#2 1060Ivy

1060Ivy

Advanced Member

• Private Access
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,657 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 26 June 2012 - 03:33

Guess that having the Balco guy as a training adviser can eventually get a player in trouble. Either MLB must have developed a new test or Byrd bounced his last check to the lab.

#3 jstraw

jstraw

Vainglorious smarmy-pants

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,787 posts
  • LocationTopeka, KS

Posted 26 June 2012 - 05:52

Or he's telling the truth. His explanation (not an excuse, he's taking responsibility) might be for real. When it comes out that he's sick and that's where the 40 pounds went, I will have totally called it...months ago. I hope he's ok. I think he's a good guy.

#4 rok

rok

Chairman of the Board

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,670 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:49

I want to believe him, but why keep the illness a secret? If Braun can talk his way out of a suspension, why couldn't Marlon fight this for supposedly valid reasons?

#5 jstraw

jstraw

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,787 posts
  • LocationTopeka, KS

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:56

I want to believe him, but why keep the illness a secret? If Braun can talk his way out of a suspension, why couldn't Marlon fight this for supposedly valid reasons?

Maybe he has ovarian cancer. Who knows. There's something about his unashamed association with Balco..and no hint that he's tested positive for anything that would have come from them. I'm sure I'm being naive. The weight loss doesn't look like a winter off of PEDs to me.

#6 rok

rok

Chairman of the Board

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,670 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 26 June 2012 - 09:02

I agree, but it also doesn't look like a winter off of just gluten either. If something more serious is going on, it would be best for everyone just to come clean about it and move on. Why even risk taking a banned substance, which he isn't denying having taken? Just seems beyond weird.

#7 jstraw

jstraw

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,787 posts
  • LocationTopeka, KS

Posted 26 June 2012 - 09:11

I agree that it's all weird. It just feels like the full story here is more complex than cheating at baseball.

#8 funkster

funkster

Advanced Member

• Private Access
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,055 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:05

Didn't Manny have a similar story?

#9 jstraw

jstraw

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,787 posts
  • LocationTopeka, KS

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:50

Except for the part where he wastes away over one off season and where he feels he has nothing to hide consulting on nutrition with a guy with a bad reputation.

#10 funkster

funkster

Advanced Member

• Private Access
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,055 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:54

Except for the part where he wastes away over one off season and where he feels he has nothing to hide consulting on nutrition with a guy with a bad reputation.

I was just asking and insinuating nothing. So, again, didn't Manny have a similar story?

#11 1060Ivy

1060Ivy

Advanced Member

• Private Access
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,657 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 26 June 2012 - 14:24

Any chance that he overworked himself in the offseason, saw his career going downhill quickly and grabbed whatever he could to stay competitive?

#12 jstraw

jstraw

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,787 posts
  • LocationTopeka, KS

Posted 26 June 2012 - 14:39

Any chance that he overworked himself in the offseason, saw his career going downhill quickly and grabbed whatever he could to stay competitive?

Sure. Yes, that's very possible. I just remember being shocked at how much smaller he was in March than in September.

#13 Fella

Fella

Juan Sumerpes?

• Private Access
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,544 posts
  • LocationPleasant Grove, UT

Posted 26 June 2012 - 16:33

Yeah he definitely looked way smaller this year that the last couple. If the drug really was from a doctor for a medical condition it looks like it would have been either Hormone/Thyroid type problems or cancer.

To me it makes it more believable that the drug he tested for is a fairly widely prescribed drug not a crazy synthetic anabolic steroid or something.

#14 SteveR15

SteveR15

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationTucson, AZ

Posted 26 June 2012 - 19:29

As tired as everyone is about the steroid thing (I know I am), no one is very trusting either.

If he has a medical condition, that would be easy to determine with a look at his medical chart. If he's declining revealing the pertinent data, then you know something is rotten in denmark

#15 jstraw

jstraw

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,787 posts
  • LocationTopeka, KS

Posted 26 June 2012 - 19:46

Is he declining? He says he's responsible for his mistake. He's not fighting the decision. I guess that's suspect too.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users