Posted Image

#2 Jody

Jody

Captain Poopy Pants

• Private Access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,329 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 07:35

With the interest shown in acquiring a 3rd base prospect I'm guessing the Cubs don't think Vitters will pan out and are not planning on moving Baez? Interesting.

#3 Andy

Andy

Hall of Famer

• Root Admin
  • 15,122 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:40

Just to try to balance out my slightly optimistic recap, while Baez is hitting the tar out of the ball, he has 11 errors in 40 games at SS.

#4 Butcher

Butcher

Teats Rosenthal

• Administrators
  • 13,588 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:57

We really need to get some pitching back in any trades we make.

#5 willis

willis

Disco Dancer

• Private Access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,555 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 11:10

We really need to get some pitching back in any trades we make.

Seeing that the "top" pitching prospect just mercifully was demoted to the pen, you're absolutely right. If they are going to dismantle this pitching staff then many arms need to be in the return package.

Kind of a shitty feeling that the cubs are playing so well and are about to be blown up. The cause is right of course.

#6 1060Ivy

1060Ivy

Triple-A Ball

• Private Access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,815 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 11:19

Quick question - are "top" pitching prospects seen as a bigger crap shoot than "top" position players?

Just seems like there are greater risks from a health perspective on pitchers than position players so I would venture that pitching prospects wash out more frequently but don't believe that I've ever seen data to support that thinking.

#7 5412

JC Ball

• Private Access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 15:30

Hi,

While I am loving the stats on Baex, and want to head to Beloit next week to see him, he was born 12/1/1992. He has a bit of growing up to do.

Cubs mentioned when they drafted him that he might move to 3B. Word I got was he could easily be a MLB shortstop. If folks have followed Castro closely he is now heading toward the bag, consistently bringing the ball back to his glove and throwing. He has become much more consistent. Hopefully most of Baez' errors are throwing also and with a good bit of coaching and several thousand ground balls he can get it worked out.

regards,

#8 Fella

Fella

Juan Sumerpes?

• Private Access
  • 10,544 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 17:09

I love that Baez just seems to have that killer instinct and confidence that Vitters never had. Everyone also raves about how hard he hits the ball. If he keeps this up he may be ranked as one of the top prospects in baseball next year.

#9 jstraw

jstraw

Vainglorious smarmy-pants

• Administrators
  • 14,582 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 19:23

I had that very conversation with some of the guys the other night. My impression is the same as yours. I think its important to draft others but there's probably done strategy behind the stock up on position players.realistically when the club truly is a piece or two away, i expect to be trading for and signing from free agency, starring pitching.

#10 5412

JC Ball

• Private Access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 20:53

Hi,

Yes I believe pitchers are indeed a crap shoot. There is so much that can go wrong physically with a guys arm. You can get a guy who throws 99 and then he can't throw strikes like Ankiel for example. Whatever happened to Billy Petrick? I think that is how you spell it, he was from a Chicago suburb. Good example, big kid, throws the ball through a wall and gets a cup of coffee never to be heard from since.

I lived in Atlanta when Cox started his dynasty and followed them closely as some of my family still lives there. One of the reasons they had such guys like Glavine and Smoltz was they drafted a ton of pitchers figuring they could always trade young pitching when they needed to. Worked pretty well for them.

regards,

#11 rok

rok

Chairman of the Board

• Administrators
  • 18,695 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 23:21

Either way you always need some high-upside young pitching in your system, whether it is used to help the big league club, or to use as trade bait for other needs. We have neither.

#12 VanSlawAndCottoCheese

VanSlawAndCottoCheese

Merkle's Boner

• Private Access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,133 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 19:53

Carlos Lee and his boner for playing the Cubs can suck the business end of a Remington shotgun.

#13 bz

bz

OH, HAI DOGGY!

• Private Access
  • 14,968 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 01:14

I love that Baez just seems to have that killer instinct and confidence that Vitters never had. Everyone also raves about how hard he hits the ball. If he keeps this up he may be ranked as one of the top prospects in baseball next year.

Not to sound like a douche, but how do you or anyone know what kind of "instinct or confidence" Vitters has? A guy who tries to hit pitches that aren't strikes seems like the type that is confident in hitting any pitch (as reckless and dumb as that may be.)

#14 Clapp

Clapp

AAAA Player

• Private Access
  • 12,348 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:28

He will be. He was ranked No. 25 (No. 13 for positional players) on BA's midseason top 50 a couple weeks ago, and he's only been impressing scouts more since then. Goldstein said a couple days ago that scouts already view Baez as the top offensive player in the Midwest League, saying he's passed Miguel Sano (No. 22 on that BA list). Keep in mind some of the players ranked ahead of him on that list will move on to the bigs soon too.

His bat speed is off the charts and he's incredibly confident as you said; he carries himself with a swagger. Hell he's even 16 of 19 on stolen bases.

Casey Kopitzke (former Cubs minor league catcher & current Peoria manager) has done nothing but rave about him. Says how he drives the ball to all fields and is just unbelievably talented in most every way. There's really nothing he can't do. He's shaky right now at shortstop, but that's expected of a 19-year-old. Not to mention most everybody thinks he'll end up at third base down the road anyway, and be damn good there.

Dude just has that special look and I'm really freaking excited about his potential.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users