

</div>
</blockquote>

It's not "somewhat logical."  It's completely logical.

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">Jorge Soler is signed to a major league contract that expires after 2020.  Jorge Soler will be a free agent after the 2020 season no matter when he is called up to the majors.  If Jorge Soler is called up today he will be a free agent after 2020.  If Jorge Soler is called up September 1, 2020, he will be a free agent after 2020.

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;"> 

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">If Kris Bryant is called up at any point from now through late April/early May 2015, he will be a free agent after 2020.  If Kris Bryant is called up after late April/early May 2015, he will be a free agent after 2021.

Quote:So Bryant, who has never got hurt and has mashed at every level at every level, shouldn't be fast-tracked or promoted, but Soler, who really hasn't had extended success due to his health, should be promoted soon?

You want to fast track him, not only because of service time concerns but he runs out of options after next year.  If he can start the year on the big league club that gives the Cubs additional flexibility with sending him down if he struggles at some point.

The question then becomes, would playoff run/playoff experience in Iowa/Tennessee be more valuable or 2-3 weeks of MLB plate appearances?

Farm System - Coldneck - 07-11-2014

Quote: 

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Coldneck" data-cid="224464" data-time="1405093979">
<div>

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="MickKelleherWasMyHero" data-cid="224463" data-time="1405093384">
<div>

</div>
</blockquote>

It's not "somewhat logical."  It's completely logical.

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">Jorge Soler is signed to a major league contract that expires after 2020.  Jorge Soler will be a free agent after the 2020 season no matter when he is called up to the majors.  If Jorge Soler is called up today he will be a free agent after 2020.  If Jorge Soler is called up September 1, 2020, he will be a free agent after 2020.

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;"> 

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">If Kris Bryant is called up at any point from now through late April/early May 2015, he will be a free agent after 2020.  If Kris Bryant is called up after late April/early May 2015, he will be a free agent after 2021.

</div>
</blockquote>
You could have just said "I agree with Coldneck." It would have been much shorter. 

Farm System - Kid - 07-11-2014

That makes this happen to me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkqgDoo_eZE

Farm System - Auz - 07-12-2014

Soler since he has come back from injury:-

8 for 17, 1 2B, 3 HR, 5 RBI, 3 BB, 4 SO

He could slug it out for the Smokies until September, then get a call up to the majors or go to the AFL or both. What's important is for him to get as much game time as possible. 

Farm System - Runnys - 07-12-2014

Quote:Soler since he has come back from injury:-

8 for 17, 1 2B, 3 HR, 5 RBI, 3 BB, 4 SO

He could slug it out for the Smokies until September, then get a call up to the majors or go to the AFL or both. What's important is for him to get as much game time as possible. 

I'm not too sure about getting as much game time as possible.  He has shown that he can hit, he doesn't need work on that.  He has also showed that he can't stay on the field.  If, and its a big if, he makes it all the way through September with no more injuries I think you tell him good job, take the winter off from playing and start working out with a trainer of the teams choosing on flexibility.