112 replies to this topic

#106 Kid

Kid

Mr. Congeniality

• Private Access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,905 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 10:56

Chicago Cubs first-round pick Alex Lange had an issue come up with his physical on Monday, but the sides continue to talk about a deal that would presumably be less than the slot bonus value of $2,184,300 for the No. 30 pick, league sources tell FanRag Sports.

It’s unclear what the exact issue is with Lange’s physical, but it was enough where the two sides have to go back and discuss a new deal.

Lange, one of the few remaining unsigned first-round picks, is a power right-handed pitcher out of LSU. Some scouts view him as a reliever in the major leagues, although with the numbers he put up in college – 10-5, 2.97 ERA, 150/48 strikeout-to-walk ratio – the argument can be made for him being a starter.

If Lange fails to come to terms again with the Cubs, Chicago would have to offer Lange a certain percent of the slot to retain their rights to get a compensation pick for not signing him. What works against Lange not signing with the Cubs is he would be a senior, giving him less leverage in future draft negotiations.

What some have compared the situation to is recent draft prospect Kyle Funkhouser, who was drafted No. 35 overall by the Los Angeles Dodgers in 2015. While Funkhouser didn’t fail a physical with the Dodgers, he chose to go back to Louisville for his senior season and wound up being drafted in the fourth round by the Detroit Tigers, signing for a $750,000 bonus, much less than what he would have received in 2015 had he chosen to sign with the Dodgers.

Link

#107 funkster

funkster

Hall of Famer

• Private Access
  • 17,706 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 11:21

Well, that sucks.

#108 rok

rok

Chairman of the Board

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,578 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 11:40

I'm more concerned about his future now than I am about whether he will sign or not. I'm no scout, but his mechanics aren't exactly the smoothest.

#109 funkster

funkster

Hall of Famer

• Private Access
  • 17,706 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 15:19

Lange and Estrada have both signed. Lange looks to be 1.9, so under slot.

#110 MTcub

MTcub

Little League

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 15:29

That is good news, looked a little dicey on Lange this afternoon, hopefully the physical issue isn't serious.  I haven't seen anything official on Velazquez yet, but I thought I saw a tweet or in a blog today say he had his name on a locker in Arizona already.  He didn't seem to have any strong college commit that I could ever find.

#111 rok

rok

Chairman of the Board

• Administrators
  • 32,578 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 21:08

Of course Estrada signed well over slot.

....Velazquez too.

#112 rok

rok

Chairman of the Board

• Administrators
  • 32,578 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 08:37

Also, Conlon could be an interesting FA option if we're looking for another high upside young arm. Baltimore keeps playing games with player physicals.

http://www.baseballa...MB25IjucMGcG.97

#113 MTcub

MTcub

Little League

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 10:58

Saw an article that he in on campus and in classes at Texas A&M, there is a 5th rounder, HS Pitcher, that LAA couldn't sign with a South Alabama commit, but didn't see if he will be FA eligible, not sure the specifics of that rule.  Might be easier to buy out a S. Bama commit then a Texas A&M commit especially if he's already on campus.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users