#1 Brock

Brock

Advanced Member

• Private Access
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,906 posts
  • LocationMadison, WI

Posted 29 December 2012 - 23:04

Anyone else see this movie? I thought it was pretty great. It's kind of a b-movie thriller/exploitation/black comedy with Matthew McConaughey, Emile Hirsch, Thomas Haden Church, Gina Gershon, and some British chick named Juno Temple (apparently she was in the last Batman movie?).

I'd post the trailer but it gives things away a bit.

#2 rok

rok

Chairman of the Board

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,660 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 30 December 2012 - 00:39

It's funny. I just watched McConaughey in "Bernie" and then in "Killer Joe" about 2 weeks apart. The roles couldn't have been more different, and he was great in both. I've never been a fan of his, but he's on a bit of a roll. I thought the movie was a lot of fun in a "Wild Things" and "Blood Simple" kinda way. And Temple is hot in a very inappropriate kinda way.

#3 liner

liner

Buy the ticket, take the ride.

• Private Access
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,348 posts
  • Locationsuburbs

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:17

I feel the same about Temple. A friend of mine starred in the stage version of Killer Joe in Chicago very recently. I've been meaning to check this out.

#4 Scarey

Scarey

Advanced Member

• Private Access
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,093 posts
  • LocationPortage, IN

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:17

It's funny. I just watched McConaughey in "Bernie" and then in "Killer Joe" about 2 weeks apart. The roles couldn't have been more different, and he was great in both. I've never been a fan of his, but he's on a bit of a roll. I thought the movie was a lot of fun in a "Wild Things" and "Blood Simple" kinda way. And Temple is hot in a very inappropriate kinda way.

I quite hate McConaughey, but I enjoyed him in Lincoln Lawyer.

#5 rok

rok

Chairman of the Board

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,660 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:57

I quite hate McConaughey, but I enjoyed him in Lincoln Lawyer.

He's a slithery, narcissistic douche, but I think he's made a real effort of using those qualities to earn more appropriate roles for himself in smaller movies recently. He sucked in just about everything that he did post-"Dazed and Confused." Since "Tropic Thunder" and his small role in "Eastbound and Down" I've sort of warmed up to him a bit. He's still a piece of shit though.

#6 BT

BT

Advanced Member

• Private Access
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,317 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:01

"Frailty" was totally underrated and McConaughey was very good in it, and "U-571" was fine for what it was. You guys are just jealous. Admittedly, much of his other stuff sucked.

#7 rok

rok

Chairman of the Board

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,660 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:07

I liked "Frailty" a lot, but not because of McConaughey.

#8 Brock

Brock

Advanced Member

• Private Access
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,906 posts
  • LocationMadison, WI

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:32

It's funny. I just watched McConaughey in "Bernie" and then in "Killer Joe" about 2 weeks apart.

How was Bernie? It looked interesting from a preview, but I kind of hate Jack Black.

#9 rok

rok

Chairman of the Board

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,660 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:47

I thought it was really well made and had some strong performances by the leads. It had a mockumentary style to it, and some really funny lines, but was more of a dark comedy and drama. I like Jack Black though, but in moderation. He showed a lot of range in "Bernie." I'm surprised it got such little attention and never made it to theaters.

#10 CCwinwssoon

CCwinwssoon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 21:53

Talk about a movie that ends with a jolt. A fine movie even before the grand finale. Probably the best little movie of the year.

#11 Butcher

Butcher

Teats Rosenthal

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,323 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 22:23

Watching Killer Joe right now. It's a good, sleazy film noir. I'm liking it.

#12 Jody

Jody

Captain Poopy Pants

• Private Access
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,240 posts
  • LocationSpringfield, IL

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:18

I thought Bernie was fantastic! I'm not a Jack Black fan at all but he was excellent in this movie. Alright, alright, alright!

#13 Coldneck

Coldneck

How can you be so obtuse?

• Private Access
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,460 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:23

I thought Bernie was fantastic! I'm not a Jack Black fan at all but he was excellent in this movie. Alright, alright, alright!

I don't know how anyone could think it was fantastic. Absolutely well acted, but just as weird and boring too.

#14 Butcher

Butcher

Teats Rosenthal

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,323 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:46

I'm not sure I will ever look at a bucket of KFC the same way again...

#15 Jody

Jody

Captain Poopy Pants

• Private Access
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,240 posts
  • LocationSpringfield, IL

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:10

It was just so different from anything I'd ever seen, I really enjoyed it.

I don't know how anyone could think it was fantastic. Absolutely well acted, but just as weird and boring too.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users