82 replies to this topic

#31 phan

phan

Triple-A Ball

• Private Access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 20:44

I think some are giving a lot of credit to the writers point of view. He could skew the story however he wants.

Clearly the story is only interesting if it tells another side of Epstein other than him being a baseball genius. I'd be curious to see what Epstein thinks of this article

#32 jstraw

jstraw

Penus

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,486 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 20:46

May I observe that the article, if true, highlights aspects of Theo's personality I find disturbing, without it indicating a lack of appreciation or respect for the job he's doing?

#33 phan

phan

Triple-A Ball

• Private Access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 20:47

May I observe that the article, if true, highlights aspects of Theo's personality I find disturbing, without it indicating a lack of appreciation or respect for the job he's doing?

Next you'll be rooting for the Redbirds

#34 jstraw

jstraw

Penus

• Administrators
  • 25,486 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 20:48

I don't want to think about what Mozeliak makes his staff eat.

#35 funkster

funkster

Hall of Famer

• Private Access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,706 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 20:49

Who gives a shit, I'm sure if he wasn't willing to go along with it he'd tell him to fuck off.  Nothing in the article does anything but make me think he kicks even more ass.

We typically care if one of our players is a dick, why shouldn't be care about the front office guys in the same way?

However, this is one of the many reasons that I don't read sports articles about the personalities. I don't want to know what they are like as people.

They are merely puppets for my enjoyment. Now dance, puppets, dance!

Because I don't think being goofy and telling someone under him to eat bread as part of a superstition, of which we don't really know the context, makes him a dick.

Other than the pranks which I would probably find annoying, I don't see anything in there that shows that they do any more than bust each other's balls a bit...and quite tamely I might add.

#36 Butcher

Butcher

Poundie the Clown

• Administrators
  • 22,047 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 21:17

I'm still not really seeing how he's a dick. He's fucking around and giving guys shit like you would with your college buddies.

#37 funkster

funkster

Hall of Famer

• Private Access
  • 17,706 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 21:20

I'm still not really seeing how he's a dick. He's fucking around and giving guys shit like you would with your college buddies.

Hell, me and my guy coworkers talk shit like this to each other all the time.

#38 jstraw

jstraw

Penus

• Administrators
  • 25,486 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 21:31

Can they return fire?

#39 jstraw

jstraw

Penus

• Administrators
  • 25,486 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 21:36

Hell, me and my guy coworkers talk shit like this to each other all the time.

That's not the same as a boss that can talk shit to a subordinate who can't respond in kind, is it? And this isn't talking shit. It's doing shit.

#40 Butcher

Butcher

Poundie the Clown

• Administrators
  • 22,047 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 21:46

If it was detrimental to their career for firing back or fucking with Theo in return, then sure, he's a dick. I guess I'm just (perhaps wrongfully) assuming that's part of the fun. Give and take.

#41 VanSlawAndCottoCheese

VanSlawAndCottoCheese

Whimbilly Hendicks

• Private Access
  • 11,442 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 21:47

Who gives a shit, I'm sure if he wasn't willing to go along with it he'd tell him to fuck off.  Nothing in the article does anything but make me think he kicks even more ass.

We typically care if one of our players is a dick, why shouldn't be care about the front office guys in the same way?

However, this is one of the many reasons that I don't read sports articles about the personalities. I don't want to know what they are like as people.

They are merely puppets for my enjoyment. Now dance, puppets, dance!

Because I don't think being goofy and telling someone under him to eat bread as part of a superstition, of which we don't really know the context, makes him a dick.

Other than the pranks which I would probably find annoying, I don't see anything in there that shows that they do any more than bust each other's balls a bit...and quite tamely I might add.

Fair enough, as--like I implied--I haven't read the article.

#42 Butcher

Butcher

Poundie the Clown

• Administrators
  • 22,047 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 21:48

Read it or I'm gonna make you eat some bread, fucko!

#43 Kid

Kid

Mr. Congeniality

• Private Access
  • 13,905 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 21:50

This may be the dumbest thread ever, and that's saying something.

#44 VanSlawAndCottoCheese

VanSlawAndCottoCheese

Whimbilly Hendicks

• Private Access
  • 11,442 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 21:53

As someone who supervises about 15-25 student employees any given term (most half my age), I can tell you that I'm constantly mindful of the line where ribbing can smack up against the power divide. I tend to be more jocular with my male employees as well, perhaps based upon an unfair extension of the locker room mentality.

Still, over the 18(!) years I have been in my position between this school and the one in Chicago, there have been times where I was aware that I had crossed the line, that the student was not likely able to give as much as he/she took. Those were important moments for helping me mature as a boss.

#45 VanSlawAndCottoCheese

VanSlawAndCottoCheese

Whimbilly Hendicks

• Private Access
  • 11,442 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 21:55

Read it or I'm gonna make you eat some bread, fucko!

Can't take the carbs right now. On the other hand that looked like one fuck-long article.

Had it been short, I would have read it, based on YOUR recommendation, as I trust your tastes implicitly.

Dill-dick.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users