30 replies to this topic

#1 Andy

Andy

Hall of Famer

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,300 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 21:00

So let's say, all things come through and both Dempster and Garza are traded. What's the 2013 starting pitching look like? The 2013 FA pool for SP has shrank pretty considerably. With Philly out of the race, it looks like Hamels will be traded. Greinke is looking like it's a good possibility he'll be traded.

Our farm system is almost bare of SP prospects that are ready to be at the MLB level.

That leaves us with:
Shark
Maholm
Wood
Volstad
???

So without trades, I'm not real confident we won't be worse (if that's possible) next year.

#2 jstraw

jstraw

Vainglorious smarmy-pants

• Administrators
  • 15,117 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 21:12

We could have Dempster next season.

#3 rok

rok

Chairman of the Board

• Administrators
  • 19,798 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 21:49

Maholm may also be traded before month's end. I think Wood is the only certainty for 2013 at this point.

#4 Coach

Coach

Hall of Famer

• Private Access
  • 17,217 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 07:36

If we trade both, then I assume that we'll get 1-2 ML ready SPs for next year's rotation.

#5 Dirk

Dirk

Cubs Bench Player

• Private Access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,390 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 07:49

I wouldn't be opposed to seeing Russell get another shot at the rotation.

#6 jstraw

jstraw

Vainglorious smarmy-pants

• Administrators
  • 15,117 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:53

Ok but just five starts.

#7 willis

willis

Disco Dancer

• Private Access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,645 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:20

I hope you're kidding.

As far as 2013, if Garza is traded then it most likely paints that 2013 is another throwaway season. Wood and Shark would be the 1-2 in that rotation and I have no confidence that the FO would go after Hamels or Greinke during free agency. There is nothing ready in the minors and unless there is a huge haul with a couple ML ready pitchers then the rotation would be horrible.

If Garza is not traded, then it changes things dramitically. He gets extended, they go after one more arm to join he, Shark and Wood, then all of the sudden competition is possible.

#8 vitaminB

vitaminB

snide littel prick

• Private Access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:48

I'm sure we'll be worse next year. But at least we'll be younger.

#9 rok

rok

Chairman of the Board

• Administrators
  • 19,798 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:57

I'm fairly certain that the plan was to be as bad or slightly worse in 2013 anyway, but at least we'll have a better idea of who has a real future with this team. Can't judge the roster properly with all these expiring contracts and borderline bench players/fringe prospects getting regular PT as they currently are.

#10 Dirk

Dirk

Cubs Bench Player

• Private Access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,390 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:51

I hope you're kidding.

As far as 2013, if Garza is traded then it most likely paints that 2013 is another throwaway season. Wood and Shark would be the 1-2 in that rotation and I have no confidence that the FO would go after Hamels or Greinke during free agency. There is nothing ready in the minors and unless there is a huge haul with a couple ML ready pitchers then the rotation would be horrible.

If Garza is not traded, then it changes things dramitically. He gets extended, they go after one more arm to join he, Shark and Wood, then all of the sudden competition is possible.

That "we're just one player away from competing" mentality is how we got in this mess. I don't see any reason to sign a big FA pitcher this offseason. Furthermore I don't see any reason to extend Garza.

#11 veryzer

veryzer

Glorious asshole

• Private Access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,210 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:54

I hope you're kidding.

That "we're just one player away from competing" mentality is how we got in this mess. I don't see any reason to sign a big FA pitcher this offseason. Furthermore I don't see any reason to extend Garza.

I agree....plus i fear that Garza may not be as good as we think. His trade value may never be higher than it is now.

#12 5412

JC Ball

• Private Access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 11:11

I hope you're kidding.

Hi,

One reason to extend Garza. He is struggling now so a 2-3 year extension could be cheap. I just would give him a very limited no-trade clause if at all. That could improve his value if he is decent.

regards,

#13 rok

rok

Chairman of the Board

• Administrators
  • 19,798 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:35

No way he'd sign a 2-3 year contract. No chance at his age and ability. I would do it, but he won't.

#14 Andy

Andy

Hall of Famer

• Root Admin
  • 15,300 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:43

I hope you're kidding.

That's exactly why we need an ace pitcher. We don't/won't have one for a while. This team may not be ready in 2013, but 2014 it will be closer. I think it's a failure to not try to get pieces now because you don't think you'll fully need them for a year. It does take a while to rebuild the team, but the Cubs aren't financially strapped. They should be able to afford to work both through the farm system along with the free agency/trade market. Trading up is less likely because they are trying to build their farm system, but that doesn't preclude them from going after decent free agents.

#15 vitaminB

vitaminB

snide littel prick

• Private Access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:51

I hope you're kidding.

That's exactly why we need an ace pitcher. We don't/won't have one for a while. This team may not be ready in 2013, but 2014 it will be closer. I think it's a failure to not try to get pieces now because you don't think you'll fully need them for a year. It does take a while to rebuild the team, but the Cubs aren't financially strapped. They should be able to afford to work both through the farm system along with the free agency/trade market. Trading up is less likely because they are trying to build their farm system, but that doesn't preclude them from going after decent free agents.

It's just going to be hard to attract Hamels or Greinke without a decent team in place, unless we overpay a bunch.

I'm with you. I don't see why a large market team has to spend five years rebuilding the roster. There just aren't many examples of teams that have won a WS without getting big time FAs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users